The Official Site of the Carolina Hurricanes
spyglass88

Blackhawks @ Canes Mon Nov 12 7:00 pm

1 hour ago, coastal_caniac said:

Still not too pretty looking at the Hagmetrics.

You know how it is, you can't fix it in just one night, but +1 looks a lot better than -1.

-1 at this point would have us on the gas pipe all week.

1 hour ago, super_dave_1 said:

We can use Darling from last night. 

He is #25 in save percentage at .913.  2.79 GA

Easy to forget he has only 5 games, his numbers move a lot game to game still.

He is in spitting distance of average at best.

I may have to feel bad about saying he can .890 with the best of them.

Edited by hag65

They talk about goalies that are blockers vs. skilled. It really seemed that Darling was a blocker. Then those saves in OT, and that one last night, and it's "not so fast on the "he's just a blocker" stuff. Our best hope is that the combination of lack of conditioning and lack of confidence turned him into .890 guy, and that he has fixed both. 

Nice to get the win, but I'm not convinced this team has what it takes..........yet. These slow starts and major defensive mistakes will come back to bite us. Can't keep coming out slow with sloppy passing. Darling kept us in the game, but it could have been over after the 1st period.

• Like 3

34 minutes ago, hockeybaby said:

Nice to get the win, but I'm not convinced this team has what it takes..........yet. These slow starts and major defensive mistakes will come back to bite us. Can't keep coming out slow with sloppy passing. Darling kept us in the game, but it could have been over after the 1st period.

Good points and yeah they were not entertaining until they got the jolt they needed from the first PP goal. Two many odd man rushes, sloppy passing, D lapses and just not playing a full 60.

• Like 3

4 hours ago, slapshot02 said:

Good points and yeah they were not entertaining until they got the jolt they needed from the first PP goal. Two many odd man rushes, sloppy passing, D lapses and just not playing a full 60.

I'll just add something that has been bothering me all year, that I've so far mentioned only in passing: Playing too fast.

I know, I know, "you can't." Hogwash. When every pass is in the target's skates or to too leading, you're playing too fast. Slow down half a step. Circle back and re-organize. Stop trying to hit guys who are crossing into the Ozone with speed when the D has shut it down all night long. Take a freakin' breath, for crying out loud, and notice what the oxygen does for your decision making.

Everybody on this team is playing fast whether their lines are in sync or not, seemingly for no other reason than to appear fast. That's a prescription for the numerous odd-man rushes we are giving up, and the opposition goals that come with them.  

• Like 2

41 minutes ago, top-shelf-1 said:

I'll just add something that has been bothering me all year, that I've so far mentioned only in passing: Playing too fast.

I know, I know, "you can't." Hogwash. When every pass is in the target's skates or to too leading, you're playing too fast. Slow down half a step. Circle back and re-organize. Stop trying to hit guys who are crossing into the Ozone with speed when the D has shut it down all night long. Take a freakin' breath, for crying out loud, and notice what the oxygen does for your decision making.

Everybody on this team is playing fast whether their lines are in sync or not, seemingly for no other reason than to appear fast. That's a prescription for the numerous odd-man rushes we are giving up, and the opposition goals that come with them.  

This certainly factors into missed passes, poor puck possession and being out of position. I’ve seen some anxiety at certain times where they were playing one step ahead of the puck and that makes for some uncoordinated hockey. 

• Like 1

This is a one line team.  Luckily our 3 top line players each scored last night.  The only other line that is ok is the Wallmark, Svech, Martinook line.  I am really like Walmark's game btw.

Darling was great that game.  I loved that glove save he made on Kane and in the Detroit game those two saves he made in OT will likely be on the list of saves of the year.  

These slow starts have to stop though...especially in front of the home crowd.  Being at home should provide the team a spark but they looked dead last night.  Darling was the only one whom looked sharp.  Good to see the PP come through and give us that needed spark for us to come back.  I was ticked we lost the Detroit game especially when Darling made those phenomenal saves in OT I so wanted the team to win it for him.  Even Tripp was saying the team has to pick him up here and get a win for him after that; something has to come out of it. Nothing did except 1 point.

But we do have 5 points in our last three games.  Hopefully this long layoff won't cause the team to come out dead...again...vs Columbus.  This division is so tight right now it's still anybody's to win and beating the teams in your division like Columbus, and New Jersey (games coming up) would go a long way in helping us move up in the standings.  No more slow starts at home.  I'm still waiting for the team that started 4-0-1 to return.  I am happy that our PP has improved (at least 1 goal in 5 straight games) and our PK is improving as well; we've killed 13 out of our last 15.  It's what Forslund mentioned last night.

Let's just hope the improvement in our special teams leads to better play and long winning streaks.

• Like 1

12 hours ago, top-shelf-1 said:

TS: good point.

Mrs. Wxray and I were discussing as much while watching the game.  The amount of "wing and a prayer" passes being made was disturbing.  It seemed to be for the reasons you describe.  Some of these we paid for when their top line was on the ice.

I know in my own work when I get in that mode it eventually bites me.

• Like 1

14 hours ago, top-shelf-1 said:

Yes,organize the chaos.Gain the zone as a total offense,not just a lone wolf waiting for the pack to catch up.

• Like 1

13 hours ago, coastal_caniac said:

At least everybody's magic beans will be clear by Saturday.

Going to be interesting to see how they grow or fail.A poor crop will suddenly put us in a better place.