The Official Site of the Carolina Hurricanes
sleekfeeder

Trade: W Nino Niederreiter for C Victor Rask (no joke)

2 hours ago, slapshot02 said:

Yeah,I'd like to know what Ferland is asking for.

I heard that he was asking for $5M, but we were offering $4M.  Can't confirm the factuality of that hearsay.

2 hours ago, AWACSooner said:

For what it’s worrh, ESPN has given us a B+ for the trade.

BTW, this is all for naught this season is the damn Isles keep winning (and they’re up 3-0 on NJ right now).  Here’s praying they go on an Anaheim level losing streak 

Other than Levy and Melrose, who at ESPN knows anything about hockey?

6 minutes ago, wscaniac said:

They do a lot of crossover work with the folks at TSN north of the border 

11 minutes ago, wscaniac said:

I heard that he was asking for $5M, but we were offering $4M.  Can't confirm the factuality of that hearsay.

$5M?  That’s it?

PAY THE MAN!!!

• Like 1

16 minutes ago, remkin said:

I  can only think that Minnesota scouts went back and watched video of Rasks glory months at the start of the 16-17 season. That or Don Wadell has some compromising pictures.

I heard Waddell sent video of Rask to their scouting staff where Ferland was wearing a Rask jersey while playing.  

• Like 1

Im just holding off on being too excited.  His numbers last two seasons are eh.  We have continually taken on players who were good for a few years, than not so good for a couple and hoped the change of scenery is the answer.   Works out one out of 10 times. This is Not the trade that makes us a contender but a piece that could help if we get another big piece.  I mean Skinner made about the same salary as this guy and scored 24 goals and was conaidered a failure last season.  Now we are so excited about a 15-20 goal guy for same amount.  Cool, hope our third  line trade works out this time. Not to exciting in my book. Another eh for an eh trade. 

7 hours ago, Danimal38 said:

Im just holding off on being too excited.  His numbers last two seasons are eh.  We have continually taken on players who were good for a few years, than not so good for a couple and hoped the change of scenery is the answer.   Works out one out of 10 times. This is Not the trade that makes us a contender but a piece that could help if we get another big piece.  I mean Skinner made about the same salary as this guy and scored 24 goals and was conaidered a failure last season.  Now we are so excited about a 15-20 goal guy for same amount.  Cool, hope our third  line trade works out this time. Not to exciting in my book. Another eh for an eh trade. 

Given what I've read, I get your guarded outlook about NN.  But as others have pointed out, the chances of NN helping the Canes still have to be a lot greater than the chances of Rask helping the Canes. And since many seem to think Rask had negative value in relation to his contract, I love this roll of the dice.  And happy to see TD sinking a bit of $ into the gambit.  Completely agree with you that this isn't THE MOVE that the Canes need to make, but until that happens I'm glad to see movement.

• Like 3

I really hope he is on Svech's line with Wallmark and eventually another center.  Nino needs to get back with talented folks and Svech could use someone who is capable of scoring regularly.    We might see him on the 4th line tonight to ease him in.  

10 hours ago, wscaniac said:

Melrose is without clue. A hanger-on who should have been cut loose years ago. Much like his mullet.

Edited by top-shelf-1

10 hours ago, wscaniac said:

What's your source? And just to be clear, some guy in a bar doesn't count.

You know, a lot of us think Foegele is the odd man out, but I'm wondering if Nino's acquisition doesn't lead to Svech getting those couple of games in the press box he so sorely needs. The stick penalties have got to stop, and whatever else may be true of Foegele, he's only made six trips to the box--to Andrei's 22.

This is an excellent trade.   Rask needs a change and we need new blood.   I hope this is just the start of a couple of more trades.   My next choice for a move is Hamilton.  We really need another stay at home defenseman.   These so called puck moving defenseman are getting old.   Hamilton keeps moving the pucks to the other team or allows them to move the puck past him.   Just my unofficial observation.  

9 hours ago, Danimal38 said:

Like Lake responded a couple of hours ago Danimal, I share your concern with this player and realize that this isn't THE trade to put us over the hump. For me though it does 3 things. 1st, it lets me know that there's still a pulse somewhere in the offices of PNC Arena.That alone was a bright spot to my Thursday. And the mythical "change of scenery" as you point out conservatively has a "1 in 10 chance" of coming to fruition? I'd point out here that those odds seem better than ones I fear that Rask is capable of, but I am hopeful for him and his new team.

2nd, and granted this is hopeful thinking, but I just wonder if this player's familiarity with the Western Conference might(fingers crossed) help us on our upcoming West Coast swing, Even an advantage in one of those games would be huge.

Finally, my hope is that this trade opens up the portal to make at least one more, and I pray that doesn't involve #79? 

11 hours ago, remkin said:

I  can only think that Minnesota scouts went back and watched video of Rasks glory months at the start of the 16-17 season. That or Don Wadell has some compromising pictures.

Give credit to Tripp.Tripp must of been sitting next to a few MN scouts as the last few games he was talking up Rask stating this is the best he's looked all year. We all laughed at Tripp.🤣

Nino isn't the top 6 scorer we are after but he does allow us to make addtional moves while adding a potential 20 goal scorer. More important is we were able to move Rask and open up the middle for Bishop, McKegg, Staal and the promising Necas. I never would of believed we could move Rasks contract without retaining some salary or losing him (maybe) on waivers.

With NN on the top 6 as a power forward and if we can move a Dman for another top 6 forward we will have the ability to move Ferland if needed. I want to see him signed here but if that isn't possible it does make it manageable

This appears to have been a really good move by Waddell. The proof will be in how NN responds.

• Like 2

Our fore check is already a problem for a lot of teams to deal with.  If he brings the physical game I hear he does there will be a parade for him after his second hit.

• Like 1

Good trade and it fits the change in trying to get tougher. It's a miracle we got anything for Rask. Cleared up a slot without retaining salary. Never thought we would get more for Rask over Skinner.

• Like 3

36 minutes ago, cc said:

That, nor the links in it, say anything like what wscaniac did, that he wants $5 million and we'll only go 4. The only reference to any number at all was (parapharasing) "Will it be more than $6 million or less?"

38 minutes ago, OBXer said:

Nino isn't the top 6 scorer we are after but he does allow us to make addtional moves while adding a potential 20 goal scorer. More important is we were able to move Rask and open up the middle for Bishop, McKegg, Staal and the promising Necas. I never would of believed we could move Rasks contract without retaining some salary or losing him (maybe) on waivers.

With NN on the top 6 as a power forward and if we can move a Dman for another top 6 forward we will have the ability to move Ferland if needed. I want to see him signed here but if that isn't possible it does make it manageable

This appears to have been a really good move by Waddell. The proof will be in how NN responds.

Rask and (Eric) Staal are about equal in terms of skating speed, but Rask gets back on D. One on the other's wing in Minny might actually work out for them. Time will tell.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, top-shelf-1 said:

That, nor the links in it, say anything like what wscaniac did, that he wants $5 million and we'll only go 4. The only reference to any number at all was (parapharasing) "Will it be more than $6 million or less?"

"I'd love to stay in Carolina" if true puts the ball in TD's court. Does he want to play at the asking price is the question. I'm hoping NN was a net add to try and get better not an insurance policy as a replacement.

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, slapshot02 said:

"I'd love to stay in Carolina" if true puts the ball in TD's court. Does he want to play at the asking price is the question. I'm hoping NN was a net add to try and get better not an insurance policy as a replacement.

Net add is my hope too, while insurance policy is my fear. And I think that pretty much sums up where most of us are, in the bigger picture of what (also hopefully) is our "Sounds great, now prove it Tom," moment--just before he goes out and does. Like coastal says, if that happens, I'll become a convert too.

• Like 1