Sign in to follow this  
OBXer

Coaches are beginning to fall

There is some sentiment that Q lost the locker room. This seems very familiar to LA’s departure with Darryl Sutter sans all the drawn-out dramatics.  Anytime something this major happens you’re going to have a wide array of theories, conspiracies, and opinions. Fact remains Q is one of the best in the business and I’m sure he’ll prosper wherever he lands next... if he decides to continue coaching.

On 11/6/2018 at 12:34 PM, gocanes0506 said:

We should bring on Q for consultation or at least Ulf.  Great coach put into a no win situation by the GM.

It would be funny if Canes hire Q and his assistants right before game against Chicago. Maybe it will also revitalize Darling

That didn't take long

2 hours ago, gocanes0506 said:

for about a day until Q is announced.  Should be a short stint for Gordon as interim coach.

Yup, dotting i's, crossing t's--and planning Gritty's public funeral at Q's first home game, which I'd guess would be his lone condition for taking the gig.

10 hours ago, KJUNKANE said:

Shooting for Hughes no doubt?

Just using this post to make a point. I know Hughes is off the charts good, and I know this is also sort of a substitution phrase for tanking and getting a top pick, but for the record, I think that the NHL has actually moved to a pretty decent formula to discourage tanking. The number 31 team has an 18.5% chance of getting Hughes. One in 5.4. They actually have a greater chance of picking outside of the top 3 than in it. And that's if you manage to fall all the way to last. 

Buffalo was, I think, the last team that made good use of tanking before the new rules, and then, just to confuse the issue, they go and beat the odds last year (so much for the hockey Gods punishing them for outright tanking to get Eichel) and made it look easy. But they were very lucky last year, and it's not a good plan for a team to think they'll get lucky again. 

The tanking discussion is worn out on here for me because we get to discuss it every freaking year, but in the past it made absolute unequivocal sense to try to tank from the top (GM) position anyways. (I never advocate the coach or players trying to lose).  But now, I personally think it's not really worth it at all. It's still odds on best for teams to lose and raise in the draft, but the cost of trying to do it when it doesn't insure much is just a lot less appealing. 

4 hours ago, top-shelf-1 said:

I'd be surprised. Philly fans won't take kindly to tanking.

they did for the Sixers (although the Sixers really messed it up).

Okafor over the Unicorn?  Goodness.  

You take Tatum #1 there.  C'mon.  

1 hour ago, gocanes0506 said:

they did for the Sixers (although the Sixers really messed it up).

Okafor over the Unicorn?  Goodness.  

You take Tatum #1 there.  C'mon.  

True, but (1) the Sixers all but announced it, and (2) Flyers fans are not Sixers fans. They're adolescent boys between the ages of 30 and 60. 

I’d like to change my pick for next coach canned to Randy Carlisle...Boucher gets the axe this offseason instead, along with Blashill and Florida’s coach