Jump to content
The Official Site of the Carolina Hurricanes
gocanes0506

Come one and all to "discuss" the Skinner Trade (and only here)

Recommended Posts

Yah, the Skinner trade has me perplexed at the moment...and a bit mad.  But then I remember a signing of HWSNBN, then he lit it up BIG TIME for us the following season, and ended up with a monster contract that ended up being an albatross when he returned to his former ways that cause his ouster with the Craps...and I think the same will happen to Skinner.  Hell, I was for trading him a few seasons back when he had his most recent concussion that kept him out for 30 something games...

 

Obviously a MASSIVELY bad trade right now...but I think it will ultimately bite the Slugs in the *** on the backside of the new contract he'll undoubtedly sign...and I'm all for that!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
14 minutes ago, top-shelf-1 said:

For the record, I am not the author of this thread, and I'll thank the (self-described) moderators here to remove me as such, and to have the cojones to list their responsible compatriot as such. Funny how their pedantry ceases the moment they see a chance to dis someone, but is iron-clad should anyone else try it. 

 

I guess you weren't kidding that you have a lot of conspiracy theories.

 

And also for the record, no one tried to dis you intentionally or otherwise. When posts are consolidated, the board lists the author of the first post used by default.

 

If it bothers you that much, I'll change it by using another post -- when I get around to it.  

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
19 minutes ago, top-shelf-1 said:

For the record, I am not the author of this thread, and I'll thank the (self-described) moderators here to remove me as such, and to have the cojones to list their responsible compatriot as such. Funny how their pedantry ceases the moment they see a chance to dis someone, but is iron-clad should anyone else try it. 

 

I cant. It goes with the oldest post in the thread.  You were the first one to kick off the Skinner discussion in the in-season thread.  It wasnt a dig and Im not against you.  It is how the website codes the author of the thread.  I was the original author when it was created.  It jumped around to a few people as I continually added older posts.  

 

I did a control F for Skin (in case someone used nicknames) in the in-season thread.  If you can find an older post in the first 10 pages of the in-season thread that discusses the Skinner trade, I will gladly move that post over to here and make them the new originator.  I wasnt going to spend a bunch of time moving posts over throughout 43 pages of the in-season thread.  Control-F is how i conducted my search to save me time but be as inclusive as possible.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Just now, gocanes0506 said:

I cant. It goes with the oldest post in the thread.  You were the first one to kick off the Skinner discussion in the in-season thread.  It wasnt a dig and Im not against you.  It is how the website codes the author of the thread.  I was the original author when it was created.  It jumped around to a few people as I continually added older posts.  

 

I did a control F for Skin (in case someone used nicknames) in the in-season thread.  If you can find an older post in the first 10 pages of the in-season thread that discusses the Skinner trade, I will gladly move that post over to here and make them the new originator.  I wasnt going to spend a bunch of time moving posts over throughout 43 pages of the in-season thread.  Control-F is how i conducted my search to save me time but be as inclusive as possible.

Please. You could have started the thread with your explanation and then copied/pasted the subject content.

 

No matter. Somebody here needs to bust your balls. Might as well be me.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

just to prove it you, I just moved an older post of mine from the in-season thread.  Is that enough proof for ya?  Or just more pedantry?

 

And now OBX has made it permanent.  He went about it a different way than I did.  I wasnt going to spend the time to copy three pages worth of posts to move over here to make sure I was the originator.  I have a job people.

Edited by gocanes0506

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

It doesn't matter to me who started the thread, I think it was a good idea for it to be it's own subject.  There is also plenty of Skinner content in recent GDT's that would qualify to be moved here.  Thanks to whomever.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
6 minutes ago, gocanes0506 said:

just to prove it you, I just moved an older post of mine from the in-season thread.  Is that enough proof for ya?  Or just more pedantry/

 

I edited the post to reflect the topic. Thanks for starting the topic gocanes. I hope all are satisfied that gocanes is the topic starter.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
9 minutes ago, top-shelf-1 said:

Please. You could have started the thread with your explanation and then copied/pasted the subject content.

 

No matter. Somebody here needs to bust your balls. Might as well be me.

 

Stripes Lighten Up GIF - Stripes LightenUp GIFs

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
51 minutes ago, AWACSooner said:

Yah, the Skinner trade has me perplexed at the moment...and a bit mad.  But then I remember a signing of HWSNBN, then he lit it up BIG TIME for us the following season, and ended up with a monster contract that ended up being an albatross when he returned to his former ways that cause his ouster with the Craps...and I think the same will happen to Skinner.  Hell, I was for trading him a few seasons back when he had his most recent concussion that kept him out for 30 something games...

 

Obviously a MASSIVELY bad trade right now...but I think it will ultimately bite the Slugs in the *** on the backside of the new contract he'll undoubtedly sign...and I'm all for that!

He won't sign with them. Book it.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
40 minutes ago, gocanes0506 said:

just to prove it you, I just moved an older post of mine from the in-season thread.  Is that enough proof for ya?  Or just more pedantry?

 

And now OBX has made it permanent.  He went about it a different way than I did.  I wasnt going to spend the time to copy three pages worth of posts to move over here to make sure I was the originator.  I have a job people.

Last word.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I am in favor of this thread.  No one likes that we look like idiots on this trade at the moment.  To be reminded of it all the time when trying to enjoy a gameday thread or another discussion is irritating at best.

 

I am still interested in the subject but don't want to see it in gameday threads.

 

Thank you for creating it and the work involved.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

This team would be in the top two of the Metro with Skinner's 10-20 goals...can't say he would have the same 19, but he would be in that range...Just don't understand this stupid trade before the season even started??? That was a were out of the playoffs trade deadline type of deal. Ok Rant over!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, top-shelf-1 said:

He won't sign with them. Book it.

I'm putting it on my calendar.  June 30: "Check to see if Top Shelf was correct that Skins won't sign."  :)

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Just now, wxray1 said:

I'm putting it on my calendar.  June 30: "Check to see if Top Shelf was correct that Skins won't sign."  :)

With Buffalo, just to be clear.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
5 minutes ago, rocheccw said:

This team would be in the top two of the Metro with Skinner's 10-20 goals...can't say he would have the same 19, but he would be in that range...Just don't understand this stupid trade before the season even started??? That was a were out of the playoffs trade deadline type of deal. Ok Rant over!

Careful, or next thing you know you'll have started a thread...

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 minutes ago, top-shelf-1 said:

With Buffalo, just to be clear.

So what will happen? Rod fired, Skins back here.

 

(and other hallucinations...)

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
29 minutes ago, hag65 said:

 

I am still interested in the subject but don't want to see it in gameday threads.

Okay, now I really can't wait 'til we play the Slugs.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

OK, actually, this will be a good thread.  Thanks for consolidating.

 

I do think we need to talk about this.  I'm just tired of it constantly bombing the GDT threads.   I've had to make a lot of decisions in life, and there are some I regret.  I try not to have to think about those constantly.  I put them in a box for when the time is right.  The GD is for game day.  Injecting Skins into every game is torture.  (Edit: Hold on Top, we reserve the right when we play the Slugs because of course it is that game.) 

 

So let's talk about Skins and what if?  It is easy to say IF he had X number of points this year like with the Slugs, THEN.  But, it is a dynamic problem.  The equations of the calculus would make a thermodynamic engineer blush.  BP used Skins differently, probably in a non-optimal way.  Oh, then there is the contract.  Oh, and then the contract year.  Oh, and the "I'll show 'em" issue (see E. Staal).   It can make your head spin.

 

What is quite disconcerting to me, is the whole Erik Cole bus throwing under interview.  I mean, WT heck?  Top and I may disagree a bit, but I have to say he has good points about that, and it really does make me wonder about Brindy.    Where I may differ with Top is that I think there is something else we just haven't seen.  But then again, what do I know?

 

Oh!!! In other news, Ward (Cam) relieved Crawford last night and got shelled in relief.  Cam is cruising along with an 0.890 save percentage.  Anyone feel better?  Anyone?

 

Ah, broke my own rule!  This thread is for Skins.  I'll move the Cam talk over to "Once were Canes" :)

Edited by wxray1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I heard talk on Sirius XM to the effect of, "The Sabres HAVE to sign Skinner at this point. If they don't their fans will revolt."  And this is where the long term effects of this whole thing might have to wait a few years. Skinner is rumored to be asking for $9 million/year, and he'll probably want 8 years from the Sabres. Let that simmer for a minute. Last year we couldn't give him away.

 

I'm generally all for spending someone else's money, but in a cap league, value for money spent does matter, and my prediction is that a team the signs Skinner long term for huge bucks will end up regretting it.

 

Aside from the concussion issue, there are two major problems with giving Skinner a long term mega-deal IMO. One, he does not play two ways. Most years he has given back every goal he's scored with interest. Personally, GM/Owner remkin is not breaking the bank for ANY player who doesn't do the other  things that lead to winning.  Two, his production also varies. Imagine if we were paying Skinner $9 million last year? Skinner is a special player. I'd even sign him for my team. But not for the term, money and probable NTC that he will command.

 

If Buffalo makes the playoffs and has a nice playoff run with Skinner, and then let's him walk, it would be genius. If they get sucked into a mega deat with Skinner? The last laugh could be on them.

 

This same paradox was facing us. Ironically one of the most difficult things would have been if Skinner did well here, but then wanted that huge deal. If we sign him the risks are massive. If we let him walk the fans are furious. Aside from the potential downside on or off the ice of a non engaged Skinner, that huge deal he wants is a looming disaster for someone, and TD already knew it would not be him.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Seeing Skinner's OT goal last night just proves that HCBP didn't know what he was doing in not playing Skinner in OT.

Skinner will get paid, there's no doubt about it. He is doing like a lot of players out there, playing his heart out for a max contract, and probably will turn into the new He Who Shall Not Be Named, only for another team.

If he is successful where-ever he ends up, good for him. Past regime didn't know what to do with him, and he obviously became somewhat of a distraction for him to be given away for a bag of pucks and sticks.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I know I sounded paranoid (just a weeeeee bit???) in not wanting authorship of this thread. For that I apologize. But I nonetheless think it is important to point out that I was not on yesterday's GDT until this morning (and made no mention of Skins on it at all.

 

Further, to my recollection, I've mentioned only in passing - and then, in a joking nature - the trade or Skinner in GDTs this year.

 

I also get that he's no longer a Hurricane. So maybe "Once They Were Canes" is an even-better forum home for this? Just a thought.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
9 minutes ago, hopper915 said:

he obviously became somewhat of a distraction for him to be given away for a bag of pucks and sticks.

Or Roddy and his minions are vindictive SOBs, who decided to say he was. (Just assuring we cover all the possibilities.)

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Guest
This topic is now closed to further replies.

×
×
  • Create New...