The Official Site of the Carolina Hurricanes
Sign in to follow this  
Chuffy_McChufferson

GDT: Hurricanes @ Capitals; Thurs, Dec 27, 7PM

24 minutes ago, AWACSooner said:

Not complaining about Mrazek at all...just thought BigMac’s style matched better vs Craps

Ok, that is a fair response. The goalies get a break. The rest of the team gets to run a few laps. 

3 hours ago, Whaler1 said:

Wasn't Niskanen the one who concussed Skinner a few years ago?

Yep. On another front, I watched this game twice and sorry, I don't agree with several that we were necessarily "outhit" more than out classed. As much as I despise Washington, when I can step back and be objective, I liken the difference I see between the Canes and Capitals to that I see in basketball between SEC teams and ACC teams. Even on that crappy ice tonight, the unity they skate with is amazing.

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, dinz said:

We just cant get over the hump, Svech wiffed in the blue paint with a open net in final minutes.

They were playing hard.  The breeze produced helped cool off the boys.  That's worth something, right?

6 hours ago, KJUNKANE said:

Yep. On another front, I watched this game twice and sorry, I don't agree with several that we were necessarily "outhit" more than out classed. As much as I despise Washington, when I can step back and be objective, I liken the difference I see between the Canes and Capitals to that I see in basketball between SEC teams and ACC teams. Even on that crappy ice tonight, the unity they skate with is amazing.

Totally agree, the Caps have every piece a great team needs.. Leaders by example and a guy who will make you play nice.....

1 hour ago, dinz said:

We just cant get over the hump, Svech wiffed in the blue paint with a open net in final minutes.

He was tired - he was overdue for his regularly-scheduled 2-minute break in the penalty box.  He'll do better next time.

12 minutes ago, realmdrakkar said:

He was tired - he was overdue for his regularly-scheduled 2-minute break in the penalty box.  He'll do better next time.

I thought it was upgraded to 4 minutes :violin:

• Like 1

I didn't see the game. I watched the condensed game this morning. I couldn't get a real feel for the game but everything I read was that we had a rather lack-luster outing for most of the game. What I did see was Mrazek was really good and Ferland drove what offense we had. It was his drive on net that gave Aho his goal.

Other than that it looked like mostly same story, different day

• Like 1

39 minutes ago, OBXer said:

Other than that it looked like mostly same story, different day

Good summary.  That's about what happened.   The one new thing was an innovative penalty by our rookie.  He learned a good lesson.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, PamlicoPuck said:

Totally agree, the Caps have every piece a great team needs.. Leaders by example and a guy who will make you play nice.....

Yep PP, that's the deal with that team. Never know where the scoring is going to come from, but that one single player is capable AT ANY MOMENT of blistering a shot out of nowhere. Put 2 players on him and someone else gets it done.  

2 minutes ago, AWACSooner said:

If we lose tomorrow and the Kings win, we'll officially be the WORST TEAM IN THE LEAGUE!   

#LoseForHughes

Going for the number# 1 draft pick for 2019:sarcasmalert:

The Svech penalty out of the box was bizarre. Why he did that is beyond me? The others weren't really. I think the kid is just struggling a bit on the top line it seems.  Like he did on the second and third lines, if you are talking average time on ice.  That played out pretty well in the end.

Love watching Svech do the wrong things for the right reasons, if that makes sense?

What a talent.

Svech, as talented as he is, might need to sit a game in the press and watch the game...and learn not to commit dumb penalties

2 hours ago, AWACSooner said:

Svech, as talented as he is, might need to sit a game in the press and watch the game...and learn not to commit dumb penalties

I don't sit him, not without sitting Rask and Hamilton first, but i do make him do an extra 20 laps for every stick infraction.  He really does need to get those out of his system.  Rather have the Canes on the PK than the PP, though.  They're way more dangerous that way.

56 minutes ago, realmdrakkar said:

I don't sit him, not without sitting Rask and Hamilton first, but i do make him do an extra 20 laps for every stick infraction.  He really does need to get those out of his system.  Rather have the Canes on the PK than the PP, though.  They're way more dangerous that way.

Naturally...except I think you meant to say TRADE instead of sit.

9 hours ago, coastal_caniac said:

The Svech penalty out of the box was bizarre. Why he did that is beyond me?

It happens.  In the heat of the moment, your primal brain takes over and says "gimme, gimme, gimme." 

I've never played sports at any high level, and I've had plenty of moments like that.   He'll learn, since he has to at this level.

I used to really tick off my volleyball teammates by digging balls that clearly would land out of bounds.  I just couldn't help myself. 

Frontal lobe: I see a ball and...

Brain stem: GET IT. 

Frontal lobe: ... it is out of bounds.  Hey, you stupid stem, why did you hit it?

Edited by wxray1

7 hours ago, AWACSooner said:

Naturally...except I think you meant to say TRADE instead of sit.

Can't argue with that.  Though if DW couldn't get anything of value for our best goal scorer, i don't see how he can get anything worth having out of those 2.  It would be addition by subtraction, though - while many of us, including me, think we may already be relying on rookies too much, i'd double down with Bishop/McKeown over Rask/Hamilton in a heartbeat.