The Official Site of the Carolina Hurricanes
AWACSooner

Our annual western Canadian road nightmare (game 2)...Canes @ Flames...22 Jan 2019

Image result for bill peters kinetico  

vs  

Scotiabank Saddledome, Calgary...22 Jan, 2019...7 pm MST

This GDT is brought to you live from:

(OK, so you can see my hotel in the top center of the picture...the one with the spire.)

Wait a minute, what in the hell am I doing in Saskatchewan?  Well, given that we have a day between games, we headed east a bit to pay respects to the grave of Mr. Hockey, who is interred with his wife inside his statue outside of the Sask-Tel Centre in this city.  But I digress...

Well, here we are...the moment of truth as to whether we still have a prayer, or if we should just throw in the towel.  Up against the top team in the West...and if any of y'all have watched them like I have on Center Ice (or NHL TV), you'll know they have 19 different ways to completely and utterly obliterate you (and they have Sam Bennett, who's 'stache would make Lanny McDonald blush with pride).

They also have Harvey the Hound:

Frankly guys, we're gonna have to play as close to a perfect game as possible to beat these guys, or else it'll probably get ugly in a hurry.  In the event that we're down bad, I sincerely hope this is Rod's speech to the boys in the 2nd intermission (maybe NSFW...if y'all are easily offended):

See y'all from the Saddledome tomorrow!

Edited by AWACSooner
  • Like 2

Great GDT AWACS, wish I was there at the game also? Just a brief thought I've been mulling over. Could we have a little edge in this game based on Rod's knowledge of how his mentor (BP) for 2-3 years schemed a game, or is that just wishful dreaming? Oh well, I'm trying to stay positive.

18 minutes ago, KJUNKANE said:

Great GDT AWACS, wish I was there at the game also? Just a brief thought I've been mulling over. Could we have a little edge in this game based on Rod's knowledge of how his mentor (BP) for 2-3 years schemed a game, or is that just wishful dreaming? Oh well, I'm trying to stay positive.

Or BP teaching Rod everything he knows...door swings both ways

5 minutes ago, AWACSooner said:

Or BP teaching Rod everything he knows...door swings both ways

Not quite AWACS, Brand'Amour was "fully formed" before he and BP united, his instincts coming from actual on ice experience?

I'm sure both Brindy and Peters want the bragging rights in this game but I doubt the game will be won or lost on the bench. The Flames are a better team and for me that means every Canes player will need to step up. If we win it will be through determination not tactics.

• Like 2

it will be interesting to see how motivated each team will be tonight. 

We have more guys in the fight of proving to the other coach/organization but they have Johnny Hockey.  

Ryan, Lindy, Hanifin, and Peters vs Ferland, Hamilton, Turbo, Aho, Williams, McGinn, Slavin, Pesce, TVR, and Brindy.

Just shows you how many new players for Carolina that arent as vested in the game as the others.  Maenalenan, Svech, M&M, Wallmark, Martinook, de Haan, Nino, Foegele and McKegg

disclaimer: I am not saying those 10 dont care about the game.

I have an odd feeling we will get murdered in the circle again and it will be a long game for us.  

1 hour ago, KJUNKANE said:

Not quite AWACS, Brand'Amour was "fully formed" before he and BP united, his instincts coming from actual on ice experience?

Valid point

43 minutes ago, top-shelf-1 said:

The Canes win this one going away. Book it.

God I hope so...it’ll make the nap I’ll have to take tonight before catching a 0730 flight to Vancouver more bearable.

So do we see....

Nino-Aho-Williams

Ferland-Wallmark-Turbo

SMM

FMM

If so, I assume we will see Peters try to exploit the Svech or Maenalenan line's with Johnny Hockey.  

Edited by gocanes0506

From Chip from the other side:

#Flames lines:

Gaudreau-Monahan-Lindholm

Frolik-Backlund-Neal

Tkachuk-Jankowski-Bennett

Hathaway-Ryan-Mangiapane

Pairings:

Giordano-Brodie

Hanifin-Hamonic

Kylington-Andersson

David Rittich in the starter's net

Obviously have to shut down that top line. Gaudreau is a legit candidate for the Hart trophy. Tkachuk on the third line is over a point per game and physical. On paper they have the talent. 

This is IMO a let down trap. Great effort in Edmonton, but frankly they were pretty flat, could lead to a let down here against an elite team. That said, these guys have a way of surprising. No one is more stacked than Tampa, and we came oh so close there. 

This would be a very nice win.

Big Rigg Mike said Ferland was out for the morning skate but McGinn and Martinook were not.

To no surprise Mrazek in the starters crease

Edited by gocanes0506

Just now, gocanes0506 said:

Big Rigg Mike said Ferland was out for the morning skate but McGinn and Martinook were not.

Cold and flu season

15 minutes ago, AWACSooner said:

Cold and flu season

I hope so, instead of lingering concussion symptom season. :o

Edited by LakeLivin

31 minutes ago, gocanes0506 said:

To no surprise Mrazek in the starters crease

Do we have enough forwards? 

It will be interesting to see if Ned gets a shot in the B2B tomorrow. Seems pretty possible.

9 minutes ago, remkin said:

It will be interesting to see if Ned gets a shot in the B2B tomorrow. Seems pretty possible.

Darling sucks, there's still some uncertainty over Mrazek, and McElhinney is 90.  At some point you have to give the kid a shot and see if he's even an option for next season.

10 minutes ago, remkin said:

I dont think so.  We played Fleury last night because Ferland wasnt able to go.

We may go a 7th defender again and then have one of McGinn/Martinook dress but play very little.

I'd love to see Ned tonight. Like Legend said, before Edmonton, maybe it commits the D and everyone else a little more fully. And you know the kid will be pumped.

• Like 1

41 minutes ago, top-shelf-1 said:

I'd love to see Ned tonight. Like Legend said, before Edmonton, maybe it commits the D and everyone else a little more fully. And you know the kid will be pumped.

I would like to see Ned tonight myself, if he gets blasted its a "Dont worry kid they are the best team in the west" and it leaves Mrazek against the Nucks and a better chance for a team win. 

BTW Im hurt you didnt comment on my Big Lebowski quote in the other thread😋

• Like 1

I think this is the best guess at lines

projected lineup for the Hurricanes.

Forwards

Niederreiter-Aho-Williams
Ferland-Wallmark-Teravainen
Svechnikov-Martinook-McGinn
Foegele-McKegg-Maenalanen

Defense

Slavin-Hamilton
Pesce-Faulk