The Official Site of the Carolina Hurricanes
hyena

Thoughts from STM event today

36 minutes ago, hopper915 said:

Thought it was great to see during scrimmage that one group was punished for losing to the other group by having to do push-ups on the ice

The best part of that to me was when the crowd applauded the team after the push-ups.  And the players nodded in appreciation.  

I feel the change in culture discussed in many other threads is evolving and being exposed more and more.

pepcane, loved your reply, I'm not quoting the whole thing for brevity's sake, but thanks for the great post.  It makes me happy to hear that you had such a great time at the event, especially since you are so much farther away than most. 

The ability of the players/org to do events like this isn't a finite quantity.  If they are happy with this event at the size it ended up being, happy with the turnout, etc, then great, keep it in this new format and just add another, smaller event.  Dundon has been saying how he wants the players to be more accessible.  Fine, then put them out there. 

What are practices even like now?  They never seem to be held on weekends so I haven't attended one in years.  I remember back in the olden days of the RecZone, it was easy to chat with the players and get autographs.  The practices at the arena, not so much.  I remember they used to have a night practice once a year -- ugh that was ages ago.  Those always seemed more fun for some reason, I remember almost all the players stopping and signing as they left (in their cars) because there was a big group out there waiting...

hyena, I applaud your keeping this discussion going and have a few thoughts. Living some 70 miles away from PNC, and being a full season holder for over 15 years, it's all I can do to drive 41 times a season for games. Also, it seems like forever that I've complained to the powers that be that the vast majority of STH events to reward those supporting this organization NEVER take into account those of us located outside the local area. Now don't misunderstand my point as I'm not advocating for wholesale change, but just every once in awhile, just consider us out here at various distances from the arena who would like to take advantage of these perks.

The 2nd thought I am nurturing is despite the initial salvo of "making this organization more fan friendly" that our owner sailed into the area proclaiming, could anyone cite for me ANY significant changes because perhaps I've missed them? Now I will admit that the workers go out of their way to wish everyone hello and "enjoy the game", but aside from that, I'm not aware of many changes. Food prices if anything have gone up, choices of concessions have barely changed(my wife who is vegan only has salad from which to choose), and it seems that the food credit that I get for full season tickets has decreased? So good people, where are the changes? Certainly I for one would gladly forego these, if TD would make good on another hinted at change he made(I think), that of an updated practice facility, but I guess he did spring for renovation of the team's locker room and workout facility? Just saying though.

• Like 1

Kjun: yep.  Higher food prices, less food credit for our STM participation.  Everything else pretty much same old, same old.  Oh, except they got rid of that pesky organ.  Who needs that anyway?

1 hour ago, wxray1 said:

Oh, except they got rid of that pesky organ.  Who needs that anyway?

My wife loved that organ.

1 hour ago, cc said:

My wife loved that organ.

They could put where the deejay does his thing.  Just sayin, could be an improvement.

BTW, Larry is still listed as the organist on the staffing page.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, WilmingtonCaniac said:

They could put where the deejay does his thing.  Just sayin, could be an improvement.

BTW, Larry is still listed as the organist on the staffing page.

He is, but the hyperlink is no longer active.  He had a good story there.

Perhaps they left him listed to give credit for the Canned Organ Riffs that DJ Mr. Wiz-Ill is playing.

Edited by wxray1

We want the organ back.  This is a travesty.  There is no excuse for this one,  it can't be that expensive.

Long time STH. We didn’t bother to attend. Compared to other teams, we really do a amateurish job with these types of events. I didn’t expect new ownership would rectify that.

For everyone though who insisted last year that the STH should be patient bc TD was going to hook us all up with perks like you wouldn’t believe, how’s that free hat?

• Like 1