Sign in to follow this  
LakeLivin

What's the most the Canes should pay Ferland?

What's the most the Canes should pay Ferland?  

46 members have voted

1. 1. What's the max Canes should pay Ferland? Assume AAV for 6 years.

I think it's safe to say that everyone here would like us to retain Ferland.  But reports are that he and Canes remain far apart in negotiations.  What's the most YOU think the Canes should pay the man?  Assume a 6 year contract and no NTC clause (hopefully we're done with those for a while).

Notes:

• Ferland turns 27 in 3 months.
  • Turbo just signed a 5 year deal at an AAV of $5.4m per. 
  • Your vote will be public.

We aren’t the Washington Capitols. We cannot afford to over pay to the tune of 6m+ for someone like Ferland. Love the player, the style, the intangibles. But it is not worth handcuffing the rest of the team financially to keep a fan favorite. If Ferland truly wants to stick around he knows he’s going to have to give up his UFA payday. I see us trading him and at this point, ESPECIALLY with TT’s extension cap hit at 5.4m, I want to. If we pay Ferland obscene money then we are only screwing ourselves over. We cannot afford to overpay for Ferland. I don’t care how good he is or who was dealt to acquire him. Ferland has done absolutely nothing to substantiate such a massive raise in pay. 4.5m at the MOST. The other part is term, you sign Ferland to a 5 year 6m per deal, his style of play puts him in higher risk for injury. He’s already had a couple concussions. Then you’re feeling like Edmonton and how they love having Milan Lucic and his albatross contract. Or remember that guy David Clarkson? Take your emotions out of the decision and it seems pretty clear, no one on this roster aside from Slavin and Aho are worth 6m+. And Slavin is under that. If Ferland believes he’s worth 6.7m/per, that’s wonderful, take your gigantic ego with you on your way out.

Edited by SuckaPunchd
  • Like 2

14 minutes ago, SuckaPunchd said:

Ferland has done absolutely nothing to substantiate such a massive raise in pay. .... If Ferland believes he’s worth 6.7m/per, that’s wonderful, take your gigantic ego with you on your way out.

Well said, I agree.

• Like 3

Looking at CapFriendly, we are currently last in the league for salary cap at just over $64mil. Current cap space is just over $38mil. 

Our defensive core are locked up. We have $27.6mil tied up on our defense and $21.9mil on offense.

I've projected hypothetical bumps in pay for players who are UFAs/RFAs/

UFAs

Justin Williams - Projected Cap hit next season $3-4mil.

Jordan Martinook - Projected Cap hit next season $2mil.

Michael Ferland - Projected Cap hit next season $6mil.

Greg McKegg - Projected Cap hit next season $800k.

Curtis McElhinney - Unknown, don't know if we would keep him after this season due to age.

Petr Mrazek - Projected Cap hit next season $2-3mil.

RFAs

Saku Maenalanen - Projected Cap hit next season $1mil.

Sebastian Aho - Projected Cap hit next season $9mil.

Brock McGinn - Projected Cap hit next season $1mil.

Haydn Fleury - Projected Cap hit next season $1mil.

Alex Nedeljkovic - Projected Cap hit next season $1mil.

If we keep/re-sign everyone would only use approximately $27-28mil and would still leave the team with around $10mil in cap space to add if necessary, so paying Ferland what he maybe looking for would not tie the team's hands, especially if they do not bring back Williams.

Edited by hopper915

We can offer term to Ferland like 6 years x 4/4.5 mil. He will be 33 at the end but with cap increasing each year I don't think 4 mil in 2024-2025 would be a big deal.

Just now, hopper915 said:

Looking at CapFriendly, we are currently last in the league for salary cap at just over $64mil. Current cap space is just over $38mil. 

Our defensive core are locked up. We have $27.6mil tied up on our defense and $21.9mil on offense.

I've projected hypothetical bumps in pay for players who are UFAs/RFAs/

UFAs

Justin Williams - Projected Cap hit next season $3-4mil.

Jordan Martinook - Projected Cap hit next season $2mil.

Michael Ferland - Projected Cap hit next season $6mil.

Greg McKegg - Projected Cap hit next season $800k.

Curtis McElhinney - Unknown, don't know if we would keep him after this season due to age.

Petr Mrazek - Projected Cap hit next season $2-3mil.

RFAs

Saku Maenalanen - Projected Cap hit next season $1mil.

Sebastian Aho - Projected Cap hit next season $9mil.

Brock McGinn - Projected Cap hit next season $1mil.

Haydn Fleury - Projected Cap hit next season $1mil.

Alex Nedeljkovic - Projected Cap hit next season $1mil.

If we keep/re-sign everyone would only use approximately $27-28mil and would still leave the team with around $10mil in cap space to add if necessary, so paying Ferland what he maybe looking for would not tie the team's hands, especially if they do not bring back Williams.

This would be true if we didn’t have a self imposed cap. We aren’t spending up to the cap any time soon, we never have. While we have the most space right now, 10m away from the league cap ceiling might be 5m over our self imposed budget. Ferland getting whatever he wants also affects every other contract you negotiate in the offseason. No one player on this roster is worth paying whatever they want besides the two I’ve mentioned before (Slavin, Aho). How can you expect any player to ever take a smaller payout to stick around after you hand Ferland whatever he wants because the fans like him so much and he’s a tough cookie. I’m also basing most of my opinion on TD’s idea that you have to earn what you get. Ferland hasn’t earned anywhere even close to 6m/per. TD isn’t going to pay they guy because fans are pressuring him or the guy himself thinks he’s worth a certain amount. This is why we are diving head first into another lock out. Who here thinks Tom Wilson is worth 6.4m per year? Look at Wayne Simmonds. He makes just under 4m/per. He’s the kind of guy I liken to Ferland over Wilson (Who is a goon and doesn’t really have all that much skill in comparison to Simmonds/Ferland). And that is a reasonable contract. And again, TT is getting paid 5.4m per. Ferland is NOT worth more than TT in any capacity. If we were going to sign him for 6m per though, we would have extended Ferland a long time ago. I don’t see it happening.

• Like 3

I don't know that it's definitely the top, but i said $5.5M (AAV for 5 years instead of 6, however).  AFAIC negotiations now start over again at $5.4M for 5 years, more front-loaded though because with the way Ferland plays, i think he has a shorter shelf-life.  Ferland, prove to me you're worth more than a kid 2 years younger than you who not only scores more goals than you, but also has consistently ended the season with even more assists, something you've only done once since hitting the NHL.  Meanwhile, Canes, prove to me Ferland isn't worth more than a smaller kid who doesn't hit and doesn't have the goods to stand up for teammates while still being able to have just as many 20-goal seasons.

The Canes need both.  I wouldn't say $5.4M is necessarily the number, but it certainly would be my target right now.  If the Canes are offering $4M, Ferland needs to find someone who sees a little more value in what he brings.  If Ferland is truly asking $6.7M (was that a sourced number or just a speculative number thrown out?) out, then best of luck to you, bud.

It was a speculated number I’m sure, as most articles I read about these negotiations are either two sentences long and tell you what you already know or they are two pages long and full of speculation and career comparing. I wouldn’t be as worried if we signed Ferland to the exact same contract. But suggesting he makes more than TT is crazy to me. Yes, both have their pros and cons, but TT is younger, statistically better, and has a way higher ceiling than Ferland. The intangibles Ferland brings is the reason why the lowest suggested pay rate for him here is 4m per, which is more than twice his cap hit now. Other than that, how you can justify paying him about three and a half times more because he had one single 40 pt season and can beat someone when needed is beyond me. And the idea Ferland is the reason why Aho is scoring more is delusional. Sure, he helps, like he should, but he’s been much less impressive statistically since his concussion. (I’m looking at you, Tripp Tracey)

Edited by SuckaPunchd
  • Like 1

I’ve made my love for Ferland known, having said that, I can’t decide between 5 and 5.5. 

TT is younger, has produced more,  and has done it more consistently. Ferland brings the intangibles but only over a short time has he produced and only with top line players. They make him better, but I also believe he makes them better. Ferland has injury concerns, and this is really a big one for me. With his style of play he is likely going to miss games, and I hate when guys are in and out of the lineup. 

Part of me says we need to think with our heads. Part of me is sick of losing players that come here and we need all of the proven NHL players we can get since we consistently have fringe players in the lineup.

Yes, we could put the money elsewhere, but how often does that work? How much confidence do you have that we can allocate those finances towards something better?

If we trade him for picks...well...I’m done with picks and prospects.

I would also be a bit hesitant to go six years. If we do that, then 5 per is absolutely reasonable. If we go 3 or 4, then 5.5 becomes more palatable. I don’t want to lose him over 500k per year but you have to draw the line somewhere.

This is really a tough one, so much to consider. 

As a final note, I reluctantly have to agree with someone who astutely pointed out that Ferland could just be saying all the right things, but he reallly has no desire to stay here. If that’s the case, I hope he’s honest about it and the fans are made aware of it somehow.

Sorry for the long post.

• Like 1

I am sick and tired of paying players that might turn out good I would like to instead pay a player that has already proven that he's good for a change.

We have done enough with the reclamation projects let's just pay the guy who's actually meshed well with the team for once.

The big guy it's a simple caveman. We know what we're getting with this guy, pay the man his money.

I said 5.5 but I would literally give him the same contract as TT.

I'd definitely prefer a shorter term (3 or 4 years would be ideal imo), but I made the term 6 years because at 27yo I figure this will be Ferland's last shot at a big payday and therefore he's going to want as much term as he can get.  And I thought that 6 years might be an incentive that the Canes could offer that would lower his AAV request. 

I chose $5m, which I consider a slight over payment.  I might go a bit more than that if I could shorten the term.  I just don't see how the Canes can pay Ferland more than Turbo ($5.4 m ) and Slavin ($5.3 m).  The committee needs to get deals done, but they also need to be responsible or it will bite them in the, er, hind end over time. 

My initial response would be 4.5 for 4 years as being appropriate as it Will bring him up to 30 years old. 5 mil for 5 years is a little much but I'd  due it as 500k isnt that much. If he's asking for something like 6x6,good luck.

• Like 1

10 minutes ago, coastal_caniac said:

I would have hung up the phone at 6 years.  Voted anyway.

Close enough.  Tough to nail down specifics using just a few poll categories, but I think this gives us a general idea as to where people stand.

4 minutes ago, LakeLivin said:

Close enough.  Tough to nail down specifics using just a few poll categories, but I think this gives us a general idea as to where people stand.

Absolutely, not being critical.  We can still vote on AAV and have a discussion.

I would also wager the Turbo deal was a great move by the committee to suggest the Canes are willing to sign reasonable/cheap long-term deals.  Also thanks to Turbo to get this thing real again with Ferland, seeing as how he signed in-season, and IMO, for a bit of a discount. 

Good poll.

Edited by coastal_caniac
  • Like 1

It's going to be interesting to see how it plays out. The committee made a good move getting NN and signing TT. I think TT was a little discount and signaled a salary and term range. NN also serves as an insurance policy but I think it also put them in a pickle. TT AND NN in the range of 5.2 to 5.4 raises the bar for Ferland. One can argue that Ferland deserves NN $'s or more. As others have mentioned perhaps the term is the bigger issue.

I would vote for $5M if the term is 6 years, but I am not crazy about the length of that term and would prefer to offer $5.5 for 4, and consider going 5 years.  How do that make that a responsible amount without breaking the bank?  Compared to this year:

TT's extension: +2.54M

Trade Hamilton: (5.75M)

Trade Faulk: (4.83M)

Trade Rask: (4M)

Add NN: +5.25M

Don't resign JW: (4.5M)

Ferland: Current 1.75 growing to 5.5, +3.75M

Aho: Current .925 growing to 8, +7.075M

Martinook: Current 1.8 growing to 2.5, +.65M

All of the above changes net out to +0.185M.  Basically a wash, with Aho getting $8M and Ferland $5.5M.  That does not even consider possibly getting someone to partially eat Darling's deal in a package with either Hamilton or Faulk.

23 minutes ago, beboplar said:

Don't resign JW: (4.5M)

YGTBSM...his locker room value and on-ice value is worth it...and he’s still putting up numbers.  

Give him 1 or 2-year contracts at 3-3.5M and don’t look back

Edited by AWACSooner

5 minutes ago, AWACSooner said:

YGTBSM...his locker room value and on-ice value is worth it...and he’s still putting up numbers.  

Give him 1 or 2-year contracts at 3-3.5M and don’t look back

I like him too, but small market franchises have to set priorities, and favoring a 37 year old when considering what it will take to afford a 26 year old is a no brainer.

Edited by beboplar

We all see things different, imo J.Wms and J.Staal need to be moved.. This is Slavin and Aho's team now..

Edited by PamlicoPuck

It’s too easy for me to see failure to sign Ferland as a sign that the Lindholm trade was a boondoggle. That said, we need to look forward, not backward. Ferland’s worth has nothing to do with what we gave up to acquire him. I think NN was brought in as insurance if Ferland goes. If they both stay, that’s a bonus. I say Ferland at 5 years max, maybe $5 million or a little more. I don’t want to admit it, but this year is shot. We need to look to the future in whatever we do with Ferland. If we can’t sign him, I hope the return is a roster forward or an A forward prospect ready to contribute next year. Picks that might help in 3 years are not what this team needs.

30 minutes ago, bluedevilcane said:

I don’t want to admit it, but this year is shot. We need to look to the future in whatever we do with Ferland. If we can’t sign him, I hope the return is a roster forward or an A forward prospect ready to contribute next year. Picks that might help in 3 years are not what this team needs.

That roster player would likely also be an FA, I think a 1st or 2nd rounder is what will happen though. However, it'd be really go a long way if somehow getting ourselves the rights to talk to the best goalie available to resolve these goaltending issues could go a long way in getting the fans over Ferland.