The Official Site of the Carolina Hurricanes
Sign in to follow this  
legend-1

TT re-signed five years, 27 million

Solid signing.  5.4 is right in the middle of what I thought his reasonable range would be.  

If he can stay aggressive with a shot, this deal could be very good for us.

NICE! That is a fair deal with a guy who has upside that could make it a steal. I'd go so far as to say this may soon look like a steal. Considering Ferland is looking for that or more. TT has more upside and already produces at a 65-70 point range. And because it's my post and it gives me a nice sense of things, TT leads the team in +/- too at +15 on the year.

This is really good. He is worth more.

Probably helps with Aho since Aho likes playing with TT. 

And finally, combined with the NN for Rask brilliance, the committee is on a bit of a roll. 

The Canes have always behaved like a small market team, and in that respect have to spend wisely.  Being able to dump Rask's contract, even while adding $ in terms of Nino's, was still money well spent.  Locking down TT at this number seems like a fair deal for both.  In a perfect world they could throw Darling's contract in with either Hamilton or Faulk in order to shed more salary and bring in youthful offensive talent.  

I think this establishes a bottom line to any Ferland deal. Many of you may disagree with this, but IMO Ferland may be worth more to the Canes than TT.  Obviously they are going to shell out the most money they have ever spent to extend Aho, so this should be interesting.

Edited by beboplar

I think it doesn't look good for Ferland if the numbers reported on his ask are accurate. He may have to drop a little if he wants to stay in Carolina which is reported as his preference. Wanting more than Turbo money is a tough ask.

• Like 1

Hopefully TT steps it up.  We need to pay goal scorers, not to impressed with his 10goals so far this year.  His assists are up which is nice but for 5.4 a year I would hope for over 20 goals per season.  Earn your $ TT and score some goals!  

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, slapshot02 said:

I think it doesn't look good for Ferland if the numbers reported on his ask are accurate. He may have to drop a little if he wants to stay in Carolina which is reported as his preference. Wanting more than Turbo money is a tough ask.

I think it has been established this season that the addition of physical players like Ferland and Martinook, and maybe Nino, is the direction the leadership of the team is favoring.  I happen to agree with them.  They already let go of a finesse player (Lindholm) who is having a career season, so if $5.4 is the number for TT (who would probably sit behind Lindholm in a depth chart), then I think you have to pay that for Ferland, and should.  Shed the Hamilton and Faulk numbers, try to shed the Darling number (good luck), maybe even shed the Staal contract, with his permission, and you are down to decent sized deals to Slavin, TT, Pesce, Haan, Nino, and adding Aho and Ferland.  Most of their other players (except Williams in his expiring deal) are young and inexpensive.

18 minutes ago, Danimal38 said:

Hopefully TT steps it up.  We need to pay goal scorers, not to impressed with his 10goals so far this year.  His assists are up which is nice but for 5.4 a year I would hope for over 20 goals per season.  Earn your $ TT and score some goals!  

There is no doubt we need goals but we should take into account the TT is second in point production on the team.

• Like 3

18 minutes ago, OBXer said:

There is no doubt we need goals but we should take into account the TT is second in point production on the team.

Yeah TT has already stepped it up. His point production has risen every year. 42 points two years ago, 64 points last year and will get close to 70 this year. I also wish he would shoot more as he has a good shot but his first thought is pass to his line mates. I would like to see a more even split on his point production as he can do both. This deal is already a steal. Ferland adds a great deal to this team and I love the guy but if I am the GM I have a hard time offering more than Turbo money for a guy over the last three years at 25,41 and maybe 50 points this year clip. Yes Ferland has the intangibles but it's not worth more than Turbo in the Canes world and budget. He could get more and probably will on the UFA market but if he wants to stay here he's 4.5 to 4.9 at best money.

• Like 1

The rumor and conversation with Ferland makes it sound like term is valued over amount by this player? Slap, would you consider that? Could be an albatross I agree, but this player is more a "facilitator" to allow his scoring teammates some peace of mind?

Fair deal.  I am hoping they keep the FAT like under 20 M total AAV.  This gives them 14.6 for Ferland and Aho.  I think we have a chance to hit that number. 6M for ferland and 8M for Aho.  puts us at 19.4...

Also, loving the Lindholm comparison.  Turbo doesn't disappear for 20 games at a time. Glad to see Lindy doing well in CAL (except tomorrow night), but Turbo is more consistent over the past 2-3 years.

• Like 1

47 minutes ago, slapshot02 said:

Yeah TT has already stepped it up. His point production has risen every year. 42 points two years ago, 64 points last year and will get close to 70 this year. I also wish he would shoot more as he has a good shot but his first thought is pass to his line mates. I would like to see a more even split on his point production as he can do both. This deal is already a steal. Ferland adds a great deal to this team and I love the guy but if I am the GM I have a hard time offering more than Turbo money for a guy over the last three years at 25,41 and maybe 50 points this year clip. Yes Ferland has the intangibles but it's not worth more than Turbo in the Canes world and budget. He could get more and probably will on the UFA market but if he wants to stay here he's 4.5 to 4.9 at best money.

Ferland's points are a bonus, 50 would be huge and 40 would suffice.  The ice space that he hopefully develops for his line mates, whether be Aho and TT, or possible Necas and Svech in the future, it LARGE.  Without a complimentary guy like him on their lines, they will not be nearly as productive.  

• Like 2

3 minutes ago, ironman87 said:

Fair deal.  I am hoping they keep the FAT like under 20 M total AAV.  This gives them 14.6 for Ferland and Aho.  I think we have a chance to hit that number. 6M for ferland and 8M for Aho.  puts us at 19.4...

Also, loving the Lindholm comparison.  Turbo doesn't disappear for 20 games at a time. Glad to see Lindy doing well in CAL (except tomorrow night), but Turbo is more consistent over the past 2-3 years.

I don't live back there and don't get to see them play much, but I am quite surprised to read the comment about Lindholm.  He was asked to wear several hats in Carolina, moving back and forth between RW and C, playing specialty teams and on multiple regular lines.  I think the explosion you see out him this year is from playing a regular role with the same line mates.  I don't think at any time of their respective careers, and this is no slight to TT, I would have taken TT over Lindholm.  To boot, Lindy is a RH shooter, of which this team hosts exactly 1 forward, Justin Williams.

• Like 1

53 minutes ago, KJUNKANE said:

The rumor and conversation with Ferland makes it sound like term is valued over amount by this player? Slap, would you consider that? Could be an albatross I agree, but this player is more a "facilitator" to allow his scoring teammates some peace of mind?

It could be and I haven't seen what he is requesting. He's 26 and if he is asking for a 4 or 5 year deal at 4.5 to 4.9 mil then I would do it. I'm good at spending other peoples money.  If he wants term and $ over Turbo money that's a tough sell. The Canes are probably gun shy about longer term contracts on a guy who hasn't shown a sustained point production 25/41 points the last two years at his age. He does offer the toughness and is where some of his requesting $'s come in to play but the Canes may of learned from the Rask contract based on limited production. 

Edited by slapshot02

The committee has a pulse and the checkbook has opened.  Still a considerable distance to go, but that's 2 great moves in less than a week (probably 3, actually, what with the Canes not reclaiming PDG).  After 10 years of futility, all of this really needs to come together one year, but these are positive steps.

• Like 3

1 hour ago, beboplar said:

I think it has been established this season that the addition of physical players like Ferland and Martinook, and maybe Nino, is the direction the leadership of the team is favoring.  I happen to agree with them.  They already let go of a finesse player (Lindholm) who is having a career season, so if $5.4 is the number for TT (who would probably sit behind Lindholm in a depth chart), then I think you have to pay that for Ferland, and should.  Shed the Hamilton and Faulk numbers, try to shed the Darling number (good luck), maybe even shed the Staal contract, with his permission, and you are down to decent sized deals to Slavin, TT, Pesce, Haan, Nino, and adding Aho and Ferland.  Most of their other players (except Williams in his expiring deal) are young and inexpensive.

Don't get me wrong, I love Ferland and the increase in toughness overall on the team. Ferland does make his line mates better and it is proven from a stat perspective. I'm just looking at it from a GM perspective that his stats and sustained performance do not merit a pay raise and term over TT. Another note is that he is two years older than TT and there is signs of injuries that may be of some concern. He had a shoulder injury last year and concussion issue this year. His style of play leads to more possibility of injury. I hope they resign him but a 5 year deal over 5.2 mil is a tough ask. I have no doubt he may get it in the UFA market but to the Canes it may not go through. Supposedly the committee has a list of 12 players they wanted to consider and I wish I was privy to that list as it may come into play on who their next target may be and how much they can afford on Ferland.

2 hours ago, slapshot02 said:

Disagree. He does everything Turbo does and is more than happy to throw down. He might not do what TT does as gorgeously, but he gets the puck in the net and to guys who are in position to put it there just as effectively.

Edited by top-shelf-1

4 minutes ago, top-shelf-1 said:

Disagree. He does everything Turbo does and is more than happy to throw down. He might not do what TT does as gorgeously, but he gets the puck in the net and to guys who are in position to put it there just as effectively.

That's cool but his career stats to date do not match TT. He has numerous intangibles that increase his value and raise his line mates play but my GM hat is raising questions. I'll be more than happy if they sign him at or above TT, just think the committee may have some issues.