The Official Site of the Carolina Hurricanes
ironman87

Early GDT: Carolina Hurricanes @ Tampa Bay Lighning - 1/10/2019 7:30 PM

Here we go. The big boys are up next 

image.jpeg.c55779c0c30033afa70b08e9c5e99381.jpeg vs. image.jpeg.51bcdee5a07aae784350d845ef486566.jpeg

Date:  1/10/2019

Time:  7:30 PM ET

TV: SUN,  FS-SE (Spectrum 324)

Team Stats:

GF:  CAR 111 (28th), TB 177 (1st)

GA:  CAR 119 (9th), TB 124 (14th)

PP:  CAR 16.9% (23rd), TB 29.9% (1st)

PK:  CAR 80.8 (12th), TB 82.6% (12th)

Fun facts:

- Nikita Kucherov as 71 points (21 G, 50 a) in 43 games.  I think we may want to pay him some attention.

- The Lightning just had a 16-game point streak snapped. 

- The Lightning are 10 points ahead of the rest of the league.

- They have 3 20 goal scorers already (Brayden Point 26, Steven Stamkos 23, Kucherov 21).  Tyler Johnson has 18.  In summary, they are good at offense.

- Since November 1st, CAR has been passable in special teams.  PP 18.0% (18th),  PK 87.5% (2nd)

- The all-time record for most consecutive games with a shot on goal?  Ray Borque - 360 games.  I can't get the exact number on Dougie Hamilton, but he's around 2/3 of the way there.  Its the longest streak since Alex Ovechkin had his streak halted in February of 2017. 

• Like 2

Keys to winning:

1. Stay out of penalty box...we go on PK, they WILL score.

2. Hope it’s Domingue in net...at least we’ll have a chance

3. Hope the rest of the team is replaced by their ECHL counterparts 

6 hours ago, AWACSooner said:

Keys to winning:

1. Stay out of penalty box...we go on PK, they WILL score.

2. Hope it’s Domingue in net...at least we’ll have a chance

3. Hope the rest of the team is replaced by their ECHL counterparts 

4. Put one ☝️ or more goals in the net than the opponent (preferably in regulation)

• Like 1

Wait for it......wait for it.....

Power of the Pig.

I believe I started my new game day moto along with the winning streak. All five games. So I'm sticking with it.

• Like 2

Maybe TD should look to Vinik to see how a successful owner does business.  Vinik worked with Tampa to do a major arena renovation.  I don't know if he ticked off anyone -- which was TD's first action with the Centenial Authority.

And the management of the team speaks for itself.  'nuf said.

• Like 1

I noticed Kucherov was over 70, made me do a double take on where we are in the season. If he kept pace I think he'd be the highest scoring forward since 96 Lemieux?

24 minutes ago, Bonivan said:

I hate to say this but we'd better lose today to save energy for tomorrow game vs Buffalo

I would rather win tonight and carry the momentum into tomorrow for the game with the slugs

• Like 6

There's something about winning streaks. They go well beyond their likelihood based on simple statistics. Something to do with confidence and gripping the stick with exactly the right pressure I suspect added into the luck factor. What I'm saying is: while if one could pick which game to win it would be Buffalo, there is value, (beyond the two points), in keeping the winning streak rolling as long as possible. 

Also, and I have not actually studied this and could be wrong, it seems that once the streak is over, a let down often follows.

Also, almost by definition the only way to climb the mountain we built in front of us is with a prolonged win streak and probably at least two of them. 

Also, what better way to add to the confidence of a historically fragile group than to somehow find a way to beat the best team in the NHL this season, in their barn. 

I so badly want to beat Buffalo for many reasons, the 4 point swing being first among them, but how sweet a win here would be and keeping the streak alive! 

Stay in the mix, go for six.

• Like 1

39 minutes ago, remkin said:

I have not actually studied this and could be wrong, it seems that once the streak is over, a let down often follows

It does often seem that way. Good teams find a way to limit the damage and get back into winning ways. Other teams spiral downward in a hurry.

Good points rem and OBXer. One further thought, I just wonder that possibly a loss to a foe like Tampa might be more easily accepted, thus not quite as deflating, as one against a team more our equal? Just not too sure on a personal level how long I'll be able to hang if we are being maimed?

3 minutes ago, KJUNKANE said:

Good points rem and OBXer. One further thought, I just wonder that possibly a loss to a foe like Tampa might be more easily accepted, thus not quite as deflating, as one against a team more our equal? Just not too sure on a personal level how long I'll be able to hang if we are being maimed?

Probably so. And as put in the other GDT, a point here would honestly still be huge. 

The problem is that it would still be a loss, and then going back to back vs Buffalo, could drop 2 games, cutting the effect of the streak nearly in half. It is just soooo hard to climb the points mountain in the NHL. 

projected lineup for the Hurricanes.

Forwards

McGinn-Aho-Teravainen
Ferland-Wallmark-Martinook
Svechnikov-McKegg-Williams
Foegele-Rask-Maenalanen

Defense

Slavin-Pesce
de Haan-Faulk
van Riemsdyk-Hamilton

Goalies

Mrazek

You look at that line up. Then look at Tampa's. Then look at that line up. Then look at Tampa's. And you think, "really"? And yet it could happen! Somehow the boys do seem to rise to the occasion at times.

I personally think Mrazek is the right move. First, need to save McE for the Buffalo game. Second, Mrazek makes the spectacular save and we probably need a few of those. 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, remkin said:

I personally think Mrazek is the right move. First, need to save McE for the Buffalo game. Second, Mrazek makes the spectacular save and we probably need a few of those. 

Big ask for Mrazek. Career against Tampa 1-9. SV% 858.  GAA 3.88. McE gives us a better chance for the win but if we look at this game as as loss,McE better suited for Buffalo.

Edited by slapshot02
  • Like 1

28 minutes ago, hockeybaby said:

I think we might get this one. Shut down Mr. you know who.

Thunderbug?

1 hour ago, slapshot02 said:

Big ask for Mrazek. Career against Tampa 1-9. SV% 858.  

So you're saying there's a chance. 

• Like 1

Missed Tuesday due to work, missing tonight due to work.  Someone get my back with the 'Jesus, Hamilton' when appropriate and i'll tune be back to tease and tantalize you tomorrow.

39 minutes ago, realmdrakkar said:

Missed Tuesday due to work, missing tonight due to work.  Someone get my back with the 'Jesus, Hamilton' when appropriate and i'll tune be back to tease and tantalize you tomorrow.

We’ve resorted to calling him the “steaming pile.” ;)

I’ll miss the game too...beer league trumps a probably *edit* kicking