Jump to content
The Official Site of the Carolina Hurricanes
Sign in to follow this  
coffeedawgs

New Downtown Arena??

Recommended Posts

I always felt charlotte nc would have been a better place for the hurricanes charlotte is one of the most fastest growing places  in the COUNTRY  , we have the n.f.l panthers n.b.a hornets lets bring the canes to the queen city 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Just now, ja1964 said:

I always felt charlotte nc would have been a better place for the hurricanes charlotte is one of the most fastest growing places  in the COUNTRY  , we have the n.f.l panthers n.b.a hornets lets bring the canes to the queen city 

Lets not

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On ‎12‎/‎27‎/‎2018 at 7:36 PM, surfzone365 said:

Raleigh is a growing city and I think it “might” be doable in the future.  Growing up in Chicago, having to go into the city to see any sporting event was always a PITA but fans will go anywhere if you’re winning. Personally I love driving right up to PNCs front door. The pine forest campus feel (vs skyscrapers 🏙 and city traffic) has always been a nice non-traditional feel I have enjoyed with relative ease. If TD wants a more urban setting I have no issues with that either if is good the economy and levies independence from NC States scheduling.

Raleigh is a nice growing city like you said but there a COLLEGE SPORTS CITY

Edited by ja1964
makes more sense

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 12/26/2018 at 8:16 PM, bluedevilcane said:

Well he didn’t do anything to quiet the cynics who think he only bought the team to relocate it. I assume he came to Raleigh and figured out the arena was not downtown before he bought the team. He might also want to consider that the building was conceived and built originally for N.C. State, which is in West Raleigh, not downtown. 

That’s exactly why he bought the team. What I’ve said from Day 1. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

It’s fine where it is and equally inconvenient for Raleigh and Durham

 

Of the two cities, Durham is the one growing while catering to a younger demographic. It’s best sites are currently being develop for condos though. 

 

Eotger way it it doesn’t matter. I suspect the Canes next move is to Houston.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
44 minutes ago, ja1964 said:

Raleigh is a nice growing city like you said but there a COLLEGE SPORTS CITY

 

And Charlotte was a nice growing city, just like Raleigh, before they got NFL and NBA. But what have those two done. NBA is thinking about moving on to it's third arena, and lost their franchise, NFL, well that record speaks for itself, thud!  Close but no cigar. Rethink shouting about college sports city.

Edited by winger52

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, ja1964 said:

I always felt charlotte nc would have been a better place for the hurricanes charlotte is one of the most fastest growing places  in the COUNTRY  , we have the n.f.l panthers n.b.a hornets lets bring the canes to the queen city 

 

 

Dude, no.  Just no.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, ja1964 said:

Raleigh is a nice growing city like you said but there a COLLEGE SPORTS CITY

True, the Triangle area is heavy college but one could also say that about the entire state. Rightfully so, as the first pro franchise didnt exist until the late 80's.  I love Charlotte and think it is a great sports town, but we know Raleigh can fill the arena if/when a decent product is on the ice.  We're not having this discussion back in 2006 or if the Canes weren't in a 10-year playoff drought. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

The location of the arena and the team are not the problem.  The product on the ice is.  First fix that, then tackle the other stuff.  Nothing else matters if we continue to not make the playoffs.

 

Downtown arena is a great idea for me, even though I live much close to the PNC location today.  There is just something different about a downtown arena vibe that just makes a city feel more happening...  I travel to Nashville frequently for business, and you know when there is a Predators game.  The vibe is just a bit different than the other times (which admittedly are "happening")....

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 1/2/2019 at 8:19 PM, winger52 said:

 

NBA is thinking about moving on to it's third arena, and lost their franchise, NFL, well that record speaks for itself, thud!  

Literally none of this makes any sense. Absolutely no discussion has been had about another arena. Hornets' arena is one of the newest in the NBA. Panthers' record speaks for itself? Uh, the Panthers have more division titles since 2013 than the Canes in their entire history. Just don't have a ring.

 

As for Houston, see the Arizona Coyotes.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

So much negativity in here. You think no team will leave in the next 6 seasons, before the Hurricanes' deal is up? Phoenix Coyotes and the Florida Panthers would be perfect for Houston and Quebec City. Phoenix has no owner and Florida has no fanbase, loses more money than us and the state has another team anyway.

 

Canes are fortunate in that the state government on both sides seem to be huge Canes fans, particularly the governor. I could be wrong but I stand by the belief that winning games, locking up good players and marketing around Raleigh will do wonders for the concerns of moving. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
11 hours ago, BoDarville said:

I could be wrong but I stand by the belief that winning games, locking up good players and marketing around Raleigh will do wonders for the concerns of moving. 

I think you are right BoDarville. And the moving out of Raleigh talk is frankly boring and just so predictable. It's easy fodder. Moving downtown? Maybe just a tad less boring, but massively unrealistic.

 

There is no doubt that a winning team here would be well supported. Only about half of the current NHL teams are nearly always sold out. The losses have piled up for so long now, that the only way the attendance will build is if the Canes get into a top metro spot and stay there all season, then get playoffs. But that's true for at least 10-12 teams. Give them over a decade of no playoffs and lots of losses, and see where their attendance settles. 

 

Unfortunately, until this owner actually gets some of that talent in here that you need to win in the NHL, conspiracy theories will remain.  I will say this. If this owner and his yes man committee fail to make substantial talent gains in this offseason, I'll look at these theories a bit more seriously. But I think they will, and so I wait.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 1/3/2019 at 11:54 PM, BoDarville said:

Literally none of this makes any sense. Absolutely no discussion has been had about another arena. Hornets' arena is one of the newest in the NBA. Panthers' record speaks for itself? Uh, the Panthers have more division titles since 2013 than the Canes in their entire history. Just don't have a ring.

 

As for Houston, see the Arizona Coyotes.

 

Well I read a small article on line where there was some interest in an new arena for the Hornets in a location with easier access . I'll stand by the thud, especially after this season. 

As for Raleigh , see Hartford Whalers, as for Colorado see Quebec , Calgary and Winnipeg, see Atlanta , teams move .And just because the state of Florida has two teams doesn't mean Panthers  are moving. There has been some talk lately that ownership of the Panthers will make a strong offer to coach Q in the off season, Also since Panarin is a UFA, and played for Q that he might be a target for them also.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I don’t follow the Hornets, so don’t know if they really want another new arena with “easier access.” If true, it magnifies why a downtown arena is not the be all and end all. I do know that the Hornets original arena, which I believe seated 23,000, became a sore spot with their original owner, George Shinn, because it was built right before the luxury suite era began. I believe the issue was that teams shared revenue from ticket sales, but not from luxury suites. The first Hornets arena had virtually no luxury suites. But it was a beautiful building with fantastic access that enabled large crowds to get in and out quickly. The Hornets sold out every game for most of the years in this building until Shinn threatened to move the team if Charlotte did not build him another expensive palace. Shinn is reviled in Charlotte even more than PK is in Hartford. Of course, in addition to moving a team the City had supported, he was a creep.

 

the downtown stadium works for the Panthers because it is only used 10 times a year, on Sundays, when all of the downtown parking lots and decks used by workers during the week are available. This doesn’t work as well for hockey or basketball with a lot of weeknight games played at times when incoming game traffic conflicts with people working past 6:00 and still parked in the lots and parking decks, or trying to leave downtown for home.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

With the CAT light rail having multiple stops right by Spectrum Center, it couldn't be any easier to not only get to games there, but to have free parking at the CAT parking garages.  If they don't like missing out on parking cashola or whatever then i could see them looking elsewhere, but ease of access shouldn't be in the conversation.  Especially after expansion of the rail to UNCC.  Add ease of access to about a dillion places to eat at Epicenter and wham bam.

Edited by realmdrakkar

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 1/6/2019 at 11:33 AM, winger52 said:

 

Well I read a small article on line where there was some interest in an new arena for the Hornets in a location with easier access . I'll stand by the thud, especially after this season. 

As for Raleigh , see Hartford Whalers, as for Colorado see Quebec , Calgary and Winnipeg, see Atlanta , teams move .And just because the state of Florida has two teams doesn't mean Panthers  are moving. There has been some talk lately that ownership of the Panthers will make a strong offer to coach Q in the off season, Also since Panarin is a UFA, and played for Q that he might be a target for them also.

Absolutely nothing has been said about the Hornets getting a new arena. The Hornets’ arena is one of the newest in the NBA. 

 

Just because Florida has two teams doesn’t mean one is moving. But when one is a perennial loser which bleeds $15 million a year and is completely irrelevant in a media market with some serious competition, then yes, it means they’re likely to move. 

 

Please stop making stuff up.  

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, BoDarville said:

Absolutely nothing has been said about the Hornets getting a new arena. The Hornets’ arena is one of the newest in the NBA. 

 

Just because Florida has two teams doesn’t mean one is moving. But when one is a perennial loser which bleeds $15 million a year and is completely irrelevant in a media market with some serious competition, then yes, it means they’re likely to move. 

 

Please stop making stuff up.  

 

That's your opinion. I know what I read.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

How fast everyone forgets about Raleigh being an awesome hockey city form 2002-2009.  Back when we used to win and have heart and be the cardiac canes.  The fact we can still pull 12-16000 most nights after losing for 10years is proof it can easily happen again if we friggin win.  And take that Charlotte comment and put it somewhere else real nice. 

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 1/2/2019 at 7:37 PM, ja1964 said:

I always felt charlotte nc would have been a better place for the hurricanes charlotte is one of the most fastest growing places  in the COUNTRY  , we have the n.f.l panthers n.b.a hornets lets bring the canes to the queen city 

 

No question that for you Charlotte would be better. Drive time under an hour would be more appealing to me as well. But for me and many of us in NE North Carolina Charlotte would be out of reach for us. As it is I drive over 3 hrs to attend a game. You point out Charlotte is one of the fastest growing cities but so is Raleigh.In addition Raleigh has the other cities of the Triangle nearby.

Charlottes advantage is having a defined downtown with large hotels and light rail. The Raleigh advantage is it is conveniently located for a regional fan base.

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, OBXer said:

 

No question that for you Charlotte would be better. Drive time under an hour would be more appealing to me as well. But for me and many of us in NE North Carolina Charlotte would be out of reach for us. As it is I drive over 3 hrs to attend a game. You point out Charlotte is one of the fastest growing cities but so is Raleigh.In addition Raleigh has the other cities of the Triangle nearby.

Charlottes advantage is having a defined downtown with large hotels and light rail. The Raleigh advantage is it is conveniently located for a regional fan base.

 

when teams win fans come out  this topic would be off the board

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I,m from Connecticut I moved to rock hill sc in 1995 .I was upset when the whalers left Hartford ct . but they were losing wanted a new arena and the fans showed little support

Edited by ja1964
makes more sense

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I would love to see  the canes/whalers start wearing there whalers greens more , that last game to  see them wear that whalers green brought so much great/ fun  times back 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

Loading...
Sign in to follow this  

×
×
  • Create New...