The Official Site of the Carolina Hurricanes
Sign in to follow this  
AWACSooner

GDT: Canes @ Debbils...29 Dec...1300 EST

I got nuthin...but watching this game should be a good warmup of expectation management for when my Sooners get throttled by the Evil Empire of college football tonight...not that I’ll watch that game.

Edited by AWACSooner

There is this

New Jersey will be without leading scorer Taylor Hall and forward Marcus Johansson.

and this

The Devils have won just four of 12 games in the month of December and find themselves at the bottom of the Eastern Conference

and this

We've got to find ways to turn it our way," head coach Rod Brind'Amour said

and

The Carolina Hurricanes' final road game of the 2018

Gameday

Well thanks for the GDT starter, probably about as much as people are up for right about now. 

So two more games before the artificial, but highly predictive New Year's cut off. The quoted cut off is that teams that are 10 points out or more, by Jan 1 essentially never make the playoffs. (Exceptions are 1 or 2 in many years, and those require insane winning streaks that are so unlikely for also ran teams). 

At the moment, with magic beans factored, we are essentially 8 points out. What's worse is that the traditional powerhouses have started to take their places, although it would not be shocking for Montreal to fade, just about every other team up there is solid.

The upside would be that there is a bigger mushy middle of teams to pass, and if say Montreal and NYI faded, there could be an opening. But not from more than 10 points out. 

Yes, it is an artificial construct, but since January is full of away games, if we don't win these next two, it's probably over. Even if we win them, it will be a very tall hill to climb, but still technically possible. 

So start by winning this one.

28 minutes ago, OBXer said:

There is this

New Jersey will be without leading scorer Taylor Hall and forward Marcus Johansson.

and this

The Devils have won just four of 12 games in the month of December and find themselves at the bottom of the Eastern Conference

and this

We've got to find ways to turn it our way," head coach Rod Brind'Amour said

and

The Carolina Hurricanes' final road game of the 2018

Gameday

Got it...pillow fight of the week coming up, folks!

• Like 1

Just now, AWACSooner said:

Got it...pillow fight of the week coming up, folks!

Making something from nothing isn't easy 😎

2 minutes ago, realmdrakkar said:

A 1:00 start.  Do we have to?

These are murder for the Canes.  Through the years I recall some of the biggest stinkers in the world on afternoon games, away up in the Northeast.

Let's see.  3 shorthand goals against in one power play.  Check.  5 on 3 shorthand goal against, check.

If that ain't sleeping, I don't know what is.

1 hour ago, wxray1 said:

Let's see.  3 shorthand goals against in one power play.  Check.  

I was at that game...Boston in 2010...was supposed to be Rod's last game, but the ****ing Habs injured him the game prior!