NCAA prospects 2018-2019

C Cotton, Boston College-  3 GPs, 3 Gs, 1 A, had a hat trick

LW Zimmer, Wisconsin  4 GPs, 0 Gs, 4 As

D Martin, Michigan        3 GP, 0 Gs, 1 As

D Fox, Harvard  0 GP

C Drury, Harvard 0 GP

LW Stevens, Yale 0 GP

LW Filipe, Northeastern  2 GP, 0 Gs, 0 As

Thanks for all of these updated gocanes. Wow. I'm really starting to think we need to trade a RHD if for no other reason than to convince Fox to sign. Probably help if we could show some winning too.

I really don't know what makes our brain trust so sure they can sign this guy.

A lot the NCAA propects have taken a step up this season

Fox continues to blow up the scoring tallies

10 GP, 5Gs, 15As, 2.00 PPG! :shock:  and a +4

The Fox watch will be an interesting one.  Does he come to the league as soon as his season is over and have a deal worked out to finish out school later or will he wait to try for the squad in September?  

Cotton has jumped up with his inclusion on the a top line in BC

12 GP, 10 Gs, 5 As, 1.25 PPGs.  

He could get a contract.  i was thinking he wouldnt be offered based on his last couple of seasons

Drury

10 GP, 3 Gs, 8 As, 1.10 PPGs

Pretty solid contribution from a freshman on a solid team

Zimmer

16 GPs, 4 Gs, 6 As, 0.63 PPG

Luke Martin

15 GPs, 0 Gs, 3 As, 0.20 PPG, -2

Does he jump and be offered after his NCAA season to join the Checkers?  Do we wait until the summer to offer him?

It will be interesting to see what we do with Fox, Cotton, Zimmer, and Martin.  I would expect Fox, Cotton, and Martin are offered for sure.  

Zimmer may get an offer at this point, I would say the chances increase if we move a couple of prospects at the deadline

I doubt Filipe and Stevens get an offer at this point.

Fox is still doing Foxy things

7 Gs, 20 As and a 1.35 PPG.  His PPG pace has fallen off from 2.00 but with scoring should be lower as they get into conference play.

Cotton

15Gs (nice) and 9 As with a 1 PPG.  He has surpassed his goal totals from last season and is 4 points shy of surpassing last seasons totals.  Is he offered a contract after this season?

Drury has 6 goals and 11 As for Harvard through 19 games.  Not bad for a freshman

Zimmer has had 1 assist since the last update.

Martin has played a very solid defensive defenseman game for Harvard this year.  He has 7 assists for them.  He is also a junior.  Do we offer him a contract and does he accept seeing who is in front of him?  I hope we do, our RHD depth is Fox and McKeown.  I would like to add another capable of making the league prospect to the list.

Fox finished the regular season with 8 goals & 32 assists in 29 games, a 1.38 PPG rate.  How does Harvard do in the post season and what is his next move?

His teammate, Drury, finished with 8 goals and 15 assists, a .82 PPG rate.   Not too bad for a freshman. Harvard takes on Dartmouth in the Quarters.

Cotton finished the regular season with 20 goals and 11 assists.  He was -11 though.  He is still the NCAA forward that would be given a contract, IMO.  Cotton and BC take on Providence in the Quarterfinals.

Martin sat out the last 10 games.  He finished with 8 assists. Not sure if it was injury or scratch.  I havent found anything on the webosphere to know.  Michigan was swept by Minnesota in the first round of the Big 10 tourney.  Their season is done.  Is he signed on?  Not sure. 

Zimmer had 5 goals and 13 assists this season.  Wisconsin won the first but lost the last two to Penn State that ended their season.  I doubt Zimmer is offered a contract.

Stevens finished the regular season with 4 goals and 3 assists.  Yale faces Clarkson in the first round of the Quarters.

Edited by gocanes0506
  • Like 3

On 3/12/2019 at 12:23 PM, gocanes0506 said:

Fox finished the regular season with 8 goals & 32 assists in 29 games, a 1.38 PPG rate.  How does Harvard do in the post season and what is his next move?

Pretty much single handedly willed Harvard to move forward in the championship this weekend.

56 minutes ago, cc said:

Pretty much single handedly willed Harvard to move forward in the championship this weekend.

Win that and he may be satisfied that he's done all that he'd like to in college. Could set up nicely for us to sign him?

If no win, could want to return for another chance?

I have to take Fox at his word that he will chose the fastest route to the NHL. What I don't know is how much he will consider the players in front of him. 

We've gone much of this year using less than the full roster as we let guys like Fleury keep playing in the AHL. So I don't see why we can't use a roster spot on Fox. Signing him to a one way does not mean he can't be sent down. Seems to me (and I'm not the contract guru, so honestly someone correct me if I'm wrong) that we could just sign Fox to a one way, and if he spits the bit, we can still put him in Charlotte. 

But if I'm Fox and I really want to actually start playing in the NHL, then I know that too. So I also want to see a path to the treasure that's not blocked by no less than 4 very good to solid NHL RHD. If I'm Fox, my decision is just soo much easier if one of Pesce/Hamilton/ or Faulk is gone, let alone TVR.

I get that this D has been very good and losing any one of those guys seems risky, but I go back to the point that teams just can't tie up huge bucks on D positions 1-5, let along teams with self imposed caps. As Aho gets paid and we look forward, it's not realistic to think we can pay Slavin, DeHaan, Pesce, Hamilton, and Faulk all in the $5 million plus club. 

I think we are perfectly positioned to do this move though. Trade one of Faulk/Pesce/Hamilton. Sign Fox. Then, if Fox struggles, we still have TVR and our guys in Charlotte.

Actually, looking longer term, there is room to transition other good D men out for younger guys too. If this is done right could get a goalie, or even more offense, while younger D men on favorable contracts slot in (Fleury, Bean, Fox, possibly McKeown). 

On 3/12/2019 at 12:23 PM, gocanes0506 said:

His teammate, Drury, finished with 8 goals and 15 assists, a .82 PPG rate.   Not too bad for a freshman. Harvard takes on Dartmouth in the Quarters.

Cotton finished the regular season with 20 goals and 11 assists.  He was -11 though.  He is still the NCAA forward that would be given a contract, IMO.  Cotton and BC take on Providence in the Quarterfinals.

These are the three, in order, that I have hope for.

Fox, well he's obvious.

But as you point out for Drury, for a Freshman in NCAA .82 ppg is good. Also, organizationally we've been very good at picking in the second round, especially the top half, so that speaks well for Drury too. He's projected as more of a third line player, but that's still very good for a second rounder. I just read a piece about undrafted Seniors and how them scoring a lot when they're 22 or 23, doesn't usually translate into great NHL careers. Getting on the board in Freshman and Sophmore year is a better predictor. (As you know, Fox did that too). 

Cotton was a late round sleeper pick, and I still see him that way. He has not pushed his point totals way up into his junior year (though they are up), but he did push his goals up. He's big, a smooth skater and has soft hands. Still could be a late bloomer. I absolutely sign him and want to see him in Charlotte. I want guys with upside.

My Clarkson boys will do their best to end Fox's season Friday night to provide him as an option for the Canes.

They are a bubble team so they might make the NCAAs regardless depending on who wins in all of the conference tourneys.  16 make it, Harvard is ranked 12 right now.

(Non-related, my Clarkson women just made the Women's Frozen Four and will go for their 3rd consecutive title, 4th in 6 years.  #ClarksonHockeyRules)

1 hour ago, hag65 said:

. . .

(Non-related, my Clarkson women just made the Women's Frozen Four and will go for their 3rd consecutive title, 4th in 6 years.  #ClarksonHockeyRules)

Good luck!  But my Plattsburgh State Division III Women's hockey team will see your Clarkson Women and raise them a just completed 4th National Championship in a row, 5th in 6 years, and 7th in the last 13 years. :grin:

• Like 1

Fox.  What a pure passer.  Can really make a difference on the pp.  Touch passing, very accurate, quick decisions and great puck handler.

• Like 1