The Official Site of the Carolina Hurricanes
ironman87

Early GDT: Carolina Hurricanes @ Tampa Bay Lighning - 1/10/2019 7:30 PM

Well, we hung with em fir most of it...still think Svech needs to sit a few...his penalties are killing us

9 minutes ago, iceman11 said:

Go Canes...

if Skinner was on the 60 goal pace or whatever the hell pace he’s on, do you really really think it would matter if he got caught cheating once or twice?

I could live with the Canes trading him.  The problem is the team gave away a 30 goal scorer for free.  I don’t give a crap what supposed defensive deficiencies he had, you need to get back some help for your lineup.  Not a bunch of futures that may help you 5 years from now.

But don’t give me a bunch of garbage about him not playing hard or whatever.  The team had him playing with a bunch of AHL talent on a 3rd line. 

I don’t know how much rehashing we have to do. We do have a thread that has a lot of it in it.  

Skinner was a minus 4 over the last 3 seasons with the Canes against TB. That is even with him starting in o zone 70% of the time. 

Without reading through the thread...

I’ve been here for years and you can count on one hand, maybe no hands, the amount of times I have complained about the officiating. Having said that, I feel like we got screwed tonight and I’m really ****** off right now.

It’s more the no calls on us than the calls on us. Call it both ways if you are going to let them play, or if you are going to keep it tight. 

Hard working, high effort game from an under talent team and the game is decided by the officials.

As a side note, get McGinn off the top line please. The fact that we need an upgrade there couldn’t be more obvious......(except to the committee I guess).

• Like 6

9 hours ago, Kyrule said:

I’ve been here for years and you can count on one hand, maybe no hands, the amount of times I have complained about the officiating. Having said that, I feel like we got screwed tonight and I’m really ****** off right now.

It’s more the no calls on us than the calls on us. Call it both ways if you are going to let them play, or if you are going to keep it tight. 

Hard working, high effort game from an under talent team and the game is decided by the officials.

As a side note, get McGinn off the top line please. The fact that we need an upgrade there couldn’t be more obvious......(except to the committee I guess).

100% with all of this!

As a side note, get McGinn off the top line please.

Oh my God, this x10. We got Maenalanen because he's played with Aho and TT. I could see giving him a couple of games to get up to speed before putting them together, but it's time... if we're not going to put Ferland there. And why are we not, again??

Agreed, I'm  not one to complain about the refs but last night was an exception. Terrible calls all night long.Very,very minor contact in a few with enhanced diving skills and a few taps on the hands. Hockey is a physical game.

10 hours ago, KJUNKANE said:

Somebody more knowledgeable than I please explain something to me on this. Why is it that the consensus #2, and in some circles actually the #1 pick last year, has so much trouble not learning how to play without incurring this penalty? Is this allowed in Russia where he grew up? Can he not learn from his mistakes? Is he aloof to his responsibilities? I just cannot understand this problem. Sure you say, he is immature, but is this a mistake of a newbie?   

I cant explain it KJUNKANE. It should be fairly easy to control.It always seems to be at the worst moment. Most of the time the puck carrier is already past him and he reaches out to tap his hands. It's not a hard slap or slash likes he's trying to control posession or to stop a shot, just a love tap that serves no purpose. Drives me crazy.

• Like 1

10 hours ago, KJUNKANE said:

Somebody more knowledgeable than I please explain something to me on this. Why is it that the consensus #2, and in some circles actually the #1 pick last year, has so much trouble not learning how to play without incurring this penalty? Is this allowed in Russia where he grew up? Can he not learn from his mistakes? Is he aloof to his responsibilities? I just cannot understand this problem. Sure you say, he is immature, but is this a mistake of a newbie?   

It's a combination of two things: Biased officiating and Svech not learning the lesson the biased officials are trying to teach him.

That lesson: Guys with a couple of years in the league can do what he does all day long without getting called. Rookies cannot. And once the officials compare notes (which they do) they justify this weak call on that basis: "He's new, we want to break him of this." It's equivalent to holding in football: it happens on every single play of the game, and almost never called.

You don't get called for tripping if the guy is not tripped, i.e., actually impeded by the act. So why should you get a slashing or hooking call if there's no slash or hook? There's a big difference between laying your blade on the cuff of a guy's glove to let him know you're there, and swinging at (or hooking) his hands. But refs are focusing more on the (absolutely arbitrary) metric of the stick not being at or above parallel to the ice than on the effect of the act. As long as they do so, you'll keep seeing him called for it. 

I see this one in a lot of different lights. In terms of the outcome and how it should affect our winning ways, it is not that bad. This is the most elite regular season team in the NHL. Not only are they crammed full of high skill forwards that make quick, dynamic plays constantly, but they have a heavy defense and a top goalie. We have a way of running into teams that are either hot, desperate, or just flat out great. This is probably some sort of bias on my part, but it sure seems that way. When you factor in that the refs seemed determined to get a Tampa win (it's really probably more that they are in awe of them and just naturally give the better team the benefit, but it's still poor officiating), but anyways when the refs hand 6 PPs to the league's most leathal PP, that's a tough one.

But really, this is a case of one team being just the peak team, and how bad it stung that we almost had it, or at least one point.

In terms of the streak, we've played a mix of teams, mostly bottom feeders, but the NYI win was against another team with a big winning streak, and even staying in this one, was a good sign that if we keep playing this way, it could get interesting.

In terms of this game though, you are not beating the Lightning 1-0, especially if they get 6 PP's, and the lack of offensive finish was on prime display. We must be at the bottom of the league in finishing two on ones, and probably finishing breakaways too, and well, finishing anything. This game showed that need up again as Vasilevsky stops 24/25 for .963. 

And Mrazek almost got it done, so I'm sticking with that call.

And I still like McGinn as a 4th liner. His play all around the ice is solid. Until he gets in the O zone. He is not quick enough to create much offense. IMO he is NOT as skilled offensively as Ferland, and is notably the weakest link on that top line. That one irks me that Rod keeps going to him. I don't pin this all on him, but this is a 4th liner, and sort of remnisent of when we had LaRose on the first line. It seems to me that McGinn could have a nice career as a 4th liner. IMO forcing LaRose into the top 9 probably prematurely ended his NHL career. McGinn will never be a top liner. Let him bang in the bottom 6.

Of course the key to life here is getting it back in a 4 point swing tonight. It was a valiant effort from an overmatched team, but a loss tonight vs. Buffalo pushes us back into the weeds.

13 hours ago, slapshot02 said:

Looks like it might cost money though.

13 hours ago, coastal_caniac said:

Ask wxray

An organ would kill the fan experience, ya know.

• Like 1

Great overall game with the exception of the penalties. Gotta stop that mess. Gotta think RB made that a point of discussion.

17 hours ago, Whaler1 said:

Yea, it's that series of games played after the regular season where teams compete for the Cup

The canes chances of making it are dead .   face reality pal .