The Official Site of the Carolina Hurricanes
AWACSooner

GDT: Canes @ Sens...Epiphany, 1:00 EST

You just don't mess with concussions, he should probably take his time possibly the rest of the season to get healthy.

4 minutes ago, Derailed75 said:

Those were his words

And his gesture after the goal.  Pretty funny.  He may not WIN the cup for us this year, but for this game he USED the cup.

Edited by wxray1
  • Like 2

Yes, make no mistake we were fortunate these last few games. Need to clean it up and not play with a  “hold on to win” mentality .

• Like 1

I'd  go with Mrazek against the NYI and hope McE can steal us a win against Tampa..Mrazek is also 1-9 against Tampa so there is that also.

5 minutes ago, slapshot02 said:

I'd  go with Mrazek against the NYI and hope McE can steal us a win against Tampa..Mrazek is also 1-9 against Tampa so there is that also.

Nope, Big Mac needs to start both...give Sneaky Pete the Slugs on Friday

3 hours ago, LakeLivin said:

I think he adds quite a bit to the PK and I've see him generating a fair number of chances by himself, even if he hasn't been finishing them.  Can't think of too many other Canes that generate chances individually.  He did completely blow that clear, but if we're gonna send a player down over 1 bad play . . .

41 games. 5 goals. 2 assists (does this not reflect chances he generated?). -12. If that’s one bad play, then okay. Really, I like Foegele on the 4th line, but he was playing in the top 9 much of the season. In fairness, higher paid players than Foegele have whiffed on clears that ended up in the back of our net. We won, so never mind.

I'll take playing better "situational" and "exploiting other team's mistakes" hockey for wins, and we're doing that well right now. But I guess it's just a matter of accepting that keeping teams down a couple goals when you get them there is beyond this team's comfort level. I could understand it were it a talent, ability or skill issue as we know where those lie with this team. But that kind of thing, killer instinct, is a mental and a resolve part of every sport, and it makes no sense given our veteran presence and who our head coach is that we fail so often at it, versus good and bad teams. It makes no sense to me. Maybe it's a learning curve and or something that can't be learned(I'm too old to remember from playing days), but if we COULD learn it, we could contend. Without it, there's too much hunger present across the league to disguise not having it. 

Rask got an assist.  But, even Bishop getting healthy would be an improvement.  Rask is officially shackled to stone hands when let loose to create anything bordering offense.

38 minutes ago, coastal_caniac said:

Rask got an assist.  But, even Bishop getting healthy would be an improvement.  Rask is officially shackled to stone hands when let loose to create anything bordering offense.

Rask played today?

• Like 3

Rask has played better the last two games, especially against CBJ.  But considering he has been completely invisible for the rest of the year does not make-up for it.  At this point, he looks like a 3rd-4th line center abd a bad investment for the franchise.  When you are making 4M a year, fans should not have to try and look for you when you are on the ice.  That is how he is right now.  He's just a guy...  A wildly overpaid guy...

• Like 1

13 hours ago, bluedevilcane said:

41 games. 5 goals. 2 assists (does this not reflect chances he generated?). -12. If that’s one bad play, then okay. Really, I like Foegele on the 4th line, but he was playing in the top 9 much of the season. In fairness, higher paid players than Foegele have whiffed on clears that ended up in the back of our net. We won, so never mind.

McGinn, Foegele, and Bishop would be a very good 4th line.  The whiff on the clear yesterday was a mistake for sure for Foegele, but that stuff happens sometime.  he has been good on the PK otherwise.

18 hours ago, legend-1 said:

I dunno what I'm more impressed by the goal scoring itself or the way Staal seems to suck the goal scoring out of the entire team?

I was pretty much a voice in the wilderness two off-seasons ago when I suggested moving Jordan for value while we still could.

Just sayin'.

1 hour ago, top-shelf-1 said:

I was pretty much a voice in the wilderness two off-seasons ago when I suggested moving Jordan for value while we still could.

Just sayin'.

But who would want that contract?    Maybe you were so far out in the wilderness nobody heard you?  😜

• Like 1

45 minutes ago, wxray1 said:

But who would want that contract?    Maybe you were so far out in the wilderness nobody heard you?  😜

Yeah, the old "tree falling in the woods" sort of argument?

• Like 1

9 hours ago, top-shelf-1 said:

Just sayin'.

I'll vouch for ya there, top, you did advocate for a J Staal trade, at least before the team kind of shut down when he was out with an injury and then was resurgent when he came back.  But if I recall correctly, part of your rationale was that Rask could serve the same role just as well, so that takes just a bit of the shine off of what may have been a prescient call, imo.

1 minute ago, LakeLivin said:

I'll vouch for ya there, top, you did advocate for a J Staal trade, at least before the team kind of shut down when he was out with an injury and then was resurgent when he came back.  But if I recall correctly, part of your rationale was that Rask could serve the same role just as well, so that takes just a bit of the shine off of what may have been a prescient call, imo.

That's fair, but in my defense it was also before Rask had the second rotator cuff issue, and appeared poised to come back fully recuperated, rested, and conditioned.

As for the "now," I'll add - and I know everybody's done with Victor - I don't think most appreciate how hard it is to come back from an injury during the season in the NHL, which is what he's doing now. He has only begun to look somewhat better in the past couple of games for a reason: He had not played at NHL speed for a very long time. Were it not for Jordan's health issues, I have to think (hope) he'd have gotten a stint in CLT before rejoining the NHL roster. But alas.

All of that being as it may, I take your point. I'll hasten to add, however, that even Wallmark is a much better Jordan these days than Jordan has been, at any point this year. Which says a lot about the price we'll be paying for not moving him back when somebody might still have bitten. 

I still remember that draft hearing J was coming to the Canes.  My dentures fell out of my mouth.  

It has not worked well on multiple levels.

• Like 1

17 minutes ago, wxray1 said:

I still remember that draft hearing J was coming to the Canes.  My dentures fell out of my mouth.  

It has not worked well on multiple levels.

I was happy he was coming, but from day one i thought JR overpaid majorly.  48 games later the Canes could have gotten him for nothing, yet he gave them the moon to get him sooner.  And now he reaps the benefits.  Have i ever mentioned JR can go to edit?

• Like 1

1 hour ago, top-shelf-1 said:

He has only begun to look somewhat better in the past couple of games for a reason: He had not played at NHL speed for a very long time.

Have to disagree here.  Rask's foot speed was always his issue, going back to the WHL.  He has none now.  Even healthy, imo, Rask will never catch up, to use a bad pun.  But he makes 4-million, even being the worst center on the team, and is still playing. 

Edited by coastal_caniac

1 hour ago, coastal_caniac said:

Have to disagree here.  Rask's foot speed was always his issue, going back to the WHL.  He has none now.  Even healthy, imo, Rask will never catch up, to use a bad pun.  But he makes 4-million, even being the worst center on the team, and is still playing. 

I tend to agree that he may never catch up, especially given his dour nature. He's just never seemed like an upbeat, believe-in-himself kinda guy. Stranger things have happened, but I do think it'll take a change of scenery, at least, for him to get confidence back.