The Official Site of the Carolina Hurricanes
Sign in to follow this  
jgooder79

New Head Coach?

I know this could spark lots of heat because hes beloved in Carolina. He is one of the top 5 canes/whalers of all time. But if he wasn't 

Rod Brind'Amour would he have been fired already. The team is underachieving big time 

46 minutes ago, caniac6 said:

With the talent we have, we are probably achieving exactly as we should.

Agreed... add a pair of consistent 20-25 goals per yr guys and this is a complete different team.. 

I think Rod is a decent coach and a good hockey guy. It’s too soon to make a judgement on him. He will make some blunders, as to be expected y a rookie coach. Those get amplified when the team isn’t doing well.  The talent on this team is lacking and that isn’t all in the coach.

Edited by surfzone365
  • Like 2

We're the lowest-paid team in the league with our highest-paid player injured once again, and our second highest-paid player sucks.  I'd say we're probably right about where one would expect, if not better.  Rod's far from perfect but i don't see how this mess can be blamed on him.  TD needs to open the checkbook.

• Like 4

3 minutes ago, realmdrakkar said:

We're the lowest-paid team in the league with our highest-paid player injured once again, and our second highest-paid player sucks.  I'd say we're probably right about where one would expect, if not better.  Rod's far from perfect but i don't see how this mess can be blamed on him.  TD needs to open the checkbook.

We’re a budget team ... like a Sams Club version of a major appliance. Looks good but not quite up to par with a real machine.

• Like 1

I think if Rod hadn't been part of the organization, actually had reputable competitors and had to convince a success-driven GM who didn't have a micro managing, cheapskate and know-nothing newbie owner constantly looking over his shoulder, that he was their guy, he wouldn't have had it that easy. 

I'm not ready to throw Rod under the bus yet. Sure, he made some questionable decisions and our Special Teams and transition game is not as smooth and successful as we all would like to see, not to mention that our widely praised defense hasn't lived up to expectations, but unless TD and the front office can show me that they are truly committed to put a play-off worthy team together I think Rod is the least of our problems.     

• Like 1

I would disagree this team should be in the wild card spot. You cant tell me there a team thats ready to play every night they lack skating and forecheck. how did they get off to a good start this year. it wasnt goaltending haha. they dont have scoring depth no so you have to win with effort. like out skate and forecheck and create turn overs. i dont want them to open up the wallet and buy some 30-35 year old guy that can score and give up a top prospect. the teams future looks good if you look at the checkers i can wait for that. what pains me to see is the beer league effort they put up every night. 

And watching a 6'5" Hamilton look like a wounded deer. 

How many coaches are we going to go through before we ice a whole NHL team- not just 1 forward-1 possibly 2 wingers-a defenseman sometimes a goalie .... we’ve been “rebuilding” since the cup team was blown up - Come on TD go get a team- and don’t pay the kids till they prove themselves enough already

Not to belabor the point, but I think this is where you bring in a solid GM. Let him talk to the team, look at film, digest the whole thing and decide whether to give Brind'Amour more time. 

I think Brind'Amour has the makings of a good coach. I have two overriding concerns. One is that while he has worked at the side of coaches with other experiences, and has played in other systems long ago, he's hasn't personally worked as a coach in any other organization at any level. Second, it is so tough to keep the room of a team that has seen so much losing. One of the supposed reasons for moving Skinner, and others was that they had been a part of and by extension, grown used to so much losing. So recently, and as a coach has Brind'Amour.

OK, Brind'Amour has the ultimate trump card there, but as a player. Since that triumph, and as a coach, he's been right there on the bench with most of these players, talking into their ears as an assistant through a lot of losing and a lot of bad powerplays. Now, after another year, of the team playing badly, can he keep the room? 

I don't know. He's a rookie coach, and we let rookie players have some space. He is driven to do this. But I don't know. Does Don Waddell, TD and the committee that went with Darling again and let Skinner go for spare parts? 

I start with a real GM. TBH, I bet Waddell would welcome the chance to move back upstairs. Everyone wins. Except maybe....the coach...maybe.

Coaching isn't going to fix the lack of talent. This team could have a personal coach for each player without changing the results. Yeah a respected GM is where we need to start.

• Like 2

36 minutes ago, KJUNKANE said:

How about an owner that could get his head out of the fog( close to saying something else, but resisted)?

Good job, moderator.

I generally agree it is a talent issue.  However, we have to see Just A Little Bit More from the power play.  How about entering the zone?  Or are all the players that impotent?

7 minutes ago, wxray1 said:

Good job, moderator.

I generally agree it is a talent issue.  However, we have to see Just A Little Bit More from the power play.  How about entering the zone?  Or are all the players that impotent?

Two words......Marley Drug

I have to say following this NJ debacle on the PP, that I'm inching to the edge on the coach. When NJ took that last PP, they looked all mad and Tripp was going on about taking the penalty, and I talked to NJ directly through my TV. "You have absolutely nothing to worry about. Nothing. Take as many penalties as you want. There is a next to zero chance we'll score, but a better than zero chance that you'll score shorthanded. In fact I really don't know why teams don't just take an endless stream of liberties because there really is almost no downside". 

The guys on the PP appear to have a combination of a ounce of too little effort, an ounce of no confidence leading to most guys trying to just make the next safe pass and almost no one making a play, an ounce of stagnant movement, poor passing (Slavin was brutal this game passing), an ounce of poor keeps, an ounce of very little net presence (ironic given todays BS goal call back where Williams was in front of the net) all resulting in the best part of the pp being some perimeter passing before settling for the inevitable point shot all the way from the blue line and often w/ the D man leaning away from the shot. 

I honestly was going to put this on here before reading Xray's post, but I have to agree that the best reason to move on from the coach would be that the anemic powerplay is a more obvious sign of the anemic offense, and the coach has been associated with that for a much longer time than just this year.

At this point might as well let the year play out before making a decision on RB. After we get our new GM. TD did it his way and it was a fail. IF there is any thought of giving Brindy a second year, our owner needs to open his wallet and hire 2 experienced assistants. Maybe one with prior HC experience. The shame of having to maybe let Brind’Amour go is we will have cleaned the slate of the most revered names in team history. I do agree with Rem that the biggest question to be answered is whether Rod has already been tuned out by his team.

10 minutes ago, KJUNKANE said:

They need to bring up Vellucci, let Brind"Amour assist and get a darn D coach?

The time to do that was last summer.  I think it would be tough for Brindy to accept an assistant coach position within the Canes at this point.

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, LakeLivin said:

The time to do that was last summer.  I think it would be tough for Brindy to accept an assistant coach position within the Canes at this point.

Then how about being let go?

22 minutes ago, KJUNKANE said:

Then how about being let go?

If they bring in a replacement HC I think that's how it will play out. 

edit: if it is Velluci, he'll have the advantage of knowing a (distressingly) high number of the players he'll be inheriting. :P

Edited by LakeLivin
  • Like 1

40 minutes ago, LakeLivin said:

Assistant?  Why?  Please recall the power play the last 5 years.

I couldn't imagine any scenario where the team removes Rod prior to a full season.  With that said, this dump and chase and grind couldn't be any fun for the players when it rarely results in a feel good. 

Edited by coastal_caniac
  • Like 1

1 minute ago, wxray1 said:

Assistant?  Why?  Please recall the power play the last 5 years.

I was just replying to Kjun's post where he suggested Brindy going back to assistant.  

2 minutes ago, LakeLivin said:

I was just replying to Kjun's post where he suggested Brindy going back to assistant.  

Yeah, I know.  Sorry.  When firing the head coach, he's gone, even if listed as a consultant or whatever.  (See: Ron Francis last season.)  I think Kjun and all were just ruminating.  What else can we do?

The season is too far gone to worry about a change now.  Play out Brindy this year and go from there.