The Official Site of the Carolina Hurricanes

21 minutes ago, AWACSooner said:

Keep up the good work, JR!  But can you please wreck the Evil Empire quicker?

Yeah the way Pittsburgh is playing JR would seem to be in place for a while.

• Like 1

26 minutes ago, gocanes0506 said:

Ottawa privately celebrating. They may get two top 3 picks.

I've always kind of liked Ottawa, but they have for a long time been such a mess. Maybe that could straighten them out, that a get rid of their owner?

Getting two top picks in this draft would be the most rapid turnaround possible, especially if you want to add scoring. I've listened to a lot of experts agree, and Craig Button yesterday, Lafreniere is a "head and shoulders best" #1 pick, but Byfield is a future 1C, Holtz is a pure goal scoring machine. And if they end up picking D, Drysdale is superb. Since we are so unlikely to be picking up here, have to live vicariously through them at the top.

But, IMO, there should be a rule against any one team picking twice in the top 3. By default they have to have someone else's pick, so the idea of trying help the lower teams doesn't apply to that pick, and it's too much largess for one team. Let them get their highest pick, then slot the second pick to #4. If I were in charge that's what the rule would be.

6 minutes ago, remkin said:

Getting two top picks in this draft would be the most rapid turnaround possible, especially if you want to add scoring. I've listened to a lot of experts agree, and Craig Button yesterday, Lafreniere is a "head and shoulders best" #1 pick, but Byfield is a future 1C, Holtz is a pure goal scoring machine. And if they end up picking D, Drysdale is superb. Since we are so unlikely to be picking up here, have to live vicariously through them at the top.

But, IMO, there should be a rule against any one team picking twice in the top 3. By default they have to have someone else's pick, so the idea of trying help the lower teams doesn't apply to that pick, and it's too much largess for one team. Let them get their highest pick, then slot the second pick to #4. If I were in charge that's what the rule would be.

We should penalize a team because another GM made a dumb trade and then their team is terrible?  Im not sure I agree Rem.  

22 minutes ago, gocanes0506 said:

We should penalize a team because another GM made a dumb trade and then their team is terrible?  Im not sure I agree Rem.  

One way of looking at it is that the team being penalized is not the team that traded their pick away. (Sure they're penalized by not getting a pick, but not because of what spot the pick is in). The team that gets penalized there vs. my system is the bad team that doesn't get to pick #2 or #3. So, Ottawa gets super lucky and gets #1 and #2. The team that really gets hurt not getting to pick #2 is Detroit or whoever is just as bad as Ottawa, but has to skip to #3 or #4. 

Yes, they are still getting a great player, but the really elite picks are typically the highest. Thinking of one team getting both McDavid and Eichel a few years ago. Or both Svech and Dahlin. Just seems that those picks should not go to the same team just based on pure luck. Seriously, if we give Ottawa credit for sensing San Jose might not be good (which I don't), fine, but this bad? No way did they think that out. They took the deal they could. So it's not based on skill, or need (as there are other teams in Ottawa's stank range). It's just luck and they get possibly both of the two most elite players in this draft? 

I'm just talking about not getting to pick 2X in the top 3. Picking #1 and #4 is still outrageously good. The idea of the very top picks is to reward the bottom team with one elite pick per year.  But that is tied to the team's actual pick. Even then, the NHL has consciously decided to dilute the notion of the bottom team automatically getting the #1 pick. So even with that team's actual pick the #1 team can end up picking #4 in the system as designed. Heck, I'd even push that second pick to #5. 

For the record, IMO the NHL will not do this. It is such a rare thing for this to happen, they will just let it go assuming it will not happen again, and it would be talked about forever, which the NHL would like. 

5 hours ago, remkin said:

I see where you're coming from but when the Canucks could only manage a single visit to the Finals (and a loss at that) after getting the freaking Sedin twins in the top 3 in the same draft, i'm going to say it doesn't exactly guarantee a dynasty.

Oh puhlease, that's clearly in response to Edmonton's Smith flipping his stick before fighting Talbot. How can they seriously call the Flames giving it back to them disrespectful?

Its a sensitive world nowadays. It’s why I need to retire as soon as possible. Way too easy to PO some people.

• Like 1

On 2/3/2020 at 6:52 PM, cc said:

Yeah, I dont see anything wrong with it. Scorers celebrate after a goal...why cant goalies celebrate after a shootout or even after a normal win ?

1 hour ago, slapshot02 said:

Yeah, I dont see anything wrong with it. Scorers celebrate after a goal...why cant goalies celebrate after a shootout or even after a normal win ?

Have we already played Oilers in Raleigh? If not I would like to hear his comments after the Surge

On 2/6/2020 at 3:33 PM, Bonivan said:

Have we already played Oilers in Raleigh? If not I would like to hear his comments after the Surge

Well, we got Lindholm’s opinion last season...

;)

• Like 3

18 minutes ago, sleekfeeder said:

Dude is A-G-G-R-E-S-S-I-V-E. 

I figured Zucker would get moved.

He tried to get him last season, but Kessel vetoed the trade with his NMC

I can't help wondering if JR was permanently biased after his moves for Weight and Recci helped us land a cup. I haven't made a study of it, but Boomer Gordon on XM insists over and over that these deadline deals almost never work. Now in Pittsburgh's case they are playing such an awesome team game and have so much going right, it probably won't hurt. Also, as a GM I guess you can't be sure you'll be around to even pick those draft picks let alone in 4-5 years when they start producing. But at some point, it is likely that trading away all of those futures catches up with Pittsburgh.

But this is why I keep taking a moment to thank Francis' stubbornness in compiling picks and prospects, and rarely trading either. While there does come a time in an organization's long term plan to make trades, and Francis was too stingy at the end, I do have to respect that he was trying to turn an entire organization around from years of doing it wrong. The end result is that we now have the 3rd best farm system in the NHL and after we pick 4 times in the first round this year, we will probably be the deepest of all.  

We're finally doing it right. Be very slow to move any picks in the first two rounds IMO, except possibly ours in the second, unless the return is MORE than a rental or Lehner. 

• Like 3

As long as Crosby and Malkin are at their peaks, it doesn’t look like who they play with is going to drag Pittsburgh down much. Although Pittsburgh played well with only one of the two for much of this season, JR trades their top picks needed to restock the cupboard year after year, but it seems when they call guys up, they are pretty effective. I think goaltending has been a factor in their longevity as well. They need to go ahead and crater as our young core is ready to peak, and we are still fighting for a playoff spot because Pittsburgh and Washington pretty much lock up the top 2 spots in the Metro every year. Situation unacceptable!

13 minutes ago, bluedevilcane said:

As long as Crosby and Malkin are at their peaks, it doesn’t look like who they play with is going to drag Pittsburgh down much. Although Pittsburgh played well with only one of the two for much of this season, JR trades their top picks needed to restock the cupboard year after year, but it seems when they call guys up, they are pretty effective. I think goaltending has been a factor in their longevity as well. They need to go ahead and crater as our young core is ready to peak, and we are still fighting for a playoff spot because Pittsburgh and Washington pretty much lock up the top 2 spots in the Metro every year. Situation unacceptable!

Let face it Ovi and Cindy are generational talents and while they are still skating the Pens and Caps will be top teams. The only way to get around that is get your own generational talent. Aho is elite but not going to be that guy. Maybe Svech or Necas can. If not maybe we can hold on to 3 elite talents and wait out those 2 till retirement. 

23 minutes ago, Derailed75 said:

Let face it Ovi and Cindy are generational talents and while they are still skating the Pens and Caps will be top teams. The only way to get around that is get your own generational talent. Aho is elite but not going to be that guy. Maybe Svech or Necas can. If not maybe we can hold on to 3 elite talents and wait out those 2 till retirement. 

Agree 100%. Ovi stated somewhere he might finish his career in Russia.I think his contract is up next year, but if anything, he probably means he’ll take a victory lap season in Russia when he’s 40. I think he’s only 33 so that’s not for a while. Plus I wonder how motivated he is about breaking Gretzky’s goal record. With his concussion history, I could see Crosby maybe retiring if the Pens win another Cup, or if he had another concussion (wouldn’t wish that on him). He and Tom Brady are going to be eating oatmeal when they’re 50 if they play too much longer.