The Official Site of the Carolina Hurricanes
OBXer

Coaches are beginning to fall

Assuming there is a season next year, and that the Canes make the playoffs for a 3rd straight year, I assume Rod will expect to be paid on par with other coaches who have taken their teams to the playoffs 3 straight years, especially having come in at the end of 10 years of futility. He made no secret of the fact he took a lower salary than he would have liked to get the chance to coach the Canes. I would hope that retaining a head coach that has been successful is considered on par with spending money on players on the ice, where Dundon has been willing to shell out. Chuck and John have pretty much shown that broadcasters are not viewed in the same way.

1 hour ago, bluedevilcane said:

Assuming there is a season next year, and that the Canes make the playoffs for a 3rd straight year, I assume Rod will expect to be paid on par with other coaches who have taken their teams to the playoffs 3 straight years, especially having come in at the end of 10 years of futility. He made no secret of the fact he took a lower salary than he would have liked to get the chance to coach the Canes. I would hope that retaining a head coach that has been successful is considered on par with spending money on players on the ice, where Dundon has been willing to shell out. Chuck and John have pretty much shown that broadcasters are not viewed in the same way.

Im sure Dundon  would not only lose the team but also the fan base if  he  did something stupid  by not paying Brind'Amour  a correct amount .   Take in all the accounts   Dundon  has publicly  stated how much he admires Brind'Amour  it's not  even a question   Rod  will be  making serious cash  .   

Edited by Canesfanforever

Lavy to the Capitals.

so, we’ll see 2 years of a good Capital’s team and then 3 years of okay hockey from the Capitals before he is fired?  

I’m okay with that trend.

I had a feeling that's who they'd go with. Heard a guy on XM say they needed a taskmaster to try to whip them into shape. Lavi is good at that, but will it work with that team? I guess we'll see. 

The sooner Washington goes downhill the better though, as the NYR and NJ and Philly are on the rise, and the NYI have already shown they are for real. That Metro is going to be brutal if Washington and Pittsburgh stay strong. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, gocanes0506 said:

Lavy to the Capitals.

so, we’ll see 2 years of a good Capital’s team and then 3 years of okay hockey from the Capitals before he is fired?  

I’m okay with that trend.

Maybe, but if you ask me the Capitals just became a threat again, at least for those 2 years.  And just when i was thinking the Canes had put the Caps behind them.

10 hours ago, realmdrakkar said:

Maybe, but if you ask me the Capitals just became a threat again, at least for those 2 years.  And just when i was thinking the Canes had put the Caps behind them.

No doubt the Met is the single best division in the NHL now

11 hours ago, realmdrakkar said:

...if you ask me the Capitals just became a threat again, at least for those 2 years.  And just when i was thinking the Canes had put the Caps behind them.

I agree that, unfortunately, Lavi is a good fit and solid hire for the Caps

Gum shortages will soon be reported in the mid-atlantic.  It could spread all the way to the southeast.

• Like 3

14 hours ago, Derailed75 said:

No doubt the Met is the single best division in the NHL now

Interesting isn't it, we've come from being referred to as the "Southleast" Division, to the premiere one? Things do come full circle, don't they?

Anyone hear about the chaos in Arizona?  It's not a coach, but I figured I wouldn't open a new thread for this GM issue.  It is kind of a similar topic.

Arizona dumped their GM, and apparently are ready to hire the Blues assistant coach.  All this despite making it to the playoffs.  But perhaps the GM firing has something to do with Arizona forfeiting their first (2021) and second (2020) round pick.  I mean, what the heck?   Apparently the Yotes were pre-evaluating candidates outside of the rules of the combine.  Bettman laid the hammer down.  This is a serious penalty! 

Edited by wxray1

Yeah, Arizona is in disarray. Their young stud GM announced he was leaving, despite being under contract, right before the playoffs, then they were caught with the combine thing and stripped of two draft picks. 

And though they "made the playoffs" it was because they were in the West and because of the expanded format. 

They are tight to the cap. 

They made the playoffs, OK not really, but almost certainly will be unable to sign Taylor Hall, and then they have Phil Kessel, Clayton Keller, Derek Stepan and Nick Schmaltz all making $6-7M/year and not producing and that's even without Hall. And their next highest paid forward, Grabner was one of the worst in terms of $/point in the NHL. 

Although they made the "play-in" round, they were the #22 best team in the league in points percent despite playing in a weak Western Conference. And even that was due to having one of the best goalies in the NHL. 

All of this and losing next year's first rounder and the following year's second rounder, makes some think that the new GM might want to just tear a bunch of it down. Not that we'd want any of their skaters, but they have those two good goalies, which we could use....

1 hour ago, remkin said:

Yeah, Arizona is in disarray. Their young stud GM announced he was leaving, despite being under contract, right before the playoffs, then they were caught with the combine thing and stripped of two draft picks. 

And though they "made the playoffs" it was because they were in the West and because of the expanded format. 

They are tight to the cap. 

They made the playoffs, OK not really, but almost certainly will be unable to sign Taylor Hall, and then they have Phil Kessel, Clayton Keller, Derek Stepan and Nick Schmaltz all making $6-7M/year and not producing and that's even without Hall. And their next highest paid forward, Grabner was one of the worst in terms of $/point in the NHL. 

Although they made the "play-in" round, they were the #22 best team in the league in points percent despite playing in a weak Western Conference. And even that was due to having one of the best goalies in the NHL. 

All of this and losing next year's first rounder and the following year's second rounder, makes some think that the new GM might want to just tear a bunch of it down. Not that we'd want any of their skaters, but they have those two good goalies, which we could use....

I've been hoping the Canes might get Kuemper but I'm reading that Calgary and Edmonton could be competing for him. If true, gotta wonder if that would drive the price up beyond what the Canes would be willing to pay? And does Raanta @31yo with 1 year left on his contract and a history of injuries make sense for the Canes at this point?  

Edited by LakeLivin

Both are very good goalies. Kuemper is the prize though. I think two years works well for us, but the question as always, is cost. 

I’m not in a position to judge Raanta’s injury situation. If he were healthy and could be had for a much smaller cost, I’d personally be interested, but it may end up only being a one year solution.

Of course it is possible after one year of Raanta that we could sign into about a 3 yr extension which would liners up pretty well for the arrival of Askarov, Should the committee choose to draft in that direction.

Still, barring injury or a major regression, two years of Kuemper on this team would be huge.

The one thing that gives me cause about Arizona is "young studs breaking the rules."   Our owner sometimes skates on the edge with regard to established NHL practices.  I'm glad he hasn't gone too far and only been ostracized and criticized, not penalized.  Me thinks he has eyes on him by the NHL Brass.

Edited by wxray1

4 minutes ago, wxray1 said:

The one thing that gives me cause about Arizona is "young studs breaking the rules."   Our owner sometimes skates on the edge with regard to established NHL practices.  I'm glad he hasn't gone too far and only been ostracized and criticized, not penalized.  Me thinks he has eyes on him by the NHL Brass.

Waddell's been around for a long time and could be an effective safeguard.

2 minutes ago, LakeLivin said:

Very good point.  He sure knows the NHL system well.

4 hours ago, LakeLivin said:

Promoting Waddell to GM has proven to be a great move beyond my wildest dreams. I could only think of him in terms of Atlanta in disarray and being relocated, but now it seems he had a bad ownership situation there, and fits like a glove with Dundon. On Kuemper, is there any chance Arizona would not want to trade him in the West and give us a leg up. I guess if you know your team is going to stink, you don’t worry about helping division teams.

1 hour ago, bluedevilcane said:

Promoting Waddell to GM has proven to be a great move beyond my wildest dreams. I could only think of him in terms of Atlanta in disarray and being relocated, but now it seems he had a bad ownership situation there, and fits like a glove with Dundon. On Kuemper, is there any chance Arizona would not want to trade him in the West and give us a leg up. I guess if you know your team is going to stink, you don’t worry about helping division teams.

I wonder how much is due to Waddell and how much due to the Committee concept and what the rest of that body brings?  I still think Tulsky may be a major player, and we've heard that Brindy has a lot more input than the coaches under RF.  

8 hours ago, LakeLivin said:

I wonder how much is due to Waddell and how much due to the Committee concept and what the rest of that body brings?  I still think Tulsky may be a major player, and we've heard that Brindy has a lot more input than the coaches under RF.  

I was pretty harsh on DW in the early days before we knew what we had, and how things run.  JR initially had him strip some of the fan perks, and that irritated me.

Now we know he has the experience of multiple owner groups and serves as a balance to TD.  Turns out that someone who survives the crazy ownership experience in Atlanta takes away experienced perspectives.

1 hour ago, wxray1 said:

I was pretty harsh on DW in the early days before we knew what we had, and how things run.  JR initially had him strip some of the fan perks, and that irritated me.

Now we know he has the experience of multiple owner groups and serves as a balance to TD.  Turns out that someone who survives the crazy ownership experience in Atlanta takes away experienced perspectives.

I still find it humorous thinking back to the press conference introducing TD as the new owner and how BP and RF seemed jubilant while DW seemed very dour and many of us, me included, thinking DW knew he was about to be kicked to the curb.  Ba-dump-bump.

I'll join in the chorus for Waddell. I was skeptical too. Seemed at the time that we could not lure a single "high profile" assistant GM with experience, and that TD just looked over at Waddell and said, "welp, you're here, I'm already paying you, I guess it's you." But the whole thing has worked out pretty well really. And DW really seems like a decent guy. He and his family sit (or sat) in 103 about half way down and he was frequently around and willing to talk to fans. I met him in an elevator once at a concert and he shared that he had just made a trade. Turned out to be Kruger for Martinook. Seemed like a good move, but I had no idea what a great character move it was. 

It surely helped this organization that the ping pong ball fell for Svech and that there was a "generational" D man one notch ahead of us, leaving Svech, a number one most years, for us. 

But the committee locked in on an unproven coach who has so far been great, got Dougy Hamilton, the aforementioned Martinook, brought one Justin Williams and his storm surge in, unloaded Rask now one of the highest paid underproduces in the NHL for a burst of Nino, but still a slightly better deal than Rask, got Vatanen for almost nothing for the playoffs, got 3 good goalies who, while not world beaters are really as good of goalies as we've had in a long time, etc. There are moves that have yet to be seen. to play out fully: Skjei, Trochek...Gardiner. They've continued to build our system with what appears to be good drafting. 

Overall they've built a team that has one of the best organizational depths in the NHL and surely whose best years still seem ahead. 

Pretty good so far.