The Official Site of the Carolina Hurricanes
spyglass88

Blackhawks @ Canes Mon Nov 12 7:00 pm

CANES v HAWKS—Round 2

48f71b848dc68da0b813255e21be69fd.thumb.jpeg.6ae727bd2103d06c20b58874907fe510.jpeg             7:00 pm          f1578b8dcae354a18eefb479e6fbc758.thumb.jpeg.2d36ca1a2aa3c3a95e7a4a1677b8c6fd.jpeg

7-7-3                                            6-8-3

PNC Arena 

TV: Fox Sports Carolina, Radio: 99.9 The Fan

The Canes are 3-5-2 in their last 10 games, but are only 2 points (1 win) out of a playoff spot in the Metro Division. The first 7 teams in the Metro are separated by only 3 points. Every win is important, but the Canes need to make the most of this 6-game homestead, especially after the shootout loss to Detroit on Saturday.  

Carolina ended a 5-game losing streak by winning 4-3 at Chicago last Thursday. The Canes jumped out to a 4-0 lead, but the Hawks came back and scored 3 straight goals in the 2nd and 3rd periods. Scott Darling looked great early, but he and the rest of the team sputtered the last half of the game. The Canes need a complete game to win!

Keys for Carolina:

1537480845_Scott-Darling-Hurricanes.thumb.jpg.929c2572a360e57d8f3e2ecc7b2d65ce.jpg                      image.thumb.jpeg.e0bd0058f332bf418efadad9eba880c1.jpeg                nhl-predators-vs-hurricanes-raleigh-usa-shutterstock-editorial-9905376a.thumb.jpg.09541b279d734a4f7fecd63cc71e1644.jpg                  41dbe47b13e87058220e223bb334f387.thumb.jpg.e6251fb2f5674c9a676b487b4d7426de.jpg                 cut-2.thumb.png.a28cb784fd9e1fff24f257c531a59858.png

Darling great entire game          Scorers gotta score                      GRIT!                       Svech unleashed                      Crowd

AND —THE BIG QUESTION— WILL WE SEE CAM WARD IN GOAL??????

GettyImages-1047733530.thumb.jpg.661e049a7422e0a20b3803058825188f.jpg

Edited by spyglass88
  • Like 2

Canes fans will have the odd experience of seeing Cam Ward, once a hero and now a foe, get lit ? up. The Hawks have horrific defense, and have dinosaurs like Chris Kunitz and young guys like Erik Gustafson who love to turn the puck over in the DZ just like Justin Faulk. This is should be low-hanging fruit and a gimme 2 points if they really go after it.

43 minutes ago, hockeybaby said:

I just hope we don't come against the Ward of '06 :Goalie:

Cam has had some pretty decent outing for the Hawks, but they have been leaving their goalies out to dry in terrible fashion this year.  If the Canes are licking their chops for some scoring, they should jump at creating some breakaways. We all know Cams weaknesses. I still think Cam is better than Darling at the moment.

Edited by surfzone365

Canes are 2nd to last in the Metro at Hagmetrics +0,  Pittsburgh has 2 fewer games, etc. 

It feels worse than it is, but for the most part it just feels like every other season which is the worst of it.

What was exciting early on was things looked different.  Need to win, turn this thing around.  Make it different.

Win.   

• Like 2

12 hours ago, surfzone365 said:

Canes fans will have the odd experience of seeing Cam Ward, once a hero and now a foe, get lit ? up. The Hawks have horrific defense, and have dinosaurs like Chris Kunitz and young guys like Erik Gustafson who love to turn the puck over in the DZ just like Justin Faulk. This is should be low-hanging fruit and a gimme 2 points if they really go after it.

No such thing as a gimme with this squad. A game against the checkers would be entertaining.

• Like 1

I went to the standings expecting the need to bring up magic beans. But to my surprise, there aren't many. We are on the wrong side of it, but only with a few teams and only one bean for all teams except Pittsburgh. The parity at the moment is crazy. This is an opportunity. 

I'm going to be there, so come on, at least score some goals please. 

Cam comes in as a back up, therefore he will be lights out (and we'll throw a lot of rubber at his chest). 

We have 4 days off after this one so we need it. We got the first game back from the road trip out of the way, and have a nice playing rhythm. There is no excuse. 

We need Darling not to miss cleanly visible shots from outside the dots. Let's start there. Oh and Foegele, it's time for a goal.

• Like 1

Also, big thanks to spyglass for a great GDT opener. Well done. 

We have had great support from the members starting these but we have come to the end of the line on signed up games. We need someone to take the next game at Columbus and a few thereafter. 

Please sign up on the GDT sign up thread. 

I will put a place holder if no one signs up, but it is really great having different styles on these starters. They don't have to be long or elaborate. 

Here is the projected lineup for the Hurricanes. (bold mine)

Forwards

McGinn-Staal-Williams
Ferland-Aho-Teravainen
Svechnikov-Wallmark-Martinook
Foegele-Bishop-Di Giuseppe

Defense

Slavin-Hamilton
de Haan-Faulk
Fleury-van Riemsdyk

Goalies

Darling
McElhinney

Of note: Pesce out. Zykov continues to ride the pine. Foegele and McGinn flip, putting Foegele on 4th line.

Darling starts.

We need a convincing win. Nothing would be finer (for us) than exorcising this shadow of our past by chasing him in the first. Except maybe Kruger turning the puck over to Zyke (er, Svech) in their D end for some unassisted high-glove-side cheese as the final nail. Edit to add: And Darling with that thing you can't say lest you jinx it.

(Sorry Cam. You were an awesome Cane for many years, but like Skins, we now must hate you.)

Edited by top-shelf-1

I stated in pre-season after the PDG signing if we are that desperate to sign PDG and have him in our line up we are in a world of hurt. Well here we are.

Forwards

McGinn-Staal-Williams
Ferland-Aho-Teravainen

Defense

Slavin-Hamilton
de Haan-Faulk
Fleury-van Riemsdyk

Goalies

Darling
McElhinney

1 minute ago, slapshot02 said:

I stated in pre-season after the PDG signing if we are that desperate to sign PDG and have him in our line up we are in a world of hurt. Well here we are.

Forwards

McGinn-Staal-Williams
Ferland-Aho-Teravainen

That whole 1st line thats really the 2nd line is only good enough for most teams 3rd line.

• Like 1

22 minutes ago, legend-1 said:

That whole 1st line thats really the 2nd line is only good enough for most teams 3rd line.

And what NHL team has 6 out of 12 with the likes of PDG,Bishop.Martinook,McGinn,Wallmark, Foeggle? We wonder why goals are so hard to come by. Would you be scared to play this team? I'd have this team circled on the calendar as a day to improve my personal stats.

2 hours ago, Bonivan said:

Is he day-to-day? Or it is something more serious?

It sounded to me like he wouldn't be out long

3 hours ago, legend-1 said:

LOL

It's all so familiar. I think the committee member we need most to worry about is the doorman... apparently he's still letting PK into the meetings.

• Like 1

I say we apply the same philosophy that been applied to us by other teams for 9 years. If they're down, KEEP them down. Keep Kane from skating through the slot in possession by actually HITTING him, and generally this team can be handled. Points when multiple days off are coming are critical at any point in a season. Not sure about anyone else, but this schedule matrix is so far out of balance it almost looks like a conspiracy. 3 and 4 days off are way too regular 5 weeks into a season for any club, but it seems especially  detrimental to ours. 

2 hours ago, slapshot02 said:

And what NHL team has 6 out of 12 with the likes of PDG,Bishop.Martinook,McGinn,Wallmark, Foeggle? We wonder why goals are so hard to come by. Would you be scared to play this team? I'd have this team circled on the calendar as a day to improve my personal stats.

Wallmark has actually gotten harder on the puck (to my eye) the past couple of games, and we'll just have to agree to disagree re Foegele. I think he'd be a threat every shift out there with a guy on the other wing who is able to keep up with him.

I'm glad the fourth has produced in a couple games in a row, but PDG has had a run or two before, only to return to uninspired play. Despite Forslund trying to sell him as a prospect last game ("he's only 24"), I have to think this is his last shot at the NHL rodeo, at least at this ranch.

6 minutes ago, 2ndsacker said:

3 and 4 days off are way too regular 5 weeks into a season for any club, but it seems especially  detrimental to ours. 

Yeah, the only thing worse is back-to-backs. The league's manipulation of the schedule to create those... sheesh. Don't get me started.

I dont know how that first goal Saturday looked on TV but I saw Athanasiu (sp) leak out and almost as soon as the past left the stick it was in the back of the goal. Not unstoppable but it would have been a highlight stop if made. He was left alone and the pass wasn't broken up. I wouldn't put that on Scott. The other 2 being honest I had 3 Mango Tango beers by then so I cant say whether they were soft or not but it's hard to blame the goalie for everything. Hope the D covers up better tonight