The Official Site of the Carolina Hurricanes
AWACSooner

GDT: Sens @ Canes...the rebound game...18 Jan 19

42 minutes ago, KJUNKANE said:

None of this wishy washy diatribe that seems pantomimed from BP and several before him?

Yeah, well. Whatever "wishy wishy pantomimed diatribe" BP uttered to his team last night worked: It came back from a 3-2 deficit early in the third to win going away, 6-4, at home, against a team (DET) it was supposed to beat. Which this team still struggles to do--or in the case of last night, didn't even appear willing to struggle to try to do.

Edited by top-shelf-1

14 minutes ago, top-shelf-1 said:

I'd like to just add that Tripp's glowing little talk about the effectiveness of cross-corner dump-ins was also a lot malarkey. What he (conveniently) ignored is that if you're doing your job on D - specifically, not letting an opposing player get behind you - the play doesn't work. Proper positioning and gaps, both of which have been completely absent in the last two games, buys you time to turn and either beat the opposing player to the puck, or (at least) make it a 50/50.

Remember he was a goalie,nuff said.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, KJUNKANE said:

Well thank you for that advice, Ron, I'll get right on the horn and give Mr Waddell a call and share? BTW, I thought you were now in Real Estate, haha.

On a more serious note, I had to let my tickets go last night as I'm dealing with the flu(what a fortune break it seems) and recorded the game, but now having 2nd thought about watching without 1 or 2 rounds of single malt? Please someone tell the results were not all on Mrazek?

Mrazek was getting shelled. Very few blocked shots by our guys,plenty by the opponent. We had trouble clearing the puck out of our end. Mrazek made some very nice saves. Very easily could of been 9 goals.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, slapshot02 said:

Same old cycle. The bottom line is that we do not have the talent to SUSTAIN a playoff caliber team. A decade later we go on 1 or two winning streaks in the year as our limited talent works together for a limited streak. The talent is just not high enough to sustain success. I like our guys,just don't  love the talent. Every night you just have to look at the line up sheet and compare to the opponents and the outcome is pretty well defined. 

This. I think you got it Slap. I didn't want to say it when we were rolling, but this is exactly what I feared. I bet if one looked into it, almost every team in the NHL goes on at least one run, even the bottom dwellers. I wondered as well if we had the kind of talent that can win some of the down games. We do not. 

The quote that we were one of the hardest working teams in the NHL cuts both ways. The minute that level of effort falls off, even a little, we get outclassed by a lower rung team (Ottawa is #28 in goal differential). 

Until we add at least one more creative forward who can drive offense. We will most likely be up and down and closing down at 9 point deficit at this point in the season is next to impossible, but is impossible for an up and down team.

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, slapshot02 said:

Mrazek was getting shelled. Very few blocked shots by our guys,plenty by the opponent. We had trouble clearing the puck out of our end. Mrazek made some very nice saves. Very easily could of been 9 goals.

This again. Mrazek kept us in it for a pretty nice stretch. Two things happened. First, a horridly flat game where we needed a bounceback game, second as we pinched to try to create offense, with a flat team at that, Ottawa counter-attacked leading to grade A chances. 

I am not sold on Mrazek at all, but this game was in no way on him. BTW I think Brindy didn't put Ned in there because he didn't want to subject the kid to that sort of barrage and kill his confidence.

• Like 1

29 minutes ago, top-shelf-1 said:

Wow, you're a lot more generous than me!

Good point. A lot more than two things happened. Just about an entire team's worth happened (or didn't happen).

• Like 1

54 minutes ago, top-shelf-1 said:

Yeah, well. Whatever "wishy wishy pantomimed diatribe" BP uttered to his team last night worked: It came back from a 3-2 deficit early in the third to win going away, 6-4, at home, against a team (DET) it was supposed to beat. Which this team still struggles to do--or in the case of last night, didn't even appear willing to struggle to try to do.

Maybe he(BP) performs better when his team is actually winning, than losing?

58 minutes ago, WilmingtonCaniac said:

One positive (perhaps the only one) - Svech with no stick infractions.

Props for somehow finding a silver lining in that mess, bra.

Anyone notice that Nilsson's mask still has Vancouver colors?  Props to Canes equipment staff for getting McElhinney's taped up in Canes red as quickly as they did when we first picked him up.

Edited by LakeLivin

1 hour ago, WilmingtonCaniac said:

Then that was the jinx that did us in?

• Like 1

1 hour ago, WilmingtonCaniac said:

IMO RB is babying him. He is accepting his mistakes as a learning curve,which is fine but if you aren't learning it's time to sit. RB shouldn't be worried about bruising his ego. Time for the kid to grow up,he's not that fragile.