The Official Site of the Carolina Hurricanes
sleekfeeder

Trade: W Nino Niederreiter for C Victor Rask (no joke)

16 minutes ago, gocanes0506 said:

Post Skate interview with El Nino

Needless to say he is "excited about it"

Although I called him "serious" in the first interview, this one was a bit more relaxed, and being able to see the guy smile was a nice change of pace from does-he-ever-crack-a-grin-Rask.

Now on to the game play.  "Keep it simple" for the first game, they always say.

Edited by wxray1
  • Like 1

Maybe this guy comes in and experiences the " Lindholm Syndrome". It would only be hockey justice right? We finally buy low on a guy, or even in this case, and he comes in a tears it up?

Edited by sleekfeeder

15 minutes ago, top-shelf-1 said:

I'm with you on everything but this. I think if we really want to change the culture here, we have to finish the job of moving out everybody who has been here five years or more.

Faulk and Jordo are the last two, and Faulk's elevated play on the intended side of the puck (for a defenseman) may ameliorate the concerns of a prospective trade partner who is playoff-bound and looking to shore up their back-end D immediately, and have D-oriented forward with playoff experience to step in if needed anytime between now through the playoffs. (cough*JR*cough). We'll take Evgeny, sure Jim. :) I could also see us offering both to Ott for Duchene, even though the Sens aren't playoff-bound. 

Understand that view completely.  I just see Hamilton as costing us games lately.. or at the least making very big mistakes/turnovers/ vs Faulk who has been pretty solid.. IF Hamilton starting scoring.. maybe different story.   I would however not say no to Evgeny for sure.    Duchene.. not so much but hey he'd be a nice addition too.. really I"m just excited that something positive (I think) has happened and ..maybe more on the way.

• Like 1

At least last night NN looked pretty good. I thought he was really slow at one point, but Williams praised his patience and now I'm thinking he looked slow up the ice because he was waiting for the rest of the lead foots to catch up to the play. He went to the net and had at least one grade A chance.

Yesterday Boomer Gordon was trying to pump the breaks on this trade being massively one sided which apparently the "analytics guys" were saying. He went on to say how NN doesn't drive offense. 

But we weren't going to trade Rask for a guy who can drive offense anyways. We just needed a guy who could fit into at least our top 9 with some upside, because Rask was not that. It's still too early, but it seems we've achieved that.

Clearly we still need that D for O move for exactly that: a guy who can drive offense. But when we do, NN could be a very nice complementary 20 goal, 45 point guy.

• Like 1

He may not drive offense, but last night he drove offense.  He singlehandedly fore checked away a puck, drove net, and potted it.

Yeah that was pretty sweet. Apparently NN is a bit of an analytics darling. Boomer has grown sour on analytics. I think a lot of analytics are kind of a bit like a more refined +/-, looking at surrogate markers (based on shots) since goals are so rare. So it's not terribly precise. That said, there still can be some hidden good in there if our team and coaches can unlock it.

And to go on about things that are kept fairly secret, and thus can't be proven, there are indications we are using much better surrogate stats than the typical advanced stats to evaluate players. Lots of direct observations of small impactful plays players make, (or don't make) even if they never lead to a shot (and thus often missed by advanced stats). I'm guessing that plays like that one last night happen more often than average by NN. 

I like the player. I love the trade. Doubt he'll have a Lindholm like explosion, but he doesn't need to. He just needs to be solid and produce more than Rask would have here. That looks like a pretty good bet.

On 1/18/2019 at 11:39 AM, remkin said:

Also, as we look to our line up for next year, I know Foegele has not produced this year, but he is a rookie and absolutely the type of guy who could jump up substantially after an offseason. And yet, if we make the D for O and keep Ferland, Foegele is a 4th liner. I think this speaks to the potential depth we could have if we play it right.

Give me a top center and another RW and I'm good. JW is nearing the end.

Inside the Nino trade

for those interested 

recap:

they wanted to upgrade the top 6 forwards after the 6-3 win against Nashville.

Nino was on the list of 10-12 forwards that they put together after the WJC.

they started talking on the 14th. 

Tried complicating the deal, possibly making it a bigger deal. Talking over Monday and Tuesday about different scenarios.

Wednesday the 16th, said mine and your guy needs a change of scenery.  

Done.

pretty quick, IMO.  If I understand this correctly, the Wild GM was tired of negotiating with Waddell.  He gave in at the end and just said “let’s do it.”  

Solid negotiating technique, Waddell, solid.  The old “annoy them until they just cant take it anymore and give in” technique.  😜 

Edited by gocanes0506
  • Like 1

I can't help but think of the scene in Fargo where Jerry wears down the car buyers and makes them eat a bad deal. 

"Where's my checkbook?  Let's get this over with!"  Ha ha ha.  (Mild language warning near the end.  Stop at "you lied to me" if a concern.)

Edited by wxray1

On 1/17/2019 at 3:40 PM, super_dave_1 said:

Haven't watched Nino lately, but this has to be a net add for the team

That physical goal he scored against Edmonton was pretty nice.  Definitely an add for this team if he keeps that play up.

6 minutes ago, sleekfeeder said:

Sorry this deserves a morning laugh.

MWWWAAAHHAHAHAHAHHAHA!!

0BDCFF59-8667-4B09-BCAB-6EB3F860618A.gif

We basically solved one of our top 6 issues for a few extra pennies. This guy is legit, fits our team style, and looks extremely motivated. 

I like Boomer Gordon. One of the things I like about him is that he's willing to admit when he was wrong. Wonder if he's re-thinking his meh on the Rask for NN deal.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, remkin said:

I like Boomer Gordon. One of the things I like about him is that he's willing to admit when he was wrong. Wonder if he's re-thinking his meh on the Rask for NN deal.

He probably assumed that NN was on the 4th line on the WIld for a reason.  Injury, laziness, etc.  I had a reservation on the trade which I stated that I hope there isn't any sort of injury or previous injury that made him a different player.  So far, that doesn't seem to be the case.  He has come in and produced way faster than I thought.  I think that is because he has an elite #1 feeding him the puck.  Whether we want to admit it yet or not.  This team does have an elite 1C.

• Like 1

16 minutes ago, bluedevil58 said:

He probably assumed that NN was on the 4th line on the WIld for a reason.  Injury, laziness, etc.  I had a reservation on the trade which I stated that I hope there isn't any sort of injury or previous injury that made him a different player.  So far, that doesn't seem to be the case.  He has come in and produced way faster than I thought.  I think that is because he has an elite #1 feeding him the puck.  Whether we want to admit it yet or not.  This team does have an elite 1C.

To be fair, he thought we got the better of the deal, but just not by that much. 

Concerns about NN seem fair given how he was being used. However given how Rask had faired and for so much longer, it was a good bet, and another committee win. The Skinner return is a big loss, but Martinook, DeHaan, McE, and Nino have been wins. The big trade, too soon to tell, but Dougie really seems to be gaining confidence and Fox, if we can sign him, is blowing NCAA hockey out of the water. If we trade Ferland for a first rounder, we may have to wait years for final judgement on that one.

9 minutes ago, bluedevil58 said:

If Ferland is traded then the team has regressed back 2 to 3 years.  Getting him signed should be a priority.

You did watch the game last night, right? Now I am the 1st to admit that I had great reservations on trading Ferland, but seeing that and a few games before, I'm seeing teamwide toughness coming around and with NN in the fold, I am no longer deeply entrenched in the "No Trade Ferland Movement", particularly if he is just lukewarm for staying?

18 minutes ago, bluedevil58 said:

If Ferland is traded then the team has regressed back 2 to 3 years.  Getting him signed should be a priority.

No matter who or what he's traded for, the team regresses 2 to 3 years?