The Official Site of the Carolina Hurricanes
sleekfeeder

Trade: W Nino Niederreiter for C Victor Rask (no joke)

5 minutes ago, OBXer said:

So where does Nino slot in

Ferland-Aho-Teravainen
McGinn-Wallmark-Martinook
Svechnikov-McKegg-Williams
Foegele-Rask-Maenalanen

Can Maenalanen or Martinook slot on the left, because as I look at that, as high as I was on him at the start of the season, Foegele stands out as the odd man.

Edit: Or just play Nino on the left. That'd be simpler than moving other guys around.

Edited by Chuffy_McChufferson

I love this trade !   now we just need to trade the rest of the dead weight  on the team  , mcginn , faulk , darling ,  and come next year get a proven goalie  and let mrazek go    and  maybe call up ned if nothing is available ?   and the canes should  be a tad bit better !   im so glad rask is gone ! 

Just now, KJUNKANE said:

Nino is R wing, is he not? Thus are you suggesting playing him on his off wing?

he is left handed, could play both like Svech I assume.  

• Like 1

So I go to work and this happens. I was going to respond way back that I liked Nino but not for Staal, and boom. 

We would have paid a lot more for Nino last year, but Rask's value has never been there save for about 3 months a long time ago. I was ready to dump Rasks' salary for used hockey pucks. 

Nino is having a down year, but he's been productive for multiple years before that. He may just need a change of scenery, but Rask may need a change of career level. 

I don't want to speak to soon, but I have to agree it sure looks like we really got away with one here.

Just to expand. Nino is having an outlier bad year, Rask is having a continutation of 1.5 years.

Even with bad years this year:

Nino 16 goal, 40 point pace over 82

Rask: 3 goal, 16 pont projected pace over 82

Nino has essentially put up 20 the past 4 years, and two years ago, 25 goals/57 points. Nino is last on the team in plus/minus this year, but has been plus every year in the past. I don't know if something has materially changed due to injury or something, but if not, a change of scenery could yield a 20 goal 50 point, plus player for a guy we would have had to dump for nothing. 

If he is not fighting an injury, it's hard to see how we didn't make out like bandits on this.

While it's not THE move, on this move itself:  I give the committee an A.

• Like 6

2 hours ago, OBXer said:

So where does Nino slot in

Ferland-Aho-Teravainen
McGinn-Wallmark-Martinook
Svechnikov-McKegg-Williams
Foegele-Rask-Maenalanen

I throw Nino in with Wallmark and Martinook and move Foegele out. Move McGinn down with McKegg and see if he can rekindle the past success he had with Williams.It would be tough if we sent Saku down after scoring two goals. Svech with Bishop and Saku. Svech is running out of gas and we know the stick penalties are killing us.

Edited by slapshot02
  • Like 3

We win this trade as I have wanted Rask out for the last two years. Addition of a few more goals never hurts. Nino may be used on the PP as well to add a little more oomph. Good trade but not a game changer and not enough to move us up the standings to the promised land. Wouldn't be suprised if Nino is used for packaging deals in the future.

I have no idea what I'll do now since I can no longer gripe about Rask floating around and NEVER winning a puck battle along the boards.  Welcome aboard Nino!

• Like 1

Does Minnesota need a goalie? We have one available in Charlotte. A conditional 2022 7th round pick should do it. If you haven’t looked at the In Season thread, McE is having knee soreness, presumably necessitating Ned’s recall.

3 minutes ago, bluedevilcane said:

Does Minnesota need a goalie? We have one available in Charlotte. A conditional 2022 7th round pick should do it. If you haven’t looked at the In Season thread, McE is having knee soreness, presumably necessitating Ned’s recall.

Darling doesn't have SV% over 90 even in NHL. We might need to eat as much salary as possible

1 hour ago, Canesfanforever said:

I love this trade !   now we just need to trade the rest of the dead weight  on the team  , mcginn , faulk , darling ,  and come next year get a proven goalie  and let mrazek go    and  maybe call up ned if nothing is available ?   and the canes should  be a tad bit better !   im so glad rask is gone ! 

I know I should quote you (sorry guys) but your constant hammering of Faulk and McGinn make me wonder if you even watch the games. McGinn is over slotted but the type of guy every team has on their 4th borderline 3rd lines, we already have him why create a hole? And Faulk had a bad year last year I went argue that but has bailed out both Mrazek and Mac on many occasions this year and doing so has won at least 3 games on his own on top of being a very solid defender. I dont know what changed for him maybe he isnt suited to Peters D style maybe he didnt get along with him idk, but he has been stellar on D this year, and if you think otherwise you just dont know what you are watching

• Like 7

1 hour ago, gocanes0506 said:

I wonder how quickly this worked out.  Nothing from the Minnesota or Carolina side to hint at this.

I think sleekfeeder just called both teams and said, “make this happen!”... 😉😄

• Like 7

34 minutes ago, Bonivan said:

Darling doesn't have SV% over 90 even in NHL. We might need to eat as much salary as possible

I was joking. Don’t use emojis (maybe I should start) but was definite sarcasm. It just looked like Minnesota got so hosed in the trade for Nino, we should offer them Darling. Of course, no one is taking Darling if we eat 50% of his salary, which I think is the most allowed. If I’m not mistaken, he got run after allowing 3 goals in one period the other night for Charlotte. If he looks after his money, the guy is going to be rich, so I probably shouldn’t feel sorry for him, but I do hate to see someone scratch and claw to get where he was when the Canes signed him only to fail so badly. Not sorry enough to ever see him play for the Canes again, though.

Uhhhhhhh yeah... so we made a deal! I hope Victor can pull it together in MN or wherever he ultimately winds up. And I echo the concerns of many that this feels like setting up to move Ferland. Maenalanen has played with TT and Aho, and if that doesn't work out we cover ourselves with Niederreiter, a proven NHL winger. Nothing would make me happier than an announcement that we're paying Ferland, but where I had been holding my breath hopefully, after this move it's hard to believe we will.

4 minutes ago, legend-1 said:

I feel like this deal may somewhat confirm Ferland's eyeballing more then 6 mil, if TD's ok paying Nieds close to 6 mil for 40-50 point services then that's got me asking myself what in the hell Ferland's asking.

Exactly and if he wasn't asking for 6 mil he is now.

15 minutes ago, OBXer said:

The Scott Steven days are over and have been since the interference rule was changed and the red line became a ceremonial line .

when you go for a check on a guy with the puck  which stevens use to do a ton for NJ  ,   it would  motivate his team mates ,  and send a message   not to be trying any BS   on them .    defensemen can still do that , what the nhl does not want to see however is  checking to the head  to a player who never had the puck in the first place .   

1 minute ago, Chuffy_McChufferson said:

Add me to the group of "please don't trade Ferland".

Why in the blue hell  would the canes  trade Ferland  when they fought to try and pry him off calgary   ?   I know Don Waddell is stupid but he is not that stupid lol 

Just now, Canesfanforever said:

Great steal for the canes .   It could of been a salary dump for the wild but who knows . 

Only 1 mil difference so no dump there.