Jump to content
The Official Site of the Carolina Hurricanes

Recommended Posts

2 hours ago, wxray1 said:

The word is Bouwmeester got an Implantable Cardioverter Defibrillator (ICD) surgically placed.

 

They may provide more details next week.

 

It is out of my league to speculate further.

Warning: mostly medical speculation below. But it does relate directly to hockey, especially if Bouwmeester tries to play with the AICD in place.

 

For what it's worth, to me that he got an AICD means he had an immediately life-threatening ventricular rhythm when he collapsed, likely pulseless. If this had happened somewhere else it would have been tragic. The AICD has leads that are in the heart as a pacemaker lead is. It can detect the life threatening rhytmn and deliver a shock to internally defibrillate the heart. This is really a stunning piece of technology that we already start to take for granted. If a patient comes into the ED having been shocked by the AICD, right now we look at the rhythm and say, "yup, your heart stopped, but the device shocked you and all is fine now" (or something to that effect). Basically only admit it there is some other factor or if it shocked inappropriately. The classic line is that "it did what it was supposed to do." It's just so wild because without the device the person you are sending home a few hours later, would almost certainly have been dead. 

 

The question, is not so much would it save Bouweester should this happen again (it should), my question is, with the rigors of hockey, would it shock him inappropriately? This is what I was putting out there a while ago. These things just keep getting better. Early models shocked people inappropriately a lot. One of the things the device does is monitor heart rate, and if it gets above a cutoff high heart rate, it shocks the person. I suspect that an NHL player near the end of a brutal shift gets his heart rate pretty high. The AICD can also look at specific parts of the tracing to determine if it is a ventricular rhythm or not. If his was (most likely), then that might be a way to distinguish a really fast rate from an NHL hockey shift, vs. one due to a catastrophic change in rhythm. If it can read the tracing well enough during an NHL shift that is.

 

Anyway, it will be interesting to see. I would have to think if he plays, he might have to endure a shock or two during play, or at least the risk of that. It's quite a jolt. 

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I would hope for the sake of his family that Bouwmeester goes ahead and retires from the game.  He's had a great career and made enough money to keep him going for a few years....like the rest of his life.  It's too bad that his playing days may be over because he does seem like a really great guy and would rather have it end on his terms.    He is so fortunate that this happened when it did or he could have ended up dead. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
8 hours ago, remkin said:

Anyway, it will be interesting to see. I would have to think if he plays, he might have to endure a shock or two during play, or at least the risk of that. It's quite a jolt. 

 

Isn't there a concern about the hardware?  The battery pack, etc.  That can't take a direct puck hit, right?

 

7 hours ago, snuffy72 said:

I would hope for the sake of his family that Bouwmeester goes ahead and retires from the game.  He's had a great career and made enough money to keep him going for a few years....like the rest of his life.  It's too bad that his playing days may be over because he does seem like a really great guy and would rather have it end on his terms.    He is so fortunate that this happened when it did or he could have ended up dead. 

Agree.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, wxray1 said:

 

Isn't there a concern about the hardware?  The battery pack, etc.  That can't take a direct puck hit, right?

I don’t know. I’m sure they’d figure out some way to pad around that area or build some sort of protection around it. I wonder if it’s been done ever?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Dag-  Rangers

 

Pavel Buchnevich and Igor Shesterkin were involved in a car accident. While, Buchnevich was just shaken up and is day-to-day, Shesterkin's prognosis wasn't as good. He incurred a small fracture in his ribs and will be reassessed in two weeks.

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
10 minutes ago, Canesfanforever said:

The oilers did  pretty decent for themselves today . 

If it's possible, they'll screw it up though?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4 minutes ago, KJUNKANE said:

If it's possible, they'll screw it up though?

Nope  , they dont have Peter Chiarelli anymore lol  And Ken Holland is not really a bad gm  when it comes to moving players that are young ,  older players on the other hand   and you end up with a detroit problem  that yzerman has to clean up. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, Canesfanforever said:

Nope  , they dont have Peter Chiarelli anymore lol  And Ken Holland is not really a bad gm  when it comes to moving players that are young ,  older players on the other hand   and you end up with a detroit problem  that yzerman has to clean up. 

  Chiarelli gets a lot of blame for the oilers, He went to Boston with a 5 year plan for winning a cup and thats exactly what he did. So not sure if its a case of he is as bad as Edmonton fans say, or is it just Edmonton.. like the GM before him.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I hadn't realized this, but due to cap reasons Vegas had to route Lehner through the Leafs, who retained salary and got a 5th round pick for their efforts.  But that's not the reason for this post.  Remember that picture of Tavares as a kid in a bed with Maple Leafs sheets?  Check out what Lehner (nickname: Panda) posted on twitter, lol.

 

 

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 2/25/2020 at 5:59 PM, LakeLivin said:

I hadn't realized this, but due to cap reasons Vegas had to route Lehner through the Leafs, who retained salary and got a 5th round pick for their efforts.  But that's not the reason for this post.  Remember that picture of Tavares as a kid in a bed with Maple Leafs sheets?  Check out what Lehner (nickname: Panda) posted on twitter, lol.

 

 

 

Lehner is  a fellow memer  ? !     I did not know that .   

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4 hours ago, slapshot02 said:

Boychuk takes skate to face....90 stitches required. Just grazed the eyelid. Boychuk apologizes for his late response to well wishes stating "facial recognition wasn't working". https://mobile.twitter.com/BradyTrett/status/1235025780377153536?s=20

Woah!   That is a scary slow mo.  Geez!!!  A perfect slice to the face.

 

The Zednik neck injury with blood spewing was ultimately worse, but geez, the high quality slo-mo of this cut just causes my hair to stand on end.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

Loading...

×
×
  • Create New...