Jump to content
The Official Site of the Carolina Hurricanes
sleekfeeder

Trade: W Nino Niederreiter for C Victor Rask (no joke)

Recommended Posts

10 minutes ago, legend-1 said:

I feel like this deal may somewhat confirm Ferland's eyeballing more then 6 mil, if TD's ok paying Nieds close to 6 mil for 40-50 point services then that's got me asking myself what in the hell Ferland's asking.

 

Seems that's the writing on the wall.  And all this speculation started with a big whaaaaaaattt when Tom Wilson dollars were thrown around, lol.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I'm not sure what will happen with Ferland.  However, if this team now starts to storm in the right direction and with the return of Staal pushes us into the playoffs.  We might be trying to resign him.  Keep in .kind, this team is dead last in terms of team salary cap still.

 

I for one think you cannot have enough power forwards.   Ferland is s good one.  Hope this guy is too.  The top 6 now looks good.  Svech or Ninno will need to play off side.

 

FAT

Ninno-Staal-Svech

Martinook-Wallmark- Williams

Who cares.

 

Edited by bluedevil58
  • Like 3

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
6 minutes ago, coastal_caniac said:

 

Seems that's the writing on the wall.  And all this speculation started with a big whaaaaaaattt when Tom Wilson dollars were thrown around, lol.

Yeah,I'd like to know what Ferland is asking for.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
6 minutes ago, slapshot02 said:

Yeah,I'd like to know what Ferland is asking for.

Cap is rising almost every year. Capwise 6 mil now will not be the same as 6 mil in 4 or 5 years. But if TD is not sure about how much he can spend from his pocket then cap and all that stuff doesn't matter.

Edited by Bonivan
Missed word

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4 minutes ago, Kyrule said:

Like Svech, I am Super Hyeppy with this trade.

In Soviet Russia, Rask wouldn't  have even been worth a bottle of Vodka in a trade

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

For what it’s worrh, ESPN has given us a B+ for the trade.

 

BTW, this is all for naught this season is the damn Isles keep winning (and they’re up 3-0 on NJ right now).  Here’s praying they go on an Anaheim level losing streak 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Red_Storm said:

 

I think sleekfeeder just called both teams and said, “make this happen!”... 😉😄

I got my info from my insider. Told me Nino was going to be a Cane. Reliable, but never told me her real name. Just told me to call her Marley.

  • Like 5

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
44 minutes ago, AWACSooner said:

For what it’s worrh, ESPN has given us a B+ for the trade.

 

Man, what's it take to get an A - ? Did they give Minnesota a grade?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Someone already mentioned that Wild were pretty close to the cap limit, and this trade frees up $1.5m in space.  Plus:

 

From https://thehockeynews.com/news/article/swap-sends-rask-to-wild-niederreiter-to-hurricanes-as-carolina-seeks-scoring-punch

 

Through 46 games in Minnesota, Niederreiter has registered just nine goals and 23 points, which puts him on 16-goal, 41-point pace across an 82-game campaign. It’s not just in the point department that Niederreiter has struggled, though, as his fit with the Wild had come into question of late. To wit, after an ice time average clear of 15 minutes per outing over the past three seasons, Niederreiter had seen his minutes drop south of 15 per game in 2018-19 and Wild coach Bruce Boudreau had relegated the Swiss scorer to the fourth line in recent outings. In Minnesota’s Tuesday contest against the Los Angeles Kings, Niederreiter skated 13 shifts and saw the ice for less than 10 minutes. It was the second time this season his ice time had been limited to that extent.

 

 

I like the trade, but sounds like there may be more of a "change of environment might do both good" situation involved than those of us who haven't been following Nino closely might have suspected.. 

 

Edited by LakeLivin

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 minutes ago, LakeLivin said:

I like the trade, but sounds like there may be more of a "change of environment might do both good" situation involved than those of us who haven't been following Nino closely might have suspected.

 

 

Dude, folks around here watch the other teams and know the players and their trends.  :P

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
7 minutes ago, LakeLivin said:

I like the trade, but sounds like there may be more of a "change of environment might do both good" situation involved than those of us who haven't been following Nino closely might have suspected.. 

I'm not sure what has Nino in the coach's doghouse, and that may be a risk here, but Rask was also playing 4th line and putting up way less points per game.

 

I know that the annoying trend has been for Canes to go on and thrive elsewhere, but I just don't think Rask has enough game for a change of scenery to matter. It's been a long long run of scant production. For Nino it's only been this year.

 

Again, unless there's something specific affecting Nino's game, I give him a dramatically better chance of being the higher producer with his change of scenery. This is a guy several here have wanted for quite awhile, and I'm excited to see what he can do. I've seen enough of Rask.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Think NN has plenty of game left, and fortunately, I think, the kind of previously demonstrated physicality and dirty area grit we need more of, unlike Rask. Not sure what the Wild forward scouts had been seeing to green light such a deal, and as I have remarked here several times, coming back from the injury, Rask's hand skill never came back with him, not to mention so much hesitancy in all O zone maneuvers. Personally, and SADLY I would add, I think his injury was career ending as a productive contributor on any team at the NHL level. As we Caniacs have learned, being in a coach's doghouse, as NN's ice time indicates this year can't be considered a measure of effective career left. At the price, NN will have a lot of gritty, hard work and point production to do to show me that any thought of not signing Ferland, whatever he's asking, would be wise long term. Even at only medium point production, Ferland has brought a measure of what this traditionally soft franchise has been missing for too long, and I'm hoping the trade is not an indication that he is in any way expendable. I see that part of his equation, particularly for this team lacking without it, to be worth 2 to 2.5/year. My two cents.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
8 minutes ago, 2ndsacker said:

Think NN has plenty of game left, and fortunately, I think, the kind of previously demonstrated physicality and dirty area grit we need more of, unlike Rask. Not sure what the Wild forward scouts had been seeing to green light such a deal, and as I have remarked here several times, coming back from the injury, Rask's hand skill never came back with him, not to mention so much hesitancy in all O zone maneuvers. Personally, and SADLY I would add, I think his injury was career ending as a productive contributor on any team at the NHL level. As we Caniacs have learned, being in a coach's doghouse, as NN's ice time indicates this year can't be considered a measure of effective career left. At the price, NN will have a lot of gritty, hard work and point production to do to show me that any thought of not signing Ferland, whatever he's asking, would be wise long term. Even at only medium point production, Ferland has brought a measure of what this traditionally soft franchise has been missing for too long, and I'm hoping the trade is not an indication that he is in any way expendable. I see that part of his equation, particularly for this team lacking without it, to be worth 2 to 2.5/year. My two cents.

Not sure what you are saying with the last sentence, 2ndsacker? You do realize that if the salary you state is for Ferland, that he's been rumored to be asking more than double that amount, and some saying about triple? maybe I've misunderstood you?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

NN - the Jeff Skinner of Minnesota. Is it asking too much for him to come here and blow away his best season’s production in Minnesota? Skinner was down last year, then exploded when he got to Buffalo. Unfortunately, we don’t have an Eichel to play him with. Aho needs to stay with TT and Ferland. But maybe just getting out of a situation where he had grown stale will reinvigorate him. I’m excited to see him play tomorrow.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Sure I realize what he's rumored to be looking for.  What I was saying is that amount in his particular style and form of toughness, is worth for this team in particular, about the same as worth could be determined were his point production doubled in the numbers he puts up. In other words, I'd pay him in the 6 to 7 range without the point numbers that most players who would get that amount put up. He has brought an intangible that soft Canes players haven't been willing to bring for too many seasons and I see value in that, that not every team in the league even looks at closely, but this traditionally soft team needs to consider of value.

14 minutes ago, KJUNKANE said:

Not sure what you are saying with the last sentence, 2ndsacker? You do realize that if the salary you state is for Ferland, that he's been rumored to be asking more than double that amount, and some saying about triple? maybe I've misunderstood you?

 

Edited by 2ndsacker
  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I  can only think that Minnesota scouts went back and watched video of Rasks glory months at the start of the 16-17 season. That or Don Wadell has some compromising pictures.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

Loading...

×
×
  • Create New...