The Official Site of the Carolina Hurricanes
Sign in to follow this  
sleekfeeder

GDT: Detroit Red Wings @ Carolina Hurricanes 20 December, 7:00 PM

25 minutes ago, PamlicoPuck said:

Help Wanted sign:

9 years, several coaches, different GM's, different players, New Owner, new stormy, new goalies, new culture and so forth,  and its the exact same results... my question to you long time faithfulls.... Other than a curse, what is the REAL problem????

btw. Merry Christmas to you all

Real problem is unwillingness to pay for 2 scoring lines.  So, we have to split up the 2-3 decent offensive players have in an effort to make more than one scoring line.  We lack a top scoring line because there arent 3 solid O players there and we lack a true second scoring line, usually asking one player to do it all.  Ex. See Svechnikov.  See Skinner (especially at the end of the Eric S years and after).  

The one time we had two scoring lines (albeit cheaply put together) we won the cup.  

• Like 1

45 minutes ago, PamlicoPuck said:

Help Wanted sign:

9 years, several coaches, different GM's, different players, New Owner, new stormy, new goalies, new culture and so forth,  and its the exact same results... my question to you long time faithfulls.... Other than a curse, what is the REAL problem????

Are you really asking this?  The team is dead last in terms of overall team salary.  That right there is the problem.

19 minutes ago, gocanes0506 said:

Real problem is unwillingness to pay for 2 scoring lines.  So, we have to split up the 2-3 decent offensive players have in an effort to make more than one scoring line.  We lack a top scoring line because there arent 3 solid O players there and we lack a true second scoring line, usually asking one player to do it all.  Ex. See Svechnikov.  See Skinner (especially at the end of the Eric S years and after).  

The one time we had two scoring lines (albeit cheaply put together) we won the cup.  

Agree, and will just add that our problems at center are bad enough that it's time to consider moving TT (who has it on his resume) to that position, and let Wallmark be the new Jordan. Of course, we'd still need two scoring Skinners or Lindholms wingers, but maybe Jordan packaged with some of our bevy of RHD can bring that back. 

To answer Pamlico's question in a big-picture way, the problem is cultural. It's nice to have an owner who says he hates to lose, but until he kicks to the curb the "team grit and team grind" BS - that you can win in this league with only one or two guys of elite skill - nothing will change.

8 hours ago, Bonivan said:

If our playoff chances seem to disappear let's hope that at least Svech would make a run for rookie of the year

If he were on the top line, it could happen. And if he were on the top line, RBA would no longer be coach... so we might win some hockey games.

4 hours ago, gocanes0506 said:

I agree with much of this, aside from the 'aren't 3 solid O players there' because i think there are - Aho, TT, and Svech.  Problem is what you said about splitting them up in an effort to make more than one scoring line.  Sure, the other team shuts them down, what else do we have?  But i'd rather have that problem than watch perhaps our best goalscorer (once Skinner, now Svech) stuck on lines with scrubs.  Put our 3 best forwards, who can all keep up with each other and who can all score, out there together and we'll deal with the lack of spending for a second line like that next.  For now, yes, Ferland/Staal/Martinook as the second.  They'll score enough to justify having them together and nobody's going to take liberties with them, and when TD finally ponies up for more scoring forwards, make them the 3rd line.  I'll happily take my chances with that setup.

I sat high in section 309 on purpose so I could get a good view of the action. I saw an offensive abomination. They looked “out of it” after the first. They gave everything in the first to only be trailing. That seemed to defeat them and throw them out of any cohesiveness achieved in the first.

Edited by surfzone365

6 hours ago, PamlicoPuck said:

Help Wanted sign:

Need to invest in the roster. That’s the real problem. And invest in a coach too. 

9 minutes ago, surfzone365 said:

I sat high in section 309 on purpose so I could get a good view of the action. I saw an offensive abomination. They looked “out of it” after the first. They gave everything in the first to only be trailing. That seemed to defeat them and throw them out of any cohesiveness achieved in the first.

Cool! I was in 310. There was definitely a lot of disjointed play. It was hard play, but not productive. The hot chocolate was good though. 

Edited by BoDarville
  • Like 1

34 minutes ago, BoDarville said:

Cool! I was in 310. There was definitely a lot of disjointed play. It was hard play, but not productive. The hot chocolate was good though. 

So you saw the same 💩 show I saw... and from an almost identical angel. Hey, we did our duty though. We showed up, cheered, yelled, cursed the Canes on. I’ll do it again in a heartbeat. I’m still ticked though.

• Like 1

I agree with most all your comments, the one thing I will add is our failure to develop players. Also believe the reason a lot of trades go bust, is that good players refuse to come here..