The Official Site of the Carolina Hurricanes
Sign in to follow this  
jgooder79

New Head Coach?

3 hours ago, bluedevil58 said:

I think this depends on how much the team is spending.  Teams that spend the money and bring in the big guns.  Their coaches are on a tighter leashes.

that was one of my points ownership needs to step up

I may not be the smartest guy in the world BUT maybe the hurricanes should follow there 2006-2007 blue print

Edited by ja1964

yes this is my 4 post. we all have to start somewhere. but ive been a canes fan since the early 80s and yes i know hockey im canadian. haha

after reading lots of ur posts maybe we should start another page. lots of you say that we have a lack of talent because were a budget team. So who would you have targeted in free agency?

On 12/29/2018 at 9:39 PM, wxray1 said:

Edited by jgooder79

17 hours ago, ja1964 said:

I may not be the smartest guy in the world BUT maybe the hurricanes should follow there 2006-2007 blue print

I do believe they missed the playoffs in 06-07, after winning the Cup in 05-06.

16 minutes ago, caniac6 said:

Yep...first time in NHL history the two teams to play for the Cup the year prior both missed the playoffs 

2 hours ago, jgooder79 said:

yes this is my 4 post. we all have to start somewhere. but ive been a canes fan since the early 80s and yes i know hockey im canadian. haha

after reading lots of ur posts maybe we should start another page. lots of you say that we have a lack of talent because were a budget team. So who would you have targeted in free agency?

Calvin deHaan?  I don't see much else, that's why I'm giving TD till this summer before I make a judgement.  But, I'm in the minority here, and I'd love to hear other opinions.  And there are plenty of options going forward, so we'll soon know for sure if TD is full of it when he says he's willing to invest in talent, but not stupidly.

Gotta ask: when you say you've been a Canes fan since the early 80s, does that reference your age or do you mean Whalers/Canes? (just messing with you j :P)

7 hours ago, caniac6 said:

then follow the 05-06 blue print

4 hours ago, ja1964 said:

Well, thanks for clarifying that MINOR detail? Was beginning to wonder to what you were referring?

5 hours ago, ja1964 said:

Great idea, but we need a year long strike and 50% of the players to be free agents to use that plan. Also, the cap the first year after the strike limited what teams could pay and how many players they could sign, leaving some nice table scraps for the Canes to pick up. But the idea is sound.

• Like 2

Well there is one similarity with that year. We had the number two pick coming into his second year. Of course Svech has decent NHL under his belt, but he could well break out next year.

I'm not saying we follow that blueprint of 05-06, but it was definitely not following the old trope of draft and develop. Not even close really. 

Of the forwards only Staal, Ladd and Cole were drafted, and Ladd/Cole had little to do with that year. 

JR traded for Williams the previous year (clears throat loudly), and signed THREE key UFA's: Cullen, Stillman, and Whitney before the season. We then traded during the season for Weight, and Recci.  Eric Staal was the only forward drafted by the Canes and played a major role in that year and Cup. Of course Cam Ward was drafted and played a big role. Wallin and Craig Adams are about the only other ones we drafted. 

So while Eric Staal and Cam Ward were a big part of that cup, them and Wallin were really the only home drafted pieces that were pivotal. 

This is not to say that this is how we need to do it. But it points out that just draft and develop with no trades and few UFAs has limitations too.  I would argue we don't win that cup without those three UFA's and certainly not without the mid season trade the year before for J Willy. 

1 hour ago, remkin said:

Ladd/Cole had little to do with that year.

If we are talking 06 then did we forget Cole had 30 goals that year before breaking his neck. He also came back in the last 2 Cup games and I think drew the penalty that led to Kabs game winning goal.

22 minutes ago, OBXer said:

If we are talking 06 then did we forget Cole had 30 goals that year before breaking his neck. He also came back in the last 2 Cup games and I think drew the penalty that led to Kabs game winning goal.

Yup, my bad on Cole. Not sure what I was looking at. :unsure: Guess I just remembered him being out for the run and vast majority of playoffs, and sort of sub in Weight and Recci for him in my mind.

But still, Staal, Ward, Cole, Wallin, Craig Adams, the main drafted ones. Not really the paradigm of draft and devlop.

5 minutes ago, ja1964 said:

bill peters flames 32-23-5 69 pts it was not a bill peters problem hear

Different talent. Metropolitan was really tough last few years. Last WC in West this year is very close in points to Hurricanes. Not working with a PK budget in Calgary. But you can’t take away what Peters has done with what he has in Calgary. Doesn’t mean he would have done better than Rod with what we have here this year. Doesn’t mean he wouldn’t have done better either.