The Official Site of the Carolina Hurricanes

Poor Buffalo. After a taste of victory against Ottawa, they almost let a rookie score a hatty on them in a 4-1 loss in Chicago to return to losing ways. Chicago is 15-1 in the last 16 games vs Buffalo, Carolina has a 10 game win streak vs the Slugs, and who knows how many other teams own them. So does Caniac nation have sympathy for this wayward franchise ??

20 hours ago, surfzone365 said:

Poor Buffalo. After a taste of victory against Ottawa, they almost let a rookie score a hatty on them in a 4-1 loss in Chicago to return to losing ways. Chicago is 15-1 in the last 16 games vs Buffalo, Carolina has a 10 game win streak vs the Slugs, and who knows how many other teams own them. So does Caniac nation have sympathy for this wayward franchise ??

6705933021_c49fbb2df8_b.jpg

More pity than sympathy, maybe a whiff of melancholy. This was a once reviled fan base for me after the ECF en route to the cup. But in a healthy way. I liked to dislike them. But now, I can only pity them. I'd probably feel more sympathy if Skinner hadn't gone there and lit it up last year, but then it's back to pity after they signed him to that massive overpay. Just sad really.

3 hours ago, remkin said:

More pity than sympathy, maybe a whiff of melancholy. This was a once reviled fan base for me after the ECF en route to the cup. But in a healthy way. I liked to dislike them. But now, I can only pity them. I'd probably feel more sympathy if Skinner hadn't gone there and lit it up last year, but then it's back to pity after they signed him to that massive overpay. Just sad really.

I know some really excellent folks from

Buffalo who are devout Sabres fans and they are not part of the revolting crowd many of us Canes fans have experienced. For them I feel (a little) bad. Nonetheless, I recall getting into a heated exchange with their rowdies at PNC as recent as 2016. Thankfully cooler heads prevailed but I came to dislike the Sabres more actually in recent years than in 06. So I still love to hate them despite records 🤷🏻‍♂️

Saw where Hathaway received a 3 game suspension for spitting in the face of the Anaheim defensive player.  I think this is ridiculous.  They should not have fined him, or suspended him for any length of time in my opinion.  I think they should have made him play the rest of the season with a full face shield on his helmet.  That would insure that the idiot didn't do it again, and would be one hell of a message to others.  

• Like 1

Leafs fire Babcock...

As per TSN:

Head coach Mike Babcock has been fired by the Toronto Maple Leafs after a disappointing 9-10-4 start to the season, the team announced. 

Sheldon Keefe has been named the Club’s new head coach.

Babcock signed an eight-year, $50 million contract on May 25, 2015 with the hope he could lead the Maple Leafs to their first Stanley Cup championship since 1967.

“Mike’s commitment and tireless work ethic has put our organization in a better place and we are extremely grateful and appreciative of the foundation he has helped us build here," Leafs president Brendan Shanahan said in a release. “At this time, we collectively felt that it was best to make a change to Sheldon Keefe. Sheldon’s record with the Marlies in terms of development and on-ice success during his time in our organization has compelled us all to feel that he is the right person to take us to the next stage in our evolution.” 

After missing the playoffs in his first season behind the bench, Toronto posted a 40-27-15 in 2016-17 to earn their first postseason appearance since 2013, thanks in large part to the arrivals of rookie forwards Auston Matthews, Mitch Marner and William Nylander as well as goalie Frederik Andersen. The Leafs fell in the opening round to the Washington Capitals in six games, but there was hope in the organization and fan base that the team was moving in the right direction.

Babcock led the Leafs to 49 wins and a 105-point season in 2017-18, their best point total in franchise history. Their regular season success ended with playoff disappointment as the Leafs fell to the rival Boston Bruins in seven games in the first round.

Year four under Babcock saw the Maple Leafs put up 100 points during the regular season once again, but were met with a similar fate in the playoffs. Toronto’s season ended with a Game 7 opening round loss at TD Garden for the third time in seven years as the Blue and White were hammered by the Bruins, 5-1.

Babcock and the Maple Leafs entered this season with the most pressure on them in years after locking up Matthews, Marner and Nylander to long-term, big-money deals plus adding a handful of new players to the lineup.

Following this season, the 56-year-old Babcock still has three years and $18.75 million left on his contract.

Prior to joining the Maple Leafs, Babcock spent a decade with the Detroit Red Wings, winning a Stanley Cup in 2008. He spent his first two years as an NHL head coach with the Anaheim Mighty Ducks, leading them to the Stanley Cup Final in his rookie season in 2002-03.

The Saskatoon native has coached Canada to two Olympic gold medals in 2010 and 2014.

2 hours ago, surfzone365 said:

Babcock will land somewhere better.  Toronto is a pressure cooker of expectation with a long fruitless streak 🤷🏻‍♂️

Maybe he'll coach the expansion team in Seattle. Wouldn't it be funny year one they duplicate what the Knights did and give a huge middle finger to Toronto?

• Like 2

1 hour ago, hopper915 said:

Maybe he'll coach the expansion team in Seattle. Wouldn't it be funny year one they duplicate what the Knights did and give a huge middle finger to Toronto?

Babcock is a defensive coach that encompasses hard playing, physical play and heavy hitting....

something I want to personally see with the Canes.  The Toronto mgmt wants a more wide-open finesse style. Don’t see them breaking their Cup drought on that path 😏, especially against teams like Boston and Washington who eat teams like that for lunch.

• Like 1

12 hours ago, hopper915 said:

Save of the Year????

Gotta love how the scorekeeper gave the Leafs 2 goals initially on the shot....:coverears::applaud::notworthy:

I looked at this "save" in this still photo, as well as in the replay, and darn if the puck, in his glove, doesn't look like it's over the line. Now I didn't see the game and I'm sure they must have reviewed it, didn't they? But how does it look to y'all? Maybe the camera angles can't show the puck in his glove, IDK? Course we are looking at it from the back?

I remember hearing back when Babcock was hired how in a few years this team would be unstoppable.  Just you wait and see, ya'll!

Amazing as to what has happened.

My tag line says it.  It is about team, not individuals.  Put the two together and it can be dynamite.  I didn't follow the Leafs closely, but I suspect this failed to happen?  (See also: Buffalo)

Edited by wxray1
  • Like 1

14 hours ago, Caniac514 said:

Do you have a direct link?

There were cuss words and the link did a disappearing act.  I suggest looking on Barstool Sports as they have high quality content of all types.

Hockey used to make sense to me, since very little of the rest of the world does. There were good teams, a couple elite teams, and bad teams, and really bad teams, and games and 3rd periods went accordingly. Games, standings, schedules, officiating, expectations in looking ahead at schedules, no longer make any at all, and I've yet to hear any commentary regarding analytics that even comes close to explaining it. Hockey used to make sense to me. Or it could just be turning 60 next year and beginning to think that it's a younger man's fandom. At any rate, I'm just going to identify as 30, watch 4-0 leads vanish with regularity, teams with single digit PP percentages win 15 in a row, and some of the best defenses(LOL) get scored on in the last 5 minutes of play and lose or give away a point to division rivals. Hey, I can adapt with the best of em.......:twilight-zone:

Yeah I think the open game is spreading league-wide. Defenseman activating constantly. Aggressive play in all zones. Multiple forwards forechecking deep. I think there is a stat that leads are not safe league-wide. They surely are not safe in our games. I like the open game for our talented young team to make plays, but I do think the teams that can get to it and lock down the D somewhat at the same time will surge. The Islanders come to mind. 

Ironically, I really thought we had gotten to the lock down on Chicago before Kane erupted. If we can find the game of the first 40 in Chicago I have to think this coughing up leads will lessen. 

Also ironic is how we all scream when the team goes into turtle mode. That clearly doesn't work, but there is an in between, where the team pressures, but makes sure the back end is covered that does. We haven't gotten that down yet, but if we do, it will be even better.

• Like 1