The Official Site of the Carolina Hurricanes
gocanes0506

Come one and all to "discuss" the Skinner Trade (and only here)

The optics of this are, Skinner is going to score 60 goals this season.  In other words we had Alex Ovechkin and traded him away.  For poo.

I understand the angst, but I didn't see Ovechkin, I saw a guy who scored around 30 and didn't really play a lot of D, and that was even when he wasn't saddled on the 3rd line.

Also, when he had issues with concussions it took him a long long time to re-engage his game.  (I don't blame him BTW, scary stuff).

I understand why everyone is losing their minds on this and p'ed off.  I'm not buying this 25 game period I am buying what I saw for several seasons.  And we don't have year 3 Eichel on our team either to pass it to him regardless.

• Like 1

27 minutes ago, remkin said:

my prediction is that a team the signs Skinner long term for huge bucks will end up regretting it.

Good luck with that, and assuming he signs with a team that doesn't pair him with big, physical line mates (like we didn't) who play great D and who can make plays, you'll be right. But if he gets them, I'll gladly pay him huge bucks to be the finisher who scores twice as many goals as either one of them, who is the "pest" on the forecheck, and who draws penalties like nobody's business.

This is why I lobbied so hard for so long for Landeskog. They had history, and those two on the same line with Aho or Rask in the middle would have been absolutely lethal.

• Like 1

Apparently Cancerous Centermen can still score too. My boy Duchene has 31 pts. So much for being washed up. Missed opportunity there IMO.

Edited by sleekfeeder
  • Like 2

5 hours ago, top-shelf-1 said:

I also get that he's no longer a Hurricane. So maybe "Once They Were Canes" is an even-better forum home for this? Just a thought.

Not so sure.  Looking at the "Once They Were Canes" topic, it was rapidly becoming "Once Skinner Was A Cane" topic.  

Has anyone here even watched Skinner play this season? I'm curious. How is he scoring all of these goals? Is he still doing that gimicky 10&2 thing and its miraculously working? Or is he playing the game a different way? Or is it simply who he's playing with?

24 minutes ago, WilmingtonCaniac said:

Not so sure.  Looking at the "Once They Were Canes" topic, it was rapidly becoming "Once Skinner Was A Cane" topic.  

More content combining! Yay!

9 minutes ago, sleekfeeder said:

Has anyone here even watched Skinner play this season? I'm curious. How is he scoring all of these goals? Is he still doing that gimicky 10&2 thing and its miraculously working? Or is he playing the game a different way? Or is it simply who he's playing with?

Next Tuesday's your chance. Buffalo and Toronto on NBC.

Watching Detroit/St. Louis. The Blues look to be finally waking up, and the Wings D corps is getting banged up, two in the dressing room. But Athanasiou. What a great player.

9 minutes ago, top-shelf-1 said:

Or is it simply who he's playing with?

on a line with w/ Eichel and Rinehart at present, Eichel and Pominville earlier in the year. 

32 minutes ago, sleekfeeder said:

Watched a couple of theirs. He looks to be hanging and circling between the dots a little more. The thing I noticed was he's giving the puck up to linemates unlike the last 2+ here, freeing himself to look for rebounds and holes left by the defense down low. Defensively, I didn't see anything changed much. Is what he is. Even as hot as he has been, I still say he's subject to disappear for 15 games. I have to agree with Remkin concerning a long term big buck contract, I think he's an Alex Semin waiting to happen.

Edited by 2ndsacker

8 hours ago, top-shelf-1 said:

He won't sign with them. Book it.

I wouldn’t bet the ranch on that. I read a while back somewhere that Buffalo is only 65 miles (or not far anyway) from Toronto area, where Skinner is from and where he has friends and family. Also, not many teams have Eichel to center his line. In the end, I think he stays in Buffalo if they meet his $$$ requirements. And I think the expectation of what that was going to be had a lot to do with him being shipped out of here. Ask Lindholm and Hanifin.

I think we traded Skinner so that we can afford extending Aho and Ferland.  Mainly Aho though.  That is all fine and dandy until you realize we have yet to make the playoffs with him and Skinner.

This trade made the team worse.

3 hours ago, bluedevilcane said:

What the heck does pedantry mean? 

Nitpicker may be a synonym? As the losses mount, all of us become this. With wins, more attention is given to hockey. Go Canes

• Like 1

I agree with Rem. We look foolish right now, and maybe we were. But we are looking at a 25 game sample size. And you can’t ignore the concussion history and Jeff’s tendency to run hot and cold. Also, I think management may have known he had no intention of re-signing here. If he had stayed, who would be centering him and who would be on his line? Nothing close to Eichel. I just don’t think he would have anything like 19 goals if he was still here. As bad as the trade looks, it might be worse that we didn’t go out and get linemates for Skinner to maximize his talents. 

20 hours ago, bluedevilcane said:

What the heck does pedantry mean? 

19 hours ago, coastal_caniac said:

It's one of those 5 dollar words to make you seem smarter?

19 hours ago, top-shelf-1 said:

actually it was $3.99 (I got a two-fer).

If you got a two-fer, wouldn't that make it $2.50? :P

[now that's a pedantic response!]

Edited by LakeLivin
  • Like 1

5 minutes ago, LakeLivin said:

If you got a two-fer, wouldn't that make it $2.50? :P

[now that's a pedantic response!]

Indeed it is, well played. But no, the two-fer total was $7.98--thus $3.99 each.

19 minutes ago, top-shelf-1 said:

Indeed it is, well played. But no, the two-fer total was $7.98--thus $3.99 each.

Ah, I was thinking BOGO.  And that maybe you had intentionally put in $3.99 instead of $2.50 as bait for a pedant trap. :shifty:

Edited by LakeLivin
  • Like 1

4 hours ago, LakeLivin said:

Ah, I was thinking BOGO.  And that maybe you had intentionally put in $3.99 instead of $2.50 as bait for a pedant trap. :shifty:

Good thinkin'. 'Cause ain't no way I'm above doing it.

On 11/28/2018 at 8:14 PM, sleekfeeder said:

We bought the NHL package this year to catch Skinner (and also my childhood team, the Blackhawks). Skinner is doing Skinner things, like coming in from the wing and going right to left to score but new this year is a number of sick backhanders from the offside. He is *mostly* up close to the crease and just relentless. He's also had at least two I've seen (one for the hatty and one to score in IIRC OT) where he is going down and still gets his stick on the puck to shoot. Eichel is the elite passer Skinner never had here. He's also looked good with whomever is the third on that line.

• Like 1

On 11/28/2018 at 8:57 PM, bluedevilcane said:

I wouldn’t bet the ranch on that. I read a while back somewhere that Buffalo is only 65 miles (or not far anyway) from Toronto area, where Skinner is from and where he has friends and family. Also, not many teams have Eichel to center his line. In the end, I think he stays in Buffalo if they meet his $$$ requirements. And I think the expectation of what that was going to be had a lot to do with him being shipped out of here. Ask Lindholm and Hanifin.

If they continue to win and make the playoffs, they're a team with a huge upside. That would be enough most likely to tip the scales to signing long term. They are not in a *win now* window, their contender window has just been unlocked and not even truly open yet. Think of how good they could be in say 3 years if the players around him continue to develop as projected.

13 hours ago, hag65 said:

Well, whatever pedantic means if it's good I'm that.

Doesn't that mean you really like kids?  Or is it feet?  I'm confused

Edited by super_dave_1
  • Like 1