The Official Site of the Carolina Hurricanes
sipower

San Jose Sharks v Carolina Hurricanes Friday October 26 - 7.30pm

RB out coached me again....not hard to do. When he sent out JW to begin the shootout, I didn't  agree with it.JW wasn't used much previously in shootouts and didn't expect it last night. Then Brock McGinn...the guy behind me moaned and I turned around and said poor decision. Brock buries it. After the game I said to my game partner that the shootout was pure RB. Send out your captain to lead the shootout.Send out McGinn who scored his first goal and who has been a wrecking ball the last two games.RB proving that guality effort gets rewarded. Great result but in the future I wouldn't mind seeing Aho/Svech/Foeggle

46 minutes ago, 2ndsacker said:

That was a complete "beatdown". I've seen no highly skilled NHL team manhandled that way unless it were the rolling Pens against a Western bottomfeeder in recent years. Their Dmen were frustrated to the point of just flinging the puck off their sticks to get the harrassment off of them for a few seconds. LOL. Epic 40 minutes.

No kidding. How many times did they ice the puck in the final 5min? Karlsson or no Karlsson, it didn't matter. Wave after wave, they frustrated SJ to no end. I hope the boys get the message that with everyone chipping in hard, they can skate with the best of them. So the next time we face WPG, TB, or COL, we can open up another can of whoop azz.

• Like 2

23 minutes ago, slapshot02 said:

RB out coached me again....not hard to do. When he sent out JW to begin the shootout, I didn't  agree with it.JW wasn't used much previously in shootouts and didn't expect it last night. Then Brock McGinn...the guy behind me moaned and I turned around and said poor decision. Brock buries it. After the game I said to my game partner that the shootout was pure RB. Send out your captain to lead the shootout.Send out McGinn who scored his first goal and who has been a wrecking ball the last two games.RB proving that guality effort gets rewarded. Great result but in the future I wouldn't mind seeing Aho/Svech/Foeggle

I mean if the game's on the line I'm not sending McGinn over the boards but in the shootout his career numbers are actually pretty good (80% career). I didn't groan for the Captain but he's more a setup guy these days so that one did confuse me all the same.

Aho destroyed the post but made no move, so I still would prefer to not see many shootouts because our guys still kinda just come in, rip it and pray.

5 minutes ago, legend-1 said:

so I still would prefer to not see many shootouts because our guys still kinda just come in, rip it and pray.

That's all anyone ever does.  Like HCRB said, it's a crapshoot that (my addition to his quote) has no business deciding the outcome of a 65-minute hockey game.  If it must be done, roll your dice with the hot hands on a game-by-game basis.

1 minute ago, realmdrakkar said:

That's all anyone ever does.  Like HCRB said, it's a crapshoot that (my addition to his quote) has no business deciding the outcome of a 65-minute hockey game.  If it must be done, roll your dice with the hot hands on a game-by-game basis.

Bring back the tie game.

• Like 4

4 hours ago, wxray1 said:

One thing I forgot to mention.  We listened to Roddy's interview on the way home.  He said that the shoot out was "for the fans" and just a crapshoot.

OK.  I get it.  He doesn't like it as many others don't either.  However, those points matter.  I will take it as a bit of a sly way of denigrating something he doesn't like and not really a "Gee, who cares anyway?" which is how it came off.  The SO and OT losses killed this team in past years.  I'm hoping there is more planning to it than he has let on about.

According to Tripp HCRB has them shootout in practices... if shooters win the goalies do extra skating... if goalies win skaters do extra.  So he is doing stuff and I believe more than BP did.

• Like 2

I do think that Brind'Amour wants to ride the hot hand and go with guys who played well in that game, but he also said they like McGinn in the shootout, suggesting to me he was good at them in practice. I think that's how we got to using Slavin too. Not always the guys we might think that are good at it.

Anyone else think the Canes would be wise to pace themselves with the postgame celebrations?  41 home games, hopefully well over half of them wins.  And I've gotta believe that in general they'd want each one better than the last.  I'm  thinking that the The Kayak might have been better saved for later in the year.  Having said that, last night felt like a special win, so maybe a special celebration was in order. :grin:

edit: when I say "pace themselves", I like a celebration after each home win, I just think they should save some of the better ones for later in the year.

Edited by LakeLivin

1 hour ago, LakeLivin said:

Anyone else think the Canes would be wise to pace themselves with the postgame celebrations?  41 home games, hopefully well over half of them wins.  And I've gotta believe that in general they'd want each one better than the last.  I'm  thinking that the The Kayak might have been better saved for later in the year.  Having said that, last night felt like a special win, so maybe a special celebration was in order. :grin:

edit: when I say "pace themselves", I like a celebration after each home win, I just think they should save some of the better ones for later in the year.

Nah, plenty of room for more stuff left.  They still are not dropping ropes from the ceiling.  :)

Seriously, they may develop a rotation and the surprise will be which trick.

Edited by wxray1

2 hours ago, LakeLivin said:

Totally agree. Go back to the standard, raise the sticks at center ice. And sprinkle the fun ones in from time to time. It makes them more special and keeps the fans guessing. Hopefully, we'll win often. So if you try to top yourself each time, it'll look bush league by win #8. I don't want us being the laughing stock of the league, having to resort to goofiness to entertain fans. 

Everything in moderation. Except winning. Do that all the time.

Edited by Bing_Chow

1 hour ago, top-shelf-1 said:

Then all that's left is calling the coroner.

If I'm not mistaken, for home games he'll just have to walk down a couple rows. :P

• Like 2

7 hours ago, LakeLivin said:

May be they are. 

14 hours ago, top-shelf-1 said:

Then all that's left is calling the coroner.

No problem.  We have a coroner on staff here in our little forum.  Perhaps the NHL could employ him with free attendance to all games.  :)

• Like 1