The Official Site of the Carolina Hurricanes
Sign in to follow this  
Sportsfan-1-2

Hello everyone Canes fan here since I moved to Wilmington in 2010.  Apparently, I've been a member since 2009 but I had no idea until I tried creating an acct and my email address was already taken.  I fixed that though.

Anyway, this may be better in a different thread but I'm going to mention it here so I can talk about everything in one thread.  It stinks to watch this team be mediocre since 2009-2010 (the year after they last made the playoffs).  I hope the new ownership made all the right moves and this teams play improves because they were fun to watch when they started 4-0-1, but now what the heck happened? Nobody but the Aho line is scoring right now.  Aho, man, assists in 12 straight games tying the Great One Wayne Gretzky to start a season.  That's good company.  I wonder if he'll set a new NHL record for points to start a season if he gets one next game at Arizona? It wasn't mentioned...so.  I think maybe it's time to switch some lines around.  Leave the Aho line alone though; they're the only one clicking right now.

We are still getting the chances because we have yet to be outshot (I find that remarkable) in a game this season but many shots are perimeter shots and it appears that lately we're not getting enough 2nd or third chances.  I'm getting sick and tired of us outshooting opponents each game but NOT winning the game.  When you outshoot someone 99% of the time you win that game.  Our PK is killing us this year thus far;if our PK was just a few percentage points better than it is now our record would be better (same holds true for our PP).  Our PP showed a positive sign last night by scoring 2 goals.  I honestly think that will improve before our PK will this year.

Now, let me get to last nights game.  I've been reading some posts about fans being critical of Darling.  Everyone is entitled to their opinion and I know he had a bad year last year even for him.  But come on, he worked really hard this offseason, lost weight, he had a great preseason until the injury sidelined him and had a great conditioning stint in Charlotte.  Yes, he let in a soft goal but this loss was not on him, it was on our offense and that dumb line change at the end of the second period.  Instead of trying to get a shorty Foegele should have just shot the puck down the ice to kill more time. I wouldn't have cared if he rifled it on net from the blue line; just get it out of the zone.  Don't go for a shorty unless you have open ice.  Bergeron and I believe Pastrnak caught him rather easily last night and stripped him of the puck, which led to Marchand (whom was surprisingly ALL alone) at the other end of the ice score a PP goal. 

Our offense is dead right now, PK stinks so does PP (PP has gotten a little better lately) but like I mentioned earlier I think that will improve before our PK.  Darling made 28 saves on 31 shots; and it's his FIRST game coming back from injury.  You can't expect him to get a shutout although he did make some jaw dropping saves earlier in the game.  If we win that game 4-3 it's a different conversation.

I for one think this team is better than the way they're playing.  They have been in EVERY game.  Have not been blown out; we haven't had any blowout victories either though unless you count the 8-5 win against the Rangers a blowout.  They also don't quit.  I'm hoping they turn things around on this road trip because I have this feeling that if this team does not improve their play soon especially on special teams upper management will probably make more changes.

Hopefully this 2-5 stretch they're on right now is just a bump in the road that every team goes through during an 82 game season.  They did finish the month above .500 for the first time since 2008-2009, which was the last time they made the playoffs so hopefully that means they'll make the playoffs again this year.  I'm hoping they do because I'm tired of seeing them NOT and I'm sure all you other fans are too.

Later.

Welcome Sportsfan-1-2

Looks like your ready to jump into the conversation. Check out some of the other topics and add your opinion. I look forward to the conversation

Yeah, pretty good synopsis of our situation Sportsfan. All of us long timers want new voices in here, so please jump in. Things are pretty civil around here lately, so that's also a bonus. Welcome aboard.