The Official Site of the Carolina Hurricanes
Sign in to follow this  
bluedevil58

Dougie Hamilton

1 hour ago, coastal_caniac said:

Wow, what a turn around of opinions since December.  If folks new about the broken thumb then it would probably have been different....well, maybe.

Not an "I told you so type of guy" but back on 12/21I did say "I am keeping the faith, if only barely". Not a ringing endorsement I agree, but I did stay in a Holiday Inn so had a little insight, haha. Thought for awhile that I'd wasted another jersey though. Thanks Dougie for making me look good. 

I thought the early season angst about Hamilton was a bit premature.  Not knowing about the injury, it does take some guys time to fit in.  He's looking like the real deal now.

15 hours ago, coastal_caniac said:

None of us did, but folks piled on.  It's a trend for D guys.

Faulk and Dougie were hit hard but It wasn't limited to D guys.  We were starting to seriously question Brindy and the Committee (especially Waddell), many were sure Dundon's a cheapskate who wouldn't invest in the team, and just recently some started to pile on J Staal when he was due to come back.  I'm sure a lot of it was tied to an enormous degree of frustration in the midst of years of futility.

But Happy Days Are Here Again!  Hopefully to stay!

2 minutes ago, LakeLivin said:

Faulk and Dougie were hit hard but It wasn't limited to D guys.  We were starting to seriously question Brindy and the Committee (especially Waddell), many were sure Dundon's a cheapskate who wouldn't invest in the team, and just recently some started to pile on J Staal when he was due to come back.  I'm sure a lot of it was tied to an enormous degree of frustration in the midst of years of futility.

"We and Many "= the "Cabal".  I suggest this was a vocal  minority.  IMO the larger group was more of a Missouri attitude.  The sample size and time elapsed was too short to jump to many conclusions.

15 hours ago, super_dave_1 said:

And that's all I need.  The ashtray, the remote control, the paddle game, this magazine and the chair

And Playoffs.  LOL

8 minutes ago, LakeLivin said:

Guilty as charged, Lake. Years of frustration can work on one's mind, BUT I'm a believer again. Now if I can locate that off shore island?

• Like 1

12 minutes ago, LakeLivin said:

8 minutes ago, cc said:

"We and Many "= the "Cabal".  I suggest this was a vocal  minority.  IMO the larger group was more of a Missouri attitude.  The sample size and time elapsed was too short to jump to many conclusions.

Could have been a vocal minority.  But to such an extent that reading this forum was becoming so depressing that I was about to start a "Positivity" thread in which I'd ask for nothing but positive posts.  Never got around to it because I was too lazy to outline the mechanism to quote a post from one thread and respond to it in a different thread (didn't want to curtail different opinions or additional insight, just wanted one place to get away from all the negativity I was feeling in the forum).  Heck, even Surf had a negative comment or two, and when that happens you know things are really bad, lol.  Then someone posted a relatively lengthy list of positive things in the In Season thread (was that you?), then we started winning, and things here started to brighten up. 

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, LakeLivin said:

Could have been a vocal minority.  But to such an extent that reading this forum was becoming so depressing that I was about to start a "Positivity" thread in which I'd ask for nothing but positive posts.  Never got around to it because I was too lazy to outline the mechanism to quote a post from one thread and respond to it in a different thread (didn't want to curtail different opinions or additional insight, just wanted one place to get away from all the negativity I was feeling in the forum).  Heck, even Surf had a negative comment or two, and when that happens you know things are really bad, lol.  Then someone posted a relatively lengthy list of positive things in the In Season thread (was that you?), then we started winning, and things here started to brighten up. 

There was also the Marley Drug girl, memorial, "Daily Inspiration" outlet back in mid January, to serve as a place for pick me up stories too. 

3 minutes ago, sleekfeeder said:

There was also the Marley Drug girl, memorial, "Daily Inspiration" outlet back in mid January, to serve as a place for pick me up stories too. 

I see what you did there, lol.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, LakeLivin said:

I'm sure a lot of it was tied to an enormous degree of frustration in the midst of years of futility.

I'm not throwing stones in a glass house, count me in with those complaining...

• Like 1

The fans don't have enough information.  We have a right to complain when a team was as listless as the Canes were in mid December.   All we can see is the output, not the sausage making inside.   Salt in the wound were former forwards lighting the lamp elsewhere, and Dougie seemingly not working out here.

New information shows that Dougie was playing badly hurt, and that the team was still coherent inside the room, even though the fans were outside rioting.

Edited by wxray1
  • Like 1

Proud member of the (alleged) vocal minority here. I was (and will remain) done with BS like "pucks just aren't going in for us" when the eye test shows that we're coughing up pucks in our own end, not getting guys to the offensive slot, not shooting from closer than 30 feet, and not finishing. A. Single. Check.

Maybe it's the Philly in me (okay, there's no maybe about it), but being a Canes fan should not mean accepting whatever lame excuse for 10 years of suck that the org cranks out. I'm the first to cheer when we're going good, but booing was created for a reason: to register displeasure. Maybe some think fandom means blithely accepting mediocrity because "we should be thankful to have hockey here at all," but that will never be me.  

Edit to add: I also wonder at how those claiming unflagging support conveniently forget the way this team started the season: Exactly like it is playing now. Given the performances of our Metro counterparts, maintaining even 75 percent of that energy in November and December would have meant not chasing a playoff berth now, but having already secured one. 

Edited by top-shelf-1
  • Like 2

If Dougie had been sitting back at the blue constantly, rarely pinching making us all wonder why our new star offensive defensemen was being overly cautious his thumb would totally explain that.

But that's not what was happening. Glad it's all working out and he's who we thought he could be, but I don't feel bad about previous opinions. 

• Like 1

52 minutes ago, legend-1 said:

If Dougie had been sitting back at the blue constantly, rarely pinching making us all wonder why our new star offensive defensemen was being overly cautious his thumb would totally explain that.

But that's not what was happening. Glad it's all working out and he's who we thought he could be, but I don't feel bad about previous opinions. 

This.  For my own part, i thought his positioning was horrible to start the season.  If he was playing through a broken thumb or whatever then i respect that (though it begs the question as to how it helps the team to play a guy who's injured and sucking, when to a person everyone says we have more guys to play that position than we have room for), but how does a broken thumb affect his positioning?  No remorse from me for my earlier opinions.  He's gotten it together lately, but he really did stink up the ice a few times on the way.

5 minutes ago, realmdrakkar said:

This.  For my own part, i thought his positioning was horrible to start the season.  If he was playing through a broken thumb or whatever then i respect that (though it begs the question as to how it helps the team to play a guy who's injured and sucking, when to a person everyone says we have more guys to play that position than we have room for), but how does a broken thumb affect his positioning?  No remorse from me for my earlier opinions.  He's gotten it together lately, but he really did stink up the ice a few times on the way.

Maybe the thought on playing him was, how does a hurt thumb make you not able to be in a good D position?  Because that is what occurs to me.  But injuries make you not want to get involved too, so maybe that was what was happening.

1 minute ago, hag65 said:

But injuries make you not want to get involved too, so maybe that was what was happening.

Quite possible.  But then i would ask again how it helped the team to put an injured Hamilton out there when we were playing TVR on his off-side and rarely giving Fleury an NHL game in order to accomodate having him in the lineup.

55 minutes ago, realmdrakkar said:

Quite possible.  But then i would ask again how it helped the team to put an injured Hamilton out there when we were playing TVR on his off-side and rarely giving Fleury an NHL game in order to accomodate having him in the lineup.

It didn't seem to help in hindsight, agreed.  Maybe Dougie acclimated to the team quicker is the only possible benny, which they might have thought is the priority.  Who knows.

• Like 1

5 hours ago, top-shelf-1 said:

Proud member of the (alleged) vocal minority here. I was (and will remain) done with BS like "pucks just aren't going in for us" when the eye test shows that we're coughing up pucks in our own end, not getting guys to the offensive slot, not shooting from closer than 30 feet, and not finishing. A. Single. Check.

Maybe it's the Philly in me (okay, there's no maybe about it), but being a Canes fan should not mean accepting whatever lame excuse for 10 years of suck that the org cranks out. I'm the first to cheer when we're going good, but booing was created for a reason: to register displeasure. Maybe some think fandom means blithely accepting mediocrity because "we should be thankful to have hockey here at all," but that will never be me.  

Edit to add: I also wonder at how those claiming unflagging support conveniently forget the way this team started the season: Exactly like it is playing now. Given the performances of our Metro counterparts, maintaining even 75 percent of that energy in November and December would have meant not chasing a playoff berth now, but having already secured one. 

Couple counterpoints and clarifications on my perspective:

:

Even during the losing, I don't think energy was ever the problem.  To my eyes this team has played hard all year, including the two months they didn't play effectively.  Even during the down months, the team was "carrying the play" more often than not; aggressive forechecking, outshooting the opposition by a large margin.  Unfortunately it wasn't scoring, and also had way too many defensive mental lapses that lead to easy goals against.  I list this first as I  think it relates to team character.  With the exception of the occasional game that every team will have over the course of an 82 game schedule, these guys have played hard all year imo. Brindy has said the same on multiple occasions.

I don't know of anyone that has claimed unflagging support after 9 years of futility, or thinks that criticism should be completely stifled.  But there's a place between Pollyana-ism  and BD . . . er, Debbie Downer-ism. :grin:  A maxim is that morale is like a Battleship: once it's headed in a certain direction it takes a long time to turn around.  I've experienced this in real life during a corporate relocation (even when the company did something positive, the response was negative: "yeah, but what about . . .").   My take is that for a while there, what was mostly being posted on "Our Board" was pretty close to that extreme.  And, even though I wanted to create one positive thread, the idea was to provide one respite from what I perceived as almost 100% negativity.  But not at the expense of denying others opinions (see my comment about being able to quote and respond to a post in a different thread).   And I've mentioned several times that I completely understand the general frustration driving the mood of the board at that time.

I could be wrong, but It seems like you've interpreted recent comments at one extreme, i.e., promoting Pollyanna-ism or criticizing criticism (maybe that's also the Philly in you? :grin:).  I can only speak for myself, but I was referring  to what I viewed as the board more or less reflecting the opposite extreme at one time.  Almost everyone posting was sounding like . . . er, Debbie Downer to me, lol.  To me there's a rational place between the two extremes (even if it was closer to the negative than to the positive at that time).

Edited by LakeLivin
  • Like 1

4 hours ago, LakeLivin said:

maybe that's also the Philly in you? :grin:

Oh, there's simply no question about it. Wit a big slice o' piasano. 

By the way, to anyone in or going through New Bern: A Taste of Philly in the Big Lots strip mall. Owner trained at Chickie's and Pete's. Absolutely authentic cheesesteaks, wit or witout; real (Federal) soft pretzels, a great selection of Tastykakes, Hershey's ice cream, and lots of great Big Pretzel memorabilia.

• Like 1

5 hours ago, LakeLivin said:

Couple counterpoints and clarifications on my perspective:

:

Even during the losing, I don't think energy was ever the problem.  To my eyes this team has played hard all year, including the two months they didn't play effectively.  Even during the down months, the team was "carrying the play" more often than not; aggressive forechecking, outshooting the opposition by a large margin.  Unfortunately it wasn't scoring, and also had way too many defensive mental lapses that lead to easy goals against.  I list this first as I  think it relates to team character.  With the exception of the occasional game that every team will have over the course of an 82 game schedule, these guys have played hard all year imo. Brindy has said the same on multiple occasions.

I don't know of anyone that has claimed unflagging support after 9 years of futility, or thinks that criticism should be completely stifled.  But there's a place between Pollyana-ism  and BD . . . er, Debbie Downer-ism. :grin:  A maxim is that morale is like a Battleship: once it's headed in a certain direction it takes a long time to turn around.  I've experienced this in real life during a corporate relocation (even when the company did something positive, the response was negative: "yeah, but what about . . .").   My take is that for a while there, what was mostly being posted on "Our Board" was pretty close to that extreme.  And, even though I wanted to create one positive thread, the idea was to provide one respite from what I perceived as almost 100% negativity.  But not at the expense of denying others opinions (see my comment about being able to quote and respond to a post in a different thread).   And I've mentioned several times that I completely understand the general frustration driving the mood of the board at that time.

I could be wrong, but It seems like you've interpreted recent comments at one extreme, i.e., promoting Pollyanna-ism or criticizing criticism (maybe that's also the Philly in you? :grin:).  I can only speak for myself, but I was referring  to what I viewed as the board more or less reflecting the opposite extreme at one time.  Almost everyone posting was sounding like . . . er, Debbie Downer to me, lol.  To me there's a rational place between the two extremes (even if it was closer to the negative than to the positive at that time).

I don't disagree with any of this, and I'll add that the recent additions of some new blood, whether new (by which I mean last two-ish years) members, or long-vanished long-time members who returned after the sale of the team, has helped us realize the depths of negativity to which we who have been trudging through this muck daily, together, had become. Which is not to say it wasn't warranted; it absolutely was.

We will have to agree to disagree on the number of good games during November and December. I'm not buying for a minute the corporate line that pucks just weren't going in, let alone that there were only a couple of stinkers. The comeback win at home against the Sharks in OT? Yeah, the end result was what we needed, but the team, to a man, absolutely disappeared for half the game after staking itself to a big lead, something I know we can agree has been a hallmark of the suck we've witnessed over the last decade: an inability to hold a lead. At home. 

I get that part of Roddy's wanting to rewrite history is boosting a young team's self-confidence. I just think he could have opted to let Waddell's identical claim stand, and give the fans some credit for recognizing what I think we can also agree on: That the team was fast approaching a place where winning enough games to get in would be pretty damned impossible. When a fanbase has seen that moment come and go repeatedly with the team on the wrong side of it when all was said and done, its hardest-core fans are also going to be the most skeptical.

So if you're charging me with criminal skepticism... Guilty. 

Edited by top-shelf-1