The Official Site of the Carolina Hurricanes
AWACSooner

GDT: Canes vs...oh no, not THESE guys again...the aisles

I seem to recall that the Canes have had pretty good luck in this old building in the past. I am hopeful that trend continues?

• Like 1

Watching a game from Nassau brings back memories. I saw quite a few games including my first playoff game out at that old building. It was always one of the best arenas to watch a game. Why they ever let it fall in disrepair I don't know.  I read that since the renovation it still has great sight lines. It was never an easy arena to get to. By air,sea or land you had to work for it but once inside it was always worth the trip. It was and is a small arena but since reno it only sits13 thousand and some change. We would sell out if we played in that size arena.

Former Islander Calvin de Haan remembers the Coliseum well.

"This is an awesome building to play in. It was fun," he said. "It's loud in here and intimidating. When that crowd is going, it can really send chills down your spine. It's a fun place to play. I really enjoyed it."

Enough of the reminiscing, we have a game to win tonight.

Forwards

McGinn-Aho-Teravainen
Svechnikov-Wallmark-Martinook
Ferland-McKegg-Williams
Foegele-Rask-Maenalanen

Defense

Slavin-Pesce
de Haan-Faulk
van Riemsdyk-Hamilton

Goalies

McElhinney

47 minutes ago, OBXer said:

Forwards

McGinn-Aho-Teravainen
Svechnikov-Wallmark-Martinook
Ferland-McKegg-Williams
Foegele-Rask-Maenalanen

This team is either missing an 1L, 2C, & 2R or a 1L, 1C, & 1R. Take your pick. That's a tall order to fix in one off-season any way you slice it.

• Like 1

Last season or two seasons ago we beat them 8-3 in their barn with a hat-trick from Slavin. Could we do the same today please? O'm even ok with 8-7 win (to please TD if we are playing in white)

Edited by Bonivan

4 hours ago, legend-1 said:

I dunno how were on a four game win streak with this lineup, but here we are.

Jordan... oh, never mind...

4 hours ago, sleekfeeder said:

This team is either missing an 1L, 2C, & 2R or a 1L, 1C, & 1R. Take your pick. That's a tall order to fix in one off-season any way you slice it.

Not if you stop buying what your own PR department is selling for five minutes, and objectively assess what your newbies might actually be able to bring. Svech will be fine, and I think we pulled the plug on Zyke waaaaaaaaaay too soon. But Foegele is overmatched anywhere in the top six, and Necas... yeah.

Not sure if that happened last game, but Rask now officially 4th line, and McKegg gets a chance to show something with Ferland and Williams. 

Aho-Wallmark-McKegg-Rask down the middle does point out the need for ideally a top 6 center even when Staal comes back. 

Necas might be ready next year, he's a ppg in the AHL. 

Gotta be something good going on down there, the Checkers are 27-8-3 and ahead of the second best team in the entire league by 9 points. 

Going to need good goaltending and probably a goal from the D. Can Dougie keep it rolling? (3 goals, 4 points in 3 games).

7 minutes ago, spyglass88 said:

Still don't understand why Ferland is not back with Aho and TT. 🤔

Completely agree spyglass. I've also been wondering that for a while now. I guess it's to spread the scoring out, but has McGinn really added much? He does not have Ferland's finish. Maybe trying to keep Ferland's totals down for his new contract. I keed. Sort of. 

I don't know if he's playing tonight, looks like not, but this is what the Checker's announcer pointed out about Renouf: (D man just called up):

From Chip's Twitter:

As @Jason_Shaya has said for a while now, Renouf has consistently been one of the strongest pieces on the #Checkers blue line this season