The Official Site of the Carolina Hurricanes
Sign in to follow this  
AWACSooner

GDT: Carolina vs. the EVIL EMPIRE (round 1)...22 Dec 18

Need some Browns fans to come on and tell me how it could be worse. At least we're not in the mushy middle. Mushy maybe, but not in the middle.

Gotta go find that peaty scotch that tastes like burnt logs.

17 minutes ago, slapshot02 said:

Good teams bury their shots.

We can't even generate any decent shots!  And the ones that we get have no power behind them.  Weak attempts, just throwing the puck at the net, hoping for a rebound.

1 minute ago, remkin said:

Need some Browns fans to come on and tell me how it could be worse. At least we're not in the mushy middle. Mushy maybe, but not in the middle.

Hell the Browns are still in the playoff hunt! Can the candy canes say the same?

I think that Rod should have called time-out, mid-way through the second period, and chewed out the entire team.  Someone needs to light a fire under these guys!

1 minute ago, wscaniac said:

I think that Rod should have called time-out, mid-way through the second period, and chewed out the entire team.  Someone needs to light a fire under these guys!

He’s too busy chewing his gum

• Like 1

13 minutes ago, surfzone365 said:

I can only imagine what Forslund says off the air after calling games for this team.

Probably "Holy 🤬!  How many more games do I have to call, this season?!"

Edited by wscaniac

This clearly is a problem of culture and accountability. Our players are lazy and sloppy because there are no consequences for it. Both Peters and RB preach accountability, but they never actually do anything. Hamilton should have been sent to the press box for one or more games a long time ago. Rask should be put on waivers and, if he clears, he should play with the Checkers until he finds his game. Staal should never have been treated as our 1C (or even 2C). Lines should be changed to reward on-ice hustle and heads-up play. Players who consistently play lazy and sloppy should have their ice time reduced. There is NO accountability, no matter how much RB talks about it. 

The culture also needs to be changed. Everyone who has been part of this dumpster fire the last several years—coaches, players, management—should be separated from this team one way or the other. That means Staal, Rask, Faulk, McGinn, PDG and, yes, GMDW and HCRB. There needs to be a thorough housecleaning. 

Otherwise, it's going to be tonight repeated over and over and over . . . .  

Edited by spyglass88
  • Like 1

4 minutes ago, spyglass88 said:

This clearly is a problem of culture and accountability. Our players are lazy and sloppy because there are no consequences for it. Both Peters and RB preach accountability, but they never actually do anything. Hamilton should have been sent to the press box for one or more games a long time ago. Rask should be put on waivers and, if he clears, he should play with the Checkers until he finds his game. Staal should never have been treated as our 1C (or even 2C). Lines should be changed to reward on-ice hustle and heads-up play. Players who consistently play lazy and sloppy should have their ice time reduced. There is NO accountability, no matter how much RB talks about it. 

The culture also needs to be changed. Everyone who have been part of this dumpster fire the last several years—coaches, players, management—should be separated from this team one way or the other. That means Staal, Rask, Faulk, McGinn, PDG and, yes, GMDW and HCRB. 

Otherwise, it's going to be tonight repeated over and over and over . . . .  

I agree in principle with what you stated above but I’m sure you would agree that there is a Grand Canyon sized disparity in skill level between the two teams we are watching tonight. It’s not just about accountability...

• Like 5

7 minutes ago, wscaniac said:

Probably "Holy 🤬!  How many more games do I have to call, this season?!"

Mrs. Wxray noted John's enthusiasm for Sydney's play.  We both agreed "Why not?". Calling the Canes has to be torture.   Get your excitement where you can.   With TDs antics, I would not be surprised to see John find his next contract elsewhere.

• Like 1

Just now, RickD_99 said:

I agree in principle with what you stated above but I’m sure you would agree that there is a Grand Canyon sized disparity in skill level between the two teams we are watching tonight. It’s not just about accountability...

Of course. I'm talking about the team we have on the ice, not the team we don't have on the ice. Our biggest problem is that we're just not that talented. But until we get some talented players, something needs to be done with our current players.

• Like 1

The culture. The playoffs. The D. The goalie. The easy to play against. The million shots no goals. The lack of talent. The coaches. The owner. The GM. Not physical enough. Etc. 

I get it, we want to figure it out. But I've listened to the diagnosis and the treatments for so long I just don't know how much longer I can take it. 

I stay with my theory. Not enough dynamically talented forwards. We've been getting good goaltending so throw that one out. We hit people more, so throw that one out. We have a really good D, so throw that one out (even Faulk is playing solid D for crying out loud). We are #6 in face off wins, and were number ONE last year, so throw that one out. 

But guys like Rask, McGinn, PDG, even Staal, just don't make plays at a high NHL level. Really, they are just looking to make the next little play to the next guy up the boards. That just does not create NHL offense. Tonight? We were undressed by skill, particularly Crosby, and we are most nights. Get a bunch of talent and roll the dang pucks out there. 

But that's just my 2 cents in a huge vat of pennies thrown in over the years in some attempt to figure this mush out.

• Like 1

Worst thing that could've happened was for this team to start out 4-1.  Expectations, clearly, surpassed reality.  They gave us a snow-job, and we all went out and bought skis.

• Like 2

Well...this was God awful to listen to and watch- there was nothing positive ...nothing -agree the talent Gap is huge- stop pounding the square peg into the round hole- TD did you hear that...this was a home game .... stop all the gimmicks -get some NHL players - you traded 2 NHL players and got AHL talent in return - For the record- I’m not a fan of Whalers night- were the Hurricanes already-

Edited by Pkling40

3 minutes ago, wxray1 said:

Mrs. Wxray noted John's enthusiasm for Sydney's play.  We both agreed "Why not?". Calling the Canes has to be torture.   Get your excitement where you can.   With TDs antics, I would not be surprised to see John find his next contract elsewhere.

He does a great job.  Imo, he's one of the best in the business. Wouldn't be surprised to see NBC make him a more permanent offer.

2 minutes ago, remkin said:

The culture. The playoffs. The D. The goalie. The easy to play against. The million shots no goals. The lack of talent. The coaches. The owner. The GM. Not physical enough. Etc. 

I get it, we want to figure it out. But I've listened to the diagnosis and the treatments for so long I just don't know how much longer I can take it. 

I stay with my theory. Not enough dynamically talented forwards. We've been getting good goaltending so throw that one out. We hit people more, so throw that one out. We have a really good D, so throw that one out. We are #6 in face off wins, and were number ONE last year, so throw that one out. 

But guys like Rask, McGinn, PDG, even Staal, just don't make plays at a high NHL level. Really, they are just looking to make the next little play to the next guy up the boards. That just does not create NHL offense. Tonight? We were undressed by skill, particularly Crosby. Get a bunch of talent and roll the dang pucks out there. 

But that's just my 2 cents in a huge vat of pennies.

Rem, I agree. I've been saying all along that we're just not that talented. But this also seems to be a place where talent goes to die. 

• Like 3

Folks, we've had low points the last few years.   But something about this time is extremely disturbing.  It ain't good.   

What does Rod say after this one? It has to really stink being and NHL coach on a feckless team that just keeps not getting it done and having to find something to say after every loss. Do we like our group? Does he go full on Jim Mora "Playoffs?" "Playoffs?".  Do we need something like this?

9 minutes ago, wxray1 said:

Folks, we've had low points the last few years.   But something about this time is extremely disturbing.  It ain't good.   

As I just posted, on Facebook, I'm not one who raises the white flag, but this is a dumpster fire.  I have tix to the Buffalo game, and I have ZERO interest in making the trip from Winston-Salem. :whiteflag:

Edited by wscaniac