The Official Site of the Carolina Hurricanes
ironman87

GDT: Buffalo Sabres vs. Carolina Hurricanes - 7PM PNC Arena

1 minute ago, slapshot02 said:

Hope we shut out the entire team not just Skins. In any event Skins gets the last laugh,gonna be a rich young man after this season.

Yup. Our keepers have taken shutouts into the third several times here of late. How great would it be to hang a big ol' matzo ball on the Slugs--let alone these Slugs?

Carter Hutton in net for the Sabres

Hutton, is 15th in the NHL in GAA (2.57) and SV% (.918) this season.

2 minutes ago, wxray1 said:

Let Staal heal more.  For his sake and everyone's sake.

Skating is a baby step after a concussion. It could still be awhile before he is game ready.

3 hours ago, gocanes0506 said:

I bet we see more defense from Skinner than we have had in 4 seasons combined.

I'm not so sure about any improvement on his defensive commitment. In the few Buffalo games I watched, the biggest difference I noticed was his approach on offense. When he had the puck and is anywhere close to the slot he is still as selfish and dangerous as ever but he is nowhere near as stubborn any more trying to stick handle his way through two or three defenders and coughing up the puck most of the time.   

46 minutes ago, OBXer said:

Skating is a baby step after a concussion. It could still be awhile before he is game ready.

Staal told me in a grocery store it will be a couple more weeks at least.  he has good and bad days. 

• Like 1

26 minutes ago, Whaler1 said:

he is nowhere near as stubborn any more trying to stick handle his way through two or three defenders and coughing up the puck most of the time.   

Because for the first time in his NHL career he has teammates to pass to who are capable of advancing the play.

His shooting percentage is a ridiculous 21.5 percent, 7 points above his best here (which indicates how often he took low-percentage shots here, just to get o-zone face-offs).

• Like 2

Just now, Danimal38 said:

Staal told me in a grocery store it will be a couple more weeks at least.  he has good and bad days. 

Thanks for the intel, Danimal!

• Like 1

17 minutes ago, top-shelf-1 said:

Because for the first time in his NHL career he has teammates to pass to who are capable of advancing the play.

His shooting percentage is a ridiculous 21.5 percent, 7 points above his best here (which indicates how often he took low-percentage shots here, just to get o-zone face-offs).

Agree. And something that has always made Skinner successful is that he rarely, if ever, tries to score down low intentionally. He always targets the top half of the goal even if the goalie is way out of position, something we don't do nearly as much as I'd like to see.    

• Like 1

I wouldn't go as far to say for the first time in his NHL career, we had in house evidence he's not a selfish player from the times he skated with talent more on his level. He was quite a selfish player under BP for the reasons stated above.

Also in house evidence suggests if we rough em up legally, he'll go into a shell and we'll win the game. I'm just saying, that if we want points in the standings thats how you get points.

• Like 1

41 minutes ago, Danimal38 said:

Thanks Danimal.  This is not his first time.  He needs to be really careful and I hope the team is supporting that.

2 hours ago, Whaler1 said:

Agree. And something that has always made Skinner successful is that he rarely, if ever, tries to score down low intentionally. He always targets the top half of the goal even if the goalie is way out of position, something we don't do nearly as much as I'd like to see.    

In the butterfly era, 16" and higher are the best options, and it's not even close. Elite forwards can beat the butterfly five-hole and make it look simple (Aho), yeah... but for the huge majority it's where momma hides the cookies, and preferably way up, on the backhand side (for left shooters). Slavin keeps going backhand shelf because the backhand release is hard for keepers to pick up. You can literally roll it off the convex side of the blade and put it right where you want before the keeper even realizes it's left your stick, with far greater control than on the concave (forehand) side. But I would like to see him put a writer stick-side post about 16" up. That's a high percentage shot if you're coming in fast on many (North American) left-catch keepers because the emphasis on baseball here makes them naturally favor going/thinking left. Feint that way just a bit and it often opens guys up.

2 hours ago, wxray1 said:

Thanks Danimal.  This is not his first time.  He needs to be really careful and I hope the team is supporting that.

With the record over the last six, I'm thinking so :)

Just now, top-shelf-1 said:

With the record over the last six, I'm thinking so :)

Yeah, so is J just not playing up to snuff due to being maybe tentative because of worrying of further injury?   Or is he messing up the chemistry?  In any case, the play of the team turned around pretty significantly when he was out.  Ouch.

With Every Skinner goal that happens tonight  for me will be a personal  " F U "  to who ever thought , gee lets trade skinner for nothing .  and im going to enjoy every moment  if it does happen .  this is probably  the only team (the sabres )  i really dont care if the canes get beat by  .  Skinner was  a cane and now he is saber because of Don Waddell .  it's a gm's   job to get the best returns  possible   , not diminishing returns !  So to my boy Jeff Skinner , LIGHT THE CANES UP !

15 minutes ago, wxray1 said:

Yeah, so is J just not playing up to snuff due to being maybe tentative because of worrying of further injury?   Or is he messing up the chemistry? 

Well (like Rask) he skates at 20 m.p.h. while everybody else's tach is redlining...

14 minutes ago, Canesfanforever said:

With Every Skinner goal that happens tonight  for me will be a personal  " F U "  to who ever thought , gee lets trade skinner for nothing .  and im going to enjoy every moment  if it does happen .  this is probably  the only team (the sabres )  i really dont care if the canes get beat by  .  Skinner was  a cane and now he is saber because of Don Waddell .  it's a gm's   job to get the best returns  possible   , not diminishing returns !  So to my boy Jeff Skinner , LIGHT THE CANES UP !

Dude really? Look at the standings. A loss tonight with the Preds coming in would be a nail. A win might get us by them on sheer adrenaline. Skinner can have a double-natural hat trick for all I care. But this is a must game on a couple of levels, so if he does, we better win 7-6. In regulation.

Edited by top-shelf-1

2 minutes ago, top-shelf-1 said:

Dude really? Look at the standings. A loss tonight with the Preds coming in would be a nail. A win might get us by them on sheer adrenaline. Skinner can have a double-natural hat trick for all I care. But this is a must game on a couple of levels, so if he does, we better win 7-6. In regulation.

The win would be good.  Skinner's double toe-loop to complement the double hat trick would be a bonus.

Let's hope RB moves McGinn off the Aho-TT line so that line can get going again. McGinn is just not up to playing with Aho and TT and he's holding them back. Don't understand why RB won't put Ferland back on that line when it worked so well earlier in the season.

• Like 2

50 minutes ago, spyglass88 said:

Let's hope RB moves McGinn off the Aho-TT line so that line can get going again. McGinn is just not up to playing with Aho and TT and he's holding them back. Don't understand why RB won't put Ferland back on that line when it worked so well earlier in the season.

Maybe because Canes and Ferland "are not even close" regarding contract extension?

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Canesfanforever said:

Mabye you should change you name to Canesfansometimes.

• Like 5

5 hours ago, OBXer said:

Carter Hutton in net for the Sabres

Hutton, is 15th in the NHL in GAA (2.57) and SV% (.918) this season.

Lol,another hot goalie.