The Official Site of the Carolina Hurricanes
Sign in to follow this  
jgooder79

New Head Coach?

4 minutes ago, LakeLivin said:

I was just replying to Kjun's post where he suggested Brindy going back to assistant.  

I think he’d excel in a strength and conditioning role but that’s pretty removed from on-ice decisions. 

1 minute ago, coastal_caniac said:

I couldn't imagine any scenario where the team removes Rod prior to a full season.  With that said, this dump and chase and grind couldn't be any fun for the players when it rarely results in a feel good.

What coastal said, and even more so given where the Canes stand.  It's not like a new coach could save the season even if were clear that RB was the entire problem, which I certainly don't think is the case.

• Like 1

Just now, wxray1 said:

I'd also hate to see Velluci wasted on this mess.  Get him in with a decent GM and start fresh.

Not to mention messing with the Checkers season.

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, wxray1 said:

I'd also hate to see Velluci wasted on this mess.  Get him in with a decent GM and start fresh.

This brings to mind one of the biggest issues with Dundon's taking over - naming a head coach before naming a GM.  Bring in the GM first and let him choose his coach.

• Like 2

I've always wondered what the results would be if the Canes went to a more traditional coach, like Hitch, Quenville, Boudreau, etc. over upstarts?  Maybe the team should look down the rabbit hole for a change.

• Like 1

I think some of you can't see the forest for the trees.

Velucci is indeed whom we need just not as coach.  GM 

Then the owner needs to give him the keys a budget and let him go to work. 

RB has arguably the least offensive talent in the entire NHL.  Its pointless to suggest our PP should be better when we don't have the skaters that can put the puck in the net.

Aho, TT, Svech, Martinook, D.Hahn (because of his contract) should be kept.  After that I'd trade anyone (Slavin, Faulk, Pesc. Staal (if NTC allows) etc...). If we had offense we could tilt the ice and some defense would occur by simply playing less of it.  We will never "defend" ourselves to wins unless they allow clutching and grabbing again circa 2002.

Ask yourself this of our skaters (Forwards) - How many are actually better than Chad LaRose?  Now would you like to be in RB's shoes having to coach that group?

14 minutes ago, one-timer said:

Why?

Forest meet tree.

On ‎12‎/‎28‎/‎2018 at 12:00 AM, jgooder79 said:

I know this could spark lots of heat because hes beloved in Carolina. He is one of the top 5 canes/whalers of all time. But if he wasn't 

Rod Brind'Amour would he have been fired already. The team is underachieving big time 

You come in here with 3 posts to your credit and post THIS?  

Amateur hour is apparently on...

11 minutes ago, coastal_caniac said:

He has about 900 games coaching, has scouted, been an executive of the year in his league as a GM and has NHL Assistant GM experience as well.  If I thought it was a coaching issue I'd say make him coach.  I don't. 

I think its a talent issue and making trades issue.  

Hence my post.

Why?

Forest meet tree.

Edited by one-timer

1 hour ago, AWACSooner said:

You come in here with 3 posts to your credit and post THIS?  Amateur hour is apparently on...

Please excuse my ignorance.   I am a very old man on social security and medicare.   I have been watching hockey for many years and have followed these boards forever it seems.   Loved the North Stars.   In order to have an opinion on here or ask a question without being berated are there a certain number of posts that I should have before I am validated ?     Please advise. 

• Like 1

8 hours ago, snuffy72 said:

Please excuse my ignorance.   I am a very old man on social security and medicare.   I have been watching hockey for many years and have followed these boards forever it seems.   Loved the North Stars.   In order to have an opinion on here or ask a question without being berated are there a certain number of posts that I should have before I am validated ?     Please advise. 

All opinions are valued snuffy. New posters often bring insight that those of us who have hung around through the frustration of the almost decade of futility have left us tainted and skeptical of any solution. It is a message board that relies on exchanges including criticism of another point of view. My best advise is to keep posting, become part of the conversation.

• Like 1

Since Lavi we have tried several coaches Most of them pretty good hockey men. None with perhaps the exception of MO (I don't believe I said that)have been able to reach the playoffs. That would indicate to me that the problem isn't coaching.  At least not only coaching.

If we were to fire Brindy it wouldn't be because of his success or failure but to send a message that what is happening on the ice isn't good enough. It is easier to change a coach than a team. Would it work? Sometimes it does, most the times it doesn't.

10 minutes ago, OBXer said:

All opinions are valued snuffy. New posters often bring insight that those of us who have hung around through the frustration of the almost decade of futility have left us tainted and skeptical of any solution. It is a message board that relies on exchanges including criticism of another point of view. My best advise is to keep posting, become part of the conversation.

And I 2nd that snuffy, and further apologize for your reception. If you've lurked for as long as you state, by now you should have realized how short many of our fuses get after 10 years of being in the cellar and literally a floor mat for most teams? I include myself in this, because literally hockey is just about my only outlet from a depressing job(at times) and constantly driving back 70 miles after "we were close" wears heavily, and particularly so it seems this year after finally throwing off an owner whom many had labelled as "cheap", only to be met by his apparent opposite in age only? As OBXer stated, keep posting.

• Like 1

11 hours ago, coastal_caniac said:

I've always wondered what the results would be if the Canes went to a more traditional coach, like Hitch, Quenville, Boudreau, etc. over upstarts?  Maybe the team should look down the rabbit hole for a change.

Before last summer I was advocating for a coach with experience to take over for Peters. Now we are on our third coach in a row without head coaching experience. In 05-06 we had an experienced coach, a goalie and players who put together multiple" in a row " streaks. We have had none of that since JR got his panties in a bunch and decided to show everybody how insecure we was .That an an owner who lost interest. Now we have what? An owner who has lost interest, and a GM whose history is losing.

11 hours ago, one-timer said:

RB has arguably the least offensive talent in the entire NHL.  Its pointless to suggest our PP should be better when we don't have the skaters that can put the puck in the net.

Aho, TT, Svech, Martinook, D.Hahn (because of his contract) should be kept.  After that I'd trade anyone (Slavin, Faulk, Pesc. Staal (if NTC allows) etc...). If we had offense we could tilt the ice and some defense would occur by simply playing less of it.  We will never "defend" ourselves to wins unless they allow clutching and grabbing again circa 2002.

Ask yourself this of our skaters (Forwards) - How many are actually better than Chad LaRose?  Now would you like to be in RB's shoes having to coach that group?

Uh, 12 of them.

12 hours ago, LakeLivin said:

If they bring in a replacement HC I think that's how it will play out. 

edit: if it is Velluci, he'll have the advantage of knowing a (distressingly) high number of the players he'll be inheriting. :P

The good...the bad and the ugly.

11 hours ago, one-timer said:

He has about 900 games coaching, has scouted, been an executive of the year in his league as a GM and has NHL Assistant GM experience as well.  If I thought it was a coaching issue I'd say make him coach.  I don't. 

I think its a talent issue and making trades issue.  

Hence my post.

I guess something got lost in translation with your somewhat snarky opening comment.  IF the team wanted to stay in house, you make a fair point. Vellucci has credentials in lesser leagues.  I'd like the see some new faces from outside the organization (okay we got what's his name for assistant GM) but it appears Dundon wanted to go the cheap route.

I would tend to agree that moving Brindy out before next season is unlikely. Perhaps we could bring in a shake up in assistant coaches. Maybe someone who has coached a really good PP or can teach passing and other things that seem to look better watching the World Juniors. A new GM and at least a new offensive/PP coach.

10 hours ago, snuffy72 said:

Please stay on the boards. All opinions are welcome. Everyone gets berated at some point. Some more than others. It takes a bit of thick skin to stick with it sometimes. Try watching/participating in the game day threads during games. I only started doing this recently, but it is fun to interact in real time with other Canes fans during games. Plus some of these folks know a lot about hockey that I don’t, and see things in the games I missed. 

• Like 1

On 12/29/2018 at 10:10 PM, coastal_caniac said:

Talking with Uncle Charlie today about this.  The Canes have sucked for a decade.  The team needed/needs culture change. Moving the plaques on the office doors at the PNC is not doing that.  Brindy moving down the bench with a group of guys that he already had chemistry with is not doing that.  Guys we're comfortable and still are.  If an outsider with a proven track record was brought in, guys would need to earn that confidence from the coach.

You can't fill every position in the organization from the clearance aisle

On 12/28/2018 at 1:00 AM, jgooder79 said:

I know this could spark lots of heat because hes beloved in Carolina. He is one of the top 5 canes/whalers of all time. But if he wasn't 

Rod Brind'Amour would he have been fired already. The team is underachieving big time 

On 12/29/2018 at 10:40 PM, AWACSooner said:

You come in here with 3 posts to your credit and post THIS?  

Amateur hour is apparently on...

On 12/30/2018 at 12:25 AM, snuffy72 said:

Snuffy, pay no attention to AWACS.  He's a jinx.

Hang around. Nothing wrong with a fresh opinion.  We have had a couple of new members recently who started many new threads as soon as they joined and seemed happy to stir things up.  While the idea of a new coach is sure to ruffle some feathers, it is a valid question.  When I join a new forum, I usually get a feel for things and make a few comments before I start a thread.  

On 12/30/2018 at 3:23 PM, ja1964 said:

I believe a new coach should be given 3-4 years to turn around a program  around ownership needs to step up

I think this depends on how much the team is spending.  Teams that spend the money and bring in the big guns.  Their coaches are on a tighter leashes.