The Official Site of the Carolina Hurricanes
AWACSooner

Our Annual Western Canadian Road Nightmare (Game 3)...Canes @ Canucks...23 Jan 2019

Canes @ Canucks...23 Jan, 2019

7:30 pm PST

Well boys, I’m in an Uber back to the hotel from the game and I’ve got a 0730 flight to Vancouver, so I’ll get this going.

Ned should get the net as we attempt to win in a place we haven’t won in since the Lincoln administration.

At this point, I’m pretty sure playoffs aren’t happening, so I’ll just sit back and enjoy what’s left...because it just doesnt matter...

Win tonight and we are still in the conversation, lose and it is a very different dialogue.

20 minutes ago, OBXer said:

Win tonight and we are still in the conversation, lose and it is a very different dialogue.

We get to see eventual Calder Trophy winner Elias Pettersson...and, in spite of talent in net and blue line, they’re still in contention.

11 minutes ago, AWACSooner said:

We get to see eventual Calder Trophy winner Elias Pettersson...and, in spite of talent in net and blue line, they’re still in contention.

You should get another good game. I wonder if you get to see NED tonight

1 hour ago, OBXer said:

You should get another good game. I wonder if you get to see NED tonight

If Rod starts Sneaky Pete again tonight...what does that say about his confidence in our goaltending depth?

I don't have confidence in our goaltending depth. Ned has a great record, and for those that think that means he makes timely saves or maybe manages the puck or something, then good, but I just think a guy need to be further above .900 save percentage in the AHL before being ready for the NHL.

That said, sometimes new goalies can win some games in part because there is no book on them. 

In the end though, we have 8 days off after this one, and this is a big game, so I'd lean to seeing Mrazek again. 

23 minutes ago, AWACSooner said:

If Rod starts Sneaky Pete again tonight...what does that say about his confidence in our goaltending depth?

I don't know what it says. Brindy seems to like the proven over the unknown. He favors veteran players or so it seems. Mrazek has played well enough and back to backs are tough but doable, At some point I would think we would want to see NED but maybe not tonight. The dream is still alive, barely but alive. We need the two points.

5 minutes ago, OBXer said:

I don't know what it says. Brindy seems to like the proven over the unknown. He favors veteran players or so it seems. Mrazek has played well enough and back to backs are tough but doable, At some point I would think we would want to see NED but maybe not tonight. The dream is still alive, barely but alive. We need the two points.

True, but at some point we have to start preparing for the future in net...who knows, he could be another David Rittich

Just now, AWACSooner said:

True, but at some point we have to start preparing for the future in net...who knows, he could be another David Rittich

Oh I agree. I'm just not sure tonight will be the night. It could be but my guess is still Mrazek

11 hours ago, AWACSooner said:

Ned should get the net as we attempt to win in a place we haven’t won in since the Lincoln administration.

So, when does the lineup come out? I get the argument of using Ned in goal, but I'm not convinced he is ready and I'm just not ready to throw in the towel just yet? While discussing the lineups, I guess that since we've seen no release yet, there's no call ups from Charlotte, and nothing so far on Ferland, correct?

If Ferland's thing has anything to do with concussion, shut him down. Maybe do it anyways. 8 days off after this one.

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, KJUNKANE said:

So, when does the lineup come out? I get the argument of using Ned in goal, but I'm not convinced he is ready and I'm just not ready to throw in the towel just yet? While discussing the lineups, I guess that since we've seen no release yet, there's no call ups from Charlotte, and nothing so far on Ferland, correct?

It’s 9 am here in Vancouver...they’re probably just waking up and getting to the arena for the pre-game...

4 minutes ago, KJUNKANE said:

So, when does the lineup come out?

With the back to back I'm not sure we will know until around game time. Maybe we will get a clue this afternoon

29 minutes ago, OBXer said:

1999...might as well be the Lincoln administration

• Like 1

I can see either goalie going but I lean towards we'll see Mrazek. Unlike a true starter Mrazek's only played half the games this season, his body should be more than ready for a string of games including back to backs.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, AWACSooner said:

Not one thing. I want to see Ned too, but Mrazek earned a win last night. I don't know if he got one of the stars (If only I knew someone who attended... hmmm...) but he should have. That's a 6-2 loss without him last night. Hard not to send him out, as a coach, and order the team to give him some freakin' support.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, AWACSooner said:

It’s 9 am here in Vancouver...they’re probably just waking up and getting to the arena for the pre-game...

Love that town, and the flight over from YYC is amazing.

• Like 1

51 minutes ago

No morning skate for the today in Vancouver. Micheal Ferland left last night's game with an upper-body injury. If he can't go, Haydn Fleury figures to draw in as the seventh defenseman.

I guess we will know who is in goal and if Ferland goes by warmups.

6 hours ago, AWACSooner said:

We get to see eventual Calder Trophy winner Elias Pettersson

I remember Svech scored GWG while pushing that boy down and away ;)

Yeah, Mrazek with 3rd star, and very well deserved.  I lost count of how many highlight reel saves he had.  I'm up in the air on him or Ned in goal tonight.  Critical game, so I'd tend to go with Mrazek.  But last night even though the shot count wasn't high, it seemed like Mrazek worked way harder than the typical game.  So not sure what to expect from him one night later.  I guess that's why Rod gets the big bucks.

Edited by LakeLivin

1 hour ago, top-shelf-1 said:

Not one thing. I want to see Ned too, but Mrazek earned a win last night. I don't know if he got one of the stars (If only I knew someone who attended... hmmm...) but he should have. That's a 6-2 loss without him last night. Hard not to send him out, as a coach, and order the team to give him some freakin' support.

3rd star