The Official Site of the Carolina Hurricanes
Sign in to follow this  
Chuffy_McChufferson

GDT: Hurricanes @ Capitals; Thurs, Dec 27, 7PM

The Carolina Hurricanes Vs Alex Ovechkin The Washington Capitals

The Hurricanes are coming off a dominant 5-3 win against the Boston Bruins while sporting their old Hartford Whalers gear last Sunday night, and are now looking to start their first multi-game winning streak in nearly a month since a 4-1 win over the Florida Panthers on November 23 capped a 5 game winning streak, and a 7 game streak without a regulation loss.

Will the transformation they underwent when donning those green and blue duds on Sunday night prove to be a one a month deal? Or will they prove that it was not a transformation, and that they were the same team that we saw take the league by surprise and start 4-0-1 on the season, and were simply getting back to form?

This is a vital game, not only because it's a precious 4-point game against a division foe in the uber-competitive Metropolitan division, but because this is against one of the top teams in the league, and the defending Stanley Cup champions. These are the games the Canes must win if they not only want to make a push for the playoffs, but also to prove to themselves, the fans, and the entire league that they deserve to. Their last game against this same squad was a valiant 6-5 shootout loss.

Who's going to bring a win back home to Carolina for us tonight? Will Sebastian Aho and Teuvo Teravainen recreate their 4-point a piece night from Sunday? Will Andrei Svechnikov continue his steadily improving season and show that Alex Ovechkin may not be the most naturally talented Russian on the ice for much longer? Will the hard-nosed, relentlessly physical play of Michael Ferland and Jordan Martinook prove to be the difference maker in bringing home 2 points? Will we see our Captain J Willly lead by example early by getting one in the back of the net? Jordan Staal; what will he do? Will our offense come from a less expected place -- the doe-eyed Warren Foegele, the stone-eyed Victor Rask, or the newly called up Janne Kuokkanen? Or, will this be a low scoring game on our end where we have to rely on the likes of either McElhinney (cool) or Mrazek (hmm) simply not to lose, and where our most deadly opponent proves to be the goal post?

Tune in at 7:00 pm to your preferred channel or method of viewing to find out the answer to all these thrilling questions!

Edited by Snarky
  • Like 7

Here is the projected lineup for the Hurricanes.

Forwards

Svechnikov-Aho-Teravainen
Ferland-Bishop-Williams
Foegele-Wallmark-Martinook
Kuokkanen-Rask-McGinn

Defense

Slavin-Pesce
de Haan-Faulk
van Riemsdyk-Hamilton

Goalies

Mrazek

• Like 1

20 minutes ago, OBXer said:

Here is the projected lineup for the Hurricanes.

Forwards

Svechnikov-Aho-Teravainen
Ferland-Bishop-Williams
Foegele-Wallmark-Martinook
Kuokkanen-Rask-McGinn

Defense

Slavin-Pesce
de Haan-Faulk
van Riemsdyk-Hamilton

Goalies

Mrazek

(In my best Jumbo Tron announcer voice...) Ladies and Gentlemen.....meet...your.....2018-2019..... Charrrrrrrrrrrloottttteee Checkerrrrrrrrrrrrsssssss!!!

• Like 1

Oh, we're playing again? Somehow these 3 day breaks seem to not be kind to our mojo. Hopefully this one is different. Nothing like having to face Washington in their barn in what will now nearly all be must win games. 

Thanks for the excellent GDT starter Snarky! On that note, the NJD game and a bunch more are open if anyone wants to take them.

If Staal was re concussed he could be out a while. 

McE has been better than Mrazek overall. But Mrazek can be streaky good and was pretty good vs the Bruins. Hopefully McE gets back in there in NJ. 

I am also completely down with keeping Svech on the top line. Get our highest skill guys finding another level together. Also, TT is a pass first guy and Svech and Aho can both finish. 

I agree with Snarky, we need some secondary scoring from somewhere: Foegele needs to not go on another 30 game scoreless streak, Rask needs to start showing something, anything, offensively, and can Ferland find the net not playing with the Finns? 

I'd like to see Kuok start making some plays. He showed it in camp last year, and in the AHL. Can someone please get up here and not just grind? Someone show they can make plays?

A win here just might pull me back in. It will be a tough one though.

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, realmdrakkar said:

I can't argue much with those lines, though if Williams and Martinook were to be switched, Ferland-Bishop-Martinook would be a fun-*edit* line to watch.  Shazam.

That would be a wrecking ball line, but with some scoring touch. I like it!

15 minutes ago, realmdrakkar said:

I can't argue much with those lines, though if Williams and Martinook were to be switched, Ferland-Bishop-Martinook would be a fun-*edit* line to watch.  Shazam.

I like it as well and guaranteed one of the three will be going to the net each shift.

• Like 1

19 minutes ago, realmdrakkar said:

You know the resulting other line of Foegele-Wallmark-Williams would have some possibilities as a sort of hard working but also clever line. 

10 minutes ago, remkin said:

You know the resulting other line of Foegele-Wallmark-Williams would have some possibilities as a sort of hard working but also clever line. 

I like that as well.  Love to see it happen, but even if it doesn't, i'm just smitten that Brind'Amour has the stones to put Bishop in as large a role as he has.  Something about these lines gives me some hope that if/when Staal returns, it actually may be Rask who draws out instead of Bishop.  That's a step in the right direction, i think.

• Like 3

6 hours ago, KJUNKANE said:

You mention Jordan, is he not still out, with Bishop and Kuok up?

Yeah, I wasn't sure about that. I had a quick search for that information, but it was 3am :D.

You're right. According to the projected lineup, Jordan is still out.

Edited by Snarky

6 minutes ago, realmdrakkar said:

Wearing white... i can't remember the last time this team wore white...

Looks like NHL is tied of our owner asking everybody to wear white so that Canes can play in red? )))

Edited by Bonivan

25 minutes ago, Bonivan said:

Looks like NHL is tied of our owner asking everybody to wear white so that Canes can play in red? )))

Yeah, apparently Washington said, "um, no." Plus, is this going to just go on forever asking teams if we can wear red? Maybe our road uniforms should be green, blue and white. We seem to play well in those.