The Official Site of the Carolina Hurricanes
Whaassup123456789

Scoring Draught...

19 minutes ago, Whaassup123456789 said:

I feel strongly that scoring or finishing CAN be taught to some degree. It seems that the scoring chances are being shot to "center mass" of the goalies, and this can be rectified?

Thoughts?

Timing and posture are way off too.  Poor puck management, puck skipping off sticks, terrible control... I could go on. There are times when they seemed rushed and just fling toward net, then times they are holding the puck too long waiting for the “perfect” shot. They then get hampered and thrown off the puck. It’s a mess...

• Like 1

I think it ultimately comes down to skill, system, effort and confidence, and the greatest of these, by far, is skill.

Scoring the puck and making dynamic plays that lead to high danger chances in the NHL is an elite skill set and frankly there are a limited number of people on Earth who can do it consistently. For the most part, the same names keep popping up in the top lists. 

Top 10 in points for the last 4 years: Kane, Kucherov, Crosby, McDavid, Wheeler, Panarin, Benn, Ovechkin, Malkin, Backstrom. 

Top 10 in goals for the last 4 years: Ovechkin, Crosby, Tarasenko, Kucherov, Kane, Marchand, Tavares, Benn, Malkin, SKINNER.

Sound of record being scratched off to stop the presses: SKINNER?

Jeff Skinner is #10 in goals scored by any NHL player over the last 4 years combined. We traded the #10 scorer (look at the other names on that list) for Pu, a second rounder and a third rounder......I can't finish this post.

• Like 2

11 hours ago, Whaassup123456789 said:

I feel strongly that scoring or finishing CAN be taught to some degree. It seems that the scoring chances are being shot to "center mass" of the goalies, and this can be rectified?

Thoughts?

You don't get to the NHL if you don't shoot for the five highest-percentage scoring targets, the corners and five-hole. The center-mass thing (to my eye) has a lot more to do with guys trying to go 5-hole, because any keeper with sound butterfly fundamentals will close that hole more often than not. There are also times when forcing a face-off by shooting at the crest so the keeper must stop play is the best play. But generally, these guys know where to shoot and how to score.

The biggest issue I see is crisp puck movement. When you have it, more holes open because the keeper cannot adjust quickly enough to the changes in shooting angles. When you don't--and we haven't, consistently, for a very long time--NHL keepers will make stopping 40 or 50 shots look like child's play. Unless they can't see the puck. But the combination of poor passing and only screening the keeper when you won't get punished for it is deadly, and we still don't have any centers who are willing to park themselves in the crease, and to get beaten up to hold that turf.

Edited by top-shelf-1
typo
  • Like 2

What I was going to say was that the names on those lists are household names because they bring super elite talent. Those guys create offense in any system. They are the ones your friend who doesn't know what icing is, can easily see are the best guys on the ice. 

Also many of those names, oddly, have their names on the cup or been part of cup finals. There are layers and levels of offensive scoring and playmaking, but the more guys you have higher on that list, the better you do. No matter what system you have. All of the top teams have at least one guy on the list, but the best teams haver two or more. 

I recommend briefly perusing this list: Just ask whether these guys are all just part of a clever coach's system. No these guys make the system work:

http://www.nhl.com/stats/player?aggregate=1&reportType=season&seasonFrom=20152016&seasonTo=20182019&gameType=2&filter=gamesPlayed,gte,1&sort=points

The first page is the top 50 point getters over the last 4 years. Those are your game-breakers. They are spread out among many NHL teams. No current Canes on the top 50.

The top current Cane on that list is Justin Williams at #83. But his prime is behind him. Next: Teravainen at #102. In fairness if you limit the list to last 2 years Aho comes in at #48 and TT at #67. But these are our #1 and #2 offensive players. To wit: our #1 best super star offensive creator is #48 overall. 

I can't help but notice there are two "Canes" on that 4 year top 50 list: Eric Staal and Jeff Skinner. (Sound of vinyl record being scratched again.......)

PS: #89 on the 2 year top list: Elias Lindholm.

I am really starting to think we should think about getting Necas back up here for some offense.

The Checkers stormed back from 2 goals down last night, with 3 assists by Necas, who is over a ppg now for his last 18 games, but also showing serious skills. (Oh and Kuok keeps racking up points too).

If you want to see a sick Necas pass that lead to the OT game winner, go to the In the System/Checkers thread and check out the end of the video gocanes linked: click on below to be taken to the thread (then scoll to bottom):