The Official Site of the Carolina Hurricanes
AWACSooner

GDT: Canes @ Rags, 15 Jan 19

Carolina Hurricanes @ New York Rangers

15 January, 2019; 7 pm EST

Madison Square Garden House of Horrors, NYC

David Quinn after their blowout loss to the BJ's on Sunday:
“You’re going to lose hockey games. But you better want to battle somebody. It’s just ridiculous.  Three games where we feel good about our effort and our compete, and then we come out here and do that? It’s a freaking joke.”

Uh oh...

And the fact that we're like 0 for the decade against these guys in MSG, this game screams:

It is a trap game.  This game is a must win, which seems like such an unfair ask after all we have accomplished over the last 8 games.

we are 3 points behind Buffalo and 5 behind Montreal.  Montreal's schedule until March is a mixed bag of hard and easy.  They have 4 Back-to-backs and play 8 of 17 games against for sure playoff teams plus 2 games against fringe playoff squads.  I would say their schedule is on the harder side and we have a decent chance of catching up to them over the next month and a half.  

Buffalo plays 17 games over the next month and a half with 7 of them against playoff contention squads and 2 against fringe playoff squads.  They only play 2 back to backs going into March as well.  Unless, Buffalo falls apart we'll be battling with them for the last slot well into March (not good seeing how hard our March schedule is). 

We have scored a bunch over the last 8 games but we are still minus, -7, in goal differential this season.  That usually doesn't bode well but there are a few teams with not so good goal differential in playoff contention.

East, Us a -7 (9th place), Buffalo at -4 (8th), and Montreal at even (7th), next closest is Columbus a +7 (tied for 4th)

West. the west is crazy right now.  Stars -1 (tied for 6th), Then they are 4 teams tied for the last playoff spot and all of them have a minus goal differential: Wild (-4), Oilers (-13), Ducks (-28), and Canucks (-12).  

• Like 1

Henrik Lundqvist goes for the Rangers. 12-12-7  3.08   .907

8-5-5 with a 2.71 GAA and .913 SV% at MSG this season.

It should be McE for us 11-5-1  2.30  .921

Looking forward to this game. Will be watching with the same Rangers fan in which I enjoyed an 8-5 win over early in the season. Excited about being at the  the upcoming Feb 8 game. Tonight is business. We will break the MSG drought.

Canes 112

Rags -2

• Like 1

I dunno guys...in gearing up for Star Warz night on Friday,

”I’ve got a bad feeling about this.”

I don't see it on the Canes site, but the preview via NHL app shows the projected lineup with McGinn on the 1st line, and Ferland on the 2nd... *edit*?

The author is Dan Rosen - he isn't following the Canes, is he?

This is from the Cane's Website:  I cannot imagine breaking up that top line right now, so I'm going with this.

Forwards

Ferland-Aho-Teravainen
McGinn-Wallmark-Martinook
Svechnikov-McKegg-Williams
Foegele-Rask-Maenalanen

Defense

Slavin-Pesce
de Haan-Faulk
van Riemsdyk-Hamilton

Wallmark and McKegg have been very good, but it is still kind of amazing on paper that Wallmark-McKegg-Rask down the middle lines 2-4 has been part of winning 7 of 8 (and nearly 8/8). 

• Like 2

this will be a very importing game in the standing .now that buffalo is now starting to slide  

Edited by ja1964
makes more sense

5 hours ago, OBXer said:

Henrik Lundqvist goes for the Rangers. 12-12-7  3.08   .907

8-5-5 with a 2.71 GAA and .913 SV% at MSG this season.

It should be McE for us 11-5-1  2.30  .921

I hope we see old Lundqvist not a rejuvenated one.

• Like 2

I knew that the Canes hadn’t won in NY for s while.  Had no idea last won was in 2010.  That’s crazy.

Time to end the streak TONIGHT!!!

This team has played much better on B2B and on every other day scheduling for this whole season. For this reason I see friday as more of a trap after 2 full days off. It's the inconsistent scheduling that has produced laid eggs consistently. If they're on their game, the Garden hex means nothing. Seldom have they rolled into NYC with more swagger than recent consistency has dealt. And it's not the HL of old. I wanna hear boos in that arena tonight, and should.