The Official Site of the Carolina Hurricanes

31 minutes ago, bluedevilcane said:

Agree 100%. Ovi stated somewhere he might finish his career in Russia.I think his contract is up next year, but if anything, he probably means he’ll take a victory lap season in Russia when he’s 40. I think he’s only 33 so that’s not for a while. Plus I wonder how motivated he is about breaking Gretzky’s goal record. With his concussion history, I could see Crosby maybe retiring if the Pens win another Cup, or if he had another concussion (wouldn’t wish that on him). He and Tom Brady are going to be eating oatmeal when they’re 50 if they play too much longer.

Brady has been relatively healthy for his career not too many documented concussions that I can think of. He is an enigma.

Thoughts for Bouwmeester. We should get an update on his condition this morning

• Like 1

1 hour ago, OBXer said:

Thoughts for Bouwmeester. We should get an update on his condition this morning

I second that OBXer, possibly some type of conduction abnormality. At least he survived.

1 hour ago, KJUNKANE said:

I second that OBXer, possibly some type of conduction abnormality. At least he survived.

That kind of thing seems to manifest way too often in the 25 to 35 year age.

Hopefully they can find the source and do an ablation or something and get him to be good as new.

It had to be cardiac or they would not have postponed the game. The NHL mandated an ED doc be present at all games because this has happened a couple of other times. Have to think that helped here. (I was going to offer the Canes, but they are pretty close with Rex, so I think that's who's doing it). 

I know Pittsburgh has laughed in the face of serious injuries, and Columbus has shaken off losing Bob and Panarin, but one has to think Columbus is going to have trouble with those injuries. They are pretty key, especially Jones. 

• Like 1

10 minutes ago, remkin said:

I know Pittsburgh has laughed in the face of serious injuries, and Columbus has shaken off losing Bob and Panarin, but one has to think Columbus is going to have trouble with those injuries. They are pretty key, especially Jones. 

Gotta think CBJ losing Jones would hurt them more than us losing, say, Slavin.  Which would be brutal.

Mo got extended, I have no idea how he's still in the NHL after so long with the worst winning percentage of the top 20 games coached. You gotta go down to #24 to find a coach with a worse winning percentage, you gotta goto #21 to find a coach with less playoff games under his belt. But they extended em.

Good for you Mo, you give me hope I can do anything.

• Like 1

39 minutes ago, legend-1 said:

Mo got extended, I have no idea how he's still in the NHL after so long with the worst winning percentage of the top 20 games coached. You gotta go down to #24 to find a coach with a worse winning percentage, you gotta goto #21 to find a coach with less playoff games under his belt. But they extended em.

Good for you Mo, you give me hope I can do anything.

image.thumb.png.61a1cdd22eefec2ec13fcf3ff7889d7a.png

• Like 1

Update from the Blues website

LAS VEGAS - St. Louis Blues General Manager Doug Armstrong held a press conference at the team's hotel in Las Vegas to provide an update on the condition of defenseman Jay Bouwmeester.

"Jay Bouwmeester is doing very well at the UC Irvine Medical Center in Anaheim and is undergoing a battery of tests to determine the how and why of what happened last night," Armstrong said. "Things are looking very positive."

Armstrong said Bouwmeester suffered a cardiac episode on the Blues' bench and was unresponsive.

"Medical personnel used a defibrillator to revive him. He regained consciousness immediately and was transferred to the UC Irvine Medical Center," Armstrong said.

15 hours ago, OBXer said:

Update from the Blues website

Armstrong said Bouwmeester suffered a cardiac episode on the Blues' bench and was unresponsive.

"Medical personnel used a defibrillator to revive him. He regained consciousness immediately and was transferred to the UC Irvine Medical Center," Armstrong said.

Not to get too technical, but that strongly implies he was in full cardiac arrest without a pulse. This is commonly due to a structural problem with the heart leading to decreased cardiac flow during exercise. But the most classic form of this almost always gets a guy when he's younger, so it might be something else. But what it was was a guy who was without a heartbeat for a while, and that would explain postponing the game, and obviously this is serious stuff. 

One question I'd have for any cardiologists out there, is whether an implantable defibrillator could withstand being in a hockey player without shocking him over and over. Given his age, one wonders if he'll find it worth trying to return. 

I can't help but recall Reggie Lewis of the Celtics who passed out and found out he had the SubAortic Stenosis structural issue I'm referring to above. Multiple cardiologists warned him not to play again. He kept doctor shopping till he found a cardiologist: Roger Mudd, who told him he'd be fine. He went back to playing, had another arrest and died in 1993 at age 27. 

6 hours ago, remkin said:

Not to get too technical, but that strongly implies he was in full cardiac arrest without a pulse. This is commonly due to a structural problem with the heart leading to decreased cardiac flow during exercise...passed out and found out he had the SubAortic Stenosis structural issue I'm referring to above.

I'd try to be positive.  I'm no cardiologist!  But have looked into a few things because of persistent PVCs during exercise.  (Very common and benign, but the rhythm can freak you out.)  The positive in me says I hope it is one of a load of problems that can be managed or fixed fairly easily.  Thinking something like WPW.  The stenosis thing you mention is a whole different ballgame.  Let's hope it isn't that!

8 minutes ago, wxray1 said:

I'd try to be positive.  I'm no cardiologist!  But have looked into a few things because of persistent PVCs during exercise.  (Very common and benign, but the rhythm can freak you out.)  The positive in me says I hope it is one of a load of problems that can be managed or fixed fairly easily.  Thinking something like WPW.  The stenosis thing you mention is a whole different ballgame.  Let's hope it isn't that!

In my opinion it's unlikely to be something like WPW (though it is possible) because the resulting rhythm from WPW is typically SVT which is rarely pulseless or causing a person to collapse. It is possible though since he had so fully exerted himself and it might have been enough to cause him to pass out do to that demand, but otherwise it usually doesn't lead to loss of consciousness. If they shocked him, it was still most likely a ventricular rhythm, either pulseless Ventricular Tachycardia, or Ventricular Fibrillation. And that's big time. You have no meaningful cardiac activity and with no intervention a matter of minutes to live. 

It is speculative though. 

13 minutes ago, remkin said:

It is speculative though. 

The good news is Jay is going to get more tests and imaging than might seem humanly possible.  They should be able to find the cause, I hope.

30 years ago when I was a younger man and had some of these weird cardiac things when I was really pushing it, they had limited testing.  The big innovation then was the fairly portable, but still big, holter monitor.  My complaint was during swimming.  "Hey doc, can I take this brick sized device in the pool?"  "Uh, no."  Anyway, they've come a long way since then.

Edited by wxray1

11 minutes ago, wxray1 said:

The good news is Jay is going to get more tests and imaging than might seem humanly possible.  They should be able to find the cause, I hope.

30 years ago when I was a younger man and had some of these weird cardiac things when I was really pushing it, they had limited testing.  The big innovation then was the holter monitor.  My complaint was during swimming.  "Hey doc, can I take this brick sized device in the pool?"  "Uh, no."  Anyway, they've come a long way since then.

Definitely. The strip off the defibrillator will tell the tale about the rhythm. Then the echo will tell if anything's structural. He'll probably get cath'd to include electrophysiologic mapping. He'll get the million dollar work up, and should. 

If it was VTach or VFib, there will always be some risk of it happening again. The more they can map out the source the more it might be possible to fix it, but man it would be tough to go out there again even after that, given what's on the line. 

I think it's happened at least 3 times in the context of the NHL, at least one of those at practice and each time there's been quick access to a defibrillator and someone who knows how to use it. But if this happens behind the play on the ice? Dang. Not only the time loss to get the defibrillator to the player, but having all of the go on out there in front of the fans. And you don't always get the person back. 

Just glad they got to him quickly and he's ok.

Just read about Jiri Fischer and a similar episode he had.  They never found the source and he had to retire.  Apparently the defibs back then didn't record the event like they do now, so they don't know if he had Vtac or Vfib.  They just speculated. 

You reminded me about something in recent training I had.  All these AEDs now record everything, including the external sounds, voices, etc.   Our instructor reminded us of this, not to scare us, but to be very direct with the vocal instructions.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, wxray1 said:

WPW - Wolff Parkinson White syndrome?  Briefly worked on an NDA to treat WPW over 35 years ago.  Surprised I even remember what the initials stand for, lol.

Edited by LakeLivin

12 hours ago, LakeLivin said:

WPW - Wolff Parkinson White syndrome?  Briefly worked on an NDA to treat WPW over 35 years ago.  Surprised I even remember what the initials stand for, lol.

Ah yes that Lake and the LGL syndrome (Lown-Ganong-Levine), remember them well when I was an intern. Had a tremendous Cardiologist, a full Bird Colonel who'd been at Walter Reed for years whom I loved as he made everything seem so easy. Wish I recalled half of it??

Edited by KJUNKANE

5 minutes ago, AWACSooner said:

Another coach bites the dust...

Boudreau is out in St Paul

I just saw that. Curious timing

The word is Bouwmeester got an Implantable Cardioverter Defibrillator (ICD) surgically placed.

They may provide more details next week.

It is out of my league to speculate further.