beboplar

Still a Whalers Fan

I told myself when the Whalers moved to Carolina I would continue to be true to them and follow them, at least until any connection to the Whalers no longer existed.  I don't live anywhere near either Hartford (birthplace) or Raleigh (never been), but when the team visits the west coast I try and see them if my schedule permits.  The seemingly tenuous connection between the Whalers and Hurricanes ended with the firing of Ronnie Franchise last season;  then again, the new owner has honored the Whale by dressing the team in Whalers logos and performing Brass Bonanza when they score on Whalers night.  So, here I am still following the team after all these years (I date back to the Howe era).

I don't get to see the team first hand, and they are not televised out here, so all of your feedback is appreciated.  Ronnie Franchise did some things right in terms of his patience and stock piling some young talent via the draft and trades.  Signing Scott Darling to a 4 year deal untested as a starter was not a highlight.  Signing Alexander Semin long term was pretty bad, and the length of Jordan Staal's deal with a no trade clause inclusion was not too good.  None of those bad decisions approaches what seems like the worst sports trade I can recall of Skinner with Buffalo last summer.  I don't think we will be seeing Cliff Pu with the parent team anytime soon.  

All is not bad though.  We need to add a legitimate top line scorer.  We have some scoring talent in Aho, Teuvo, Svechnikov, and hopefully Necas.  Wallmark, Ferland, and Foegle have all been positive additions.  Williams is on his last legs, Rask offers nothing and was another bad signing, McGinn and D'Guisepe are grinders at best.  There are a few guys at Charlotte such as Gauthier, Roy, and Kaukeunnen, but we need a finisher.  We need someone who will raise Staal's offensive game, since he is going nowhere.  

With the plethora of defensemen in Raleigh and guys such as McKeon and Bean in Charlotte, and Fox and Martin on their way, we need to deal Dougie Hamilton or ANY of the Raleigh defenders not named Slavin (though I would prefer not to deal Pesce) ASAP if we want to compete.  If we don't want to compete, tank and go for Jack Hughes.  We we're so lucky in the lottery last year to get Svechnikov, but they pretty much decided to trade that luck and unload Skinner for exactly nothing.  Beyond head scratching, but behind us.  Maybe they were planning on tanking all along.

Thoughts?

Nice first post bepoplar. This area is usually a "hi I'm new" area. Nothing wrong with your post at all, just not sure how much traction it will get here. I guess we'll see. At some point you can repost the basic idea in one of the other threads if you want. Welcome.

Thanks; I reposted it to a content area a short while ago.  The Skinner deal must have already been directed over and over.  From a new ownership and new management situation, it feels as if it was a culture shift, giving up 1 year of contract and budget savings for a player the team had no intentions on resigning.  Still, given their trials at putting the puck in the net, the return had to be better.

Right now it feels as if we need a scorer more than we need goaltending.

• Like 1

Yeah on the goaltending that is still a major long term issue but this year, once they shut Darling down we've gotten decent enough tending. Need more dynamic skill up front.

It is not common for a team to address a weakness (scoring) by shipping out 2 of its top 6 scorers, Skinner and Lindholm.  Yes, they expect Svechnikov to be better than either, and yes, they thought Necas was ready to contribute this season at the NHL level.  Still, moving forward they need to trade current assets on the blue line and/or future ones such as Bean for up front talent.

Even without that, I am not sure what playing D'Guisepe or McGinn or Bishop does for them at the expense of playing Roy or Gauthier, who supposedly have higher upside.  Does this have something to do with protecting them from the Seattle expansion draft?  Kind of a drag to have to protect Jordan Staal.  Why hasn't Andrew Potaralsky gotten a taste of Raleigh?

Poturalski got a brief taste at one point and really looked overmatched. He's really past the age where he's likely to be an NHLer, but you never know. Roy has had a couple of tastes, but not really stuck. I still have hopes for Gauthier, but I think he needs to really push in the AHL on the goal scoring sheet. I do think that he's the prototype of a guy who might bloom late: big, not huge hockey IQ, but great hands and talented. Probably are also protecting him at this point.

4 hours ago, beboplar said:

It is not common for a team to address a weakness (scoring) by shipping out 2 of its top 6 scorers, Skinner and Lindholm.  Yes, they expect Svechnikov to be better than either, and yes, they thought Necas was ready to contribute this season at the NHL level.  Still, moving forward they need to trade current assets on the blue line and/or future ones such as Bean for up front talent.

Even without that, I am not sure what playing D'Guisepe or McGinn or Bishop does for them at the expense of playing Roy or Gauthier, who supposedly have higher upside.  Does this have something to do with protecting them from the Seattle expansion draft?  Kind of a drag to have to protect Jordan Staal.  Why hasn't Andrew Potaralsky gotten a taste of Raleigh?

To be fair, on paper Hamilton and Ferland looked to score a lot more than Hanifin and Lindholm, with Fox as a potential high scoring d-man as a kicker. 

Skinner? :blink::dizzy::facepalm2:

Edited by LakeLivin

Ferland and Martinook have been a huge plus, providing some missing grit.  The team is not a bust, just needs to have the lineup tweaked a bit with one or two additions.  Rask needs a new start elsewhere.