The Official Site of the Carolina Hurricanes
sipower

San Jose Sharks v Carolina Hurricanes Friday October 26 - 7.30pm

Friday October 26                      7.30 (Adjusted “one more beer” puck drop time)

sharks.JPG.f762ef08db64f0af7f09ad7a13fc5f6c.JPG                                                 canes.JPG.b155b0532c274c7a5bece84c0813b7be.JPG

Sharks                                                                                               v             Canes

5-3-1     v         5-3-1

spiderman.thumb.JPG.764b1330a7f2a73ec4a6300f43b3c9fb.JPG

At the start of a run of 3 games in 5 days, Canes take to the ice for the first time since getting some mojo back in Detroit on Monday at Little Caesars (see RBC/PNC don’t sound so bad right?). Roddy dug deep into his “trick or treat” bag and down amongst the hubba bubba and furry lifesavers he found some PP stuck onto a squashed PK and unwrapped both for a satisfying 3-1 tally.

IMG_5551.thumb.JPG.e34f1bc675b557e233e8dc778b894d4a.JPG2095719431_dlines.JPG.c273e2f1f1eb9b05de1a9a3ce9c4704d.JPG

The Canes and the Sharks have more than just their record in common, they are 1 and 2 in shots per game (good guys on top)

and measly on the back end (24 and 26 SA) with blue lines beefed up courtesy of our newbies and their Erik Karlsson. Even their Corsi stats (something my son is big on) shows the sharks 181 and us 180 with making the goaltender work - again 1 and 2 in the NHL.....

Sharks still have their "almost" Calder trophy Couture (random Skinner reference alert) while we have Seabass on 13 pts in 9 games – on track to make over 100 if he stays healthy and protected when the headhunters come calling. Aho also features in the NHL leaderboard for assists (4th,10) and +/- (4th, 9). Dougie Hamilton leads the Canes in shots with 39 .. still waiting for one to sneak past...... 

Lesson of the day is play to the final hooter as the Sharks pulled out their own magic with 3 in the last 8:20 to edge past the Preds 5-4.

Scott Darling after stopping 24/25 in a conditioning stint v Utica Comets (who?) earlier in the week makes it a 3 way choice for net minder ...

More lines and stats as we get closer

SP

Edited by sipower
edit text 2
  • Like 4

7 hours ago, sipower said:

At the start of a run of 3 games in 5 days

Who came up with the schedule? It's either a week (which is forever) of no hockey, then 3 games in 4-5 days! :) 

Hope guys are not rusty and spent their fare share of time working on PP. Darling could stay in CLT for a couple of more games :)

Good GDT sipower, thanks.

Go Canes!

Edited by Caniac514

2 hours ago, KJUNKANE said:

Nice GameDay sipower. Am wondering two things about tomorrow, will Darling return to net and will my guy Hamilton finally be reinstated to PP1?

Brindy says no to Darling starting just yet and I doubt they make another move on the PP now that they have scored.

Thanks for the spot on GDT starter sipower.

This is another test. San Jose is very good. They've been on a long road trip, but their also rested. We may be a bit too rested, but should have had more time to work on some things. I'll be there. This would be a very nice win.

• Like 1

I basically see all games as a test at this point finishing the month and a couple weeks into November. A test to continue setting a season long precedent, attitude, and norm for where the season will be spent. I think we've shown we can play with the expected contenders for 45-50, and had the special teams been on a par, for full games. Lot of teams from what I've seen across the league that fall into that vast middle where a push(or lapse) for a few minutes will determine many late game scenarios of chasing that late goal or fending off a late desperate push. I like to think and maybe have seen that we fall above the fine line of struggling to remain relevant, or having the opponents in the upper tier noticing when they have to face us. This homestand to finish the month is mixed with both, but we have to begin to show better teams that we have a home ice variable. SJ is tough, but I think I'm more interested to see our performance against the likes of the Isles right now in the early season, the caliber of teams that we need to play .700 or better hockey against to stay on the higher side of that middle ground. I wanna think that the next couple weeks establishes that season precedent and we're able to spend the season looking up at who we can catch to improve seeding, as opposed to who we can catch to get above the cut line. There are better teams but so far I think only a couple within the division. Like to see it stay that way.

• Like 1

27 minutes ago, sipower said:

Fascinating 5 on 5 shot share ... guess which 2 teams are way out in front ....by a lot ....

IMG_5563.thumb.PNG.e814a664a80a0313ae288823d844f1a3.PNG

So I saw something similar on CC talking about we are both in the top 5 for Corsi for and it got me digging into the advanced stats on hockey preference.

So some numbers to remember to go along with the number of shots.

Canes are 21st in the league for Shot % at even strength

Sharks are 25th

PDO (which is shot percentage + save percentage at even strength)

We are 23rd

Sharks at 24th

It is great that we give a bunch of shots in hopes that they go in but we give up some goals on 5v5 despite their low percentage of shots.  Both teams control the play at even strength and give more shots than shots taken by opponent, which is great.  BUT both teams are in the bottom for scoring on the high number of shots and both arent great stopping the other teams lower number of 5v5 shots.  

5v5 goals for 

Canes 9th

SJS 18th

5v5 goals against

Canes 4th

SJS 11th

The Canes are top 10 in both categories and sharks are middle of the road. That also paints another picture of the special teams.  Canes STs are bad.  Bottom of the league which has negated our top 10 even strength standings.  San Jose penalty kill is 6th and  PP is middle of the road (despite having two of the best RHDs in the league).  So they dont aid or hurt themselves on special teams.

We are middle of the road because STs are awful and our even strength save percentage isn't great (20th in the league at 90.5%).  SJ is middle of the road because statistically they are middle of the road (outside of PK% and Corsi/ shots per game).  

Side note: yes we are 2nd in the division despite being middle of the road but the metro hasn't been very good so far.  We are 7th in the conference for points percentage.  

I can copy and paste such stats in in-season if we wish to break down how to improve or we can keep the SJS comparisons in the game thread.  

So when force meets equal force you get a standoff.  It will actually be interesting to see if this ends up being a lower shot total game because each team neutralizes the other's advantage on taking a lot of shots, or if it ends up being a crapload of shots.  I really have no prediction on how this plays out, but both teams like possession so maybe both hang onto it a lot and shots are down.

16 hours ago, top-shelf-1 said:

Yup, Mrs. Shelf and I will be there with three members of our extended (almost) family. And we're getting new sweaters! Can't wait!

It's a tough call but if I got a new one in would be the 2018 Ferland model.

I'll raise a glass in front of my TV.  Will be colder in my living room than in the arena as my heat is out and won't be fixed till Monday. Ha. But there's always the fireplace.

Gotta love this time of year!

I predict Ferly will go OFF on them tonight.  This kid has the "it" factor.  It's no secret he's a fave of mine. 

Lemme ask this:  He's on one year deal, right? And he's already publicly stated (in TV interview) that he wants to stay here. My question is couched on an assumption. Assuming he stays relatively healthy and puts up (something close to his current) numbers for the rest of the year, does the front office keep give him a deal? And what would that deal look like?

Anyone with a functioning looking glass today? :)

2 hours ago, gocanes0506 said:

Same lines, Mrazek starting tonight.

FAT

Foe-Staal-Will

Martinook-Wally-Svech

McGinn-Roy-Z

Hoping Mrazek plays lights out tonight. He should face quantity and quality shots.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, slapshot02 said:

Hoping Mrazek plays lights out tonight. He should face quantity and quality shots.

We should find out a lot about the team tonight .... good goaltending and strong special teams + any kind of win would be nice. It just feels like we are on the verge of something looking for a tipping point and tonight feels like it could be it ...lets go boys ...!

• Like 1