The Official Site of the Carolina Hurricanes
AWACSooner

Our Annual Western Canadian Road Nightmare (Game 3)...Canes @ Canucks...23 Jan 2019

The thing that kills me is all of the obvious embellishments I've seen get the matching penalty. This makes me think that to only call the embellishment should be egregious. Like MLS egregious. Whatever that was, it wasn't that.

• Like 1

Yah, but that begins a slippery slope vs what’s legit vs what’s fake on the embellishment 

I'm glad he called it because of the reaction the team got, we beat the ever living ..... outta the Nucks for it. Great response frankly if not the best.

However, I've...if not we've watched hockey for a really long time. I can't recall a situation where only embellishment was called. Seems like a discussion for the comp committee and not for a ref to act on his own. I'm sure he has the authority to do it, but no one does so what was the ref ****** off enough about to do that?

My guess is he felt a few of them were diving hence the non calls and he blew his stack when he thought Williams dove.  But if he thinks they were diving, specifically I think one of our guys went flying into the boards a few minutes earlier....did he think that was a dive so he called nothing? Then got mad at what he thought was another dive?

End of the day, the team reacted properly to a subjective call and didn't turtle. Growth.

Edited by legend-1
  • Like 1

The refs blew and missed a LOT of calls last night.  I totally sympathized with the Canucks fans in the third because they’d had enough (although those misconducts were well deserved).

I don't recall all year long so many bad calls. I usually do not complain about the refs but this year is different. I think they are recruiting from the Guiding eyes for the blind.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, slapshot02 said:

I don't recall all year long so many bad calls. I usually do not complain about the refs but this year is different. I think they are recruiting from the Guiding eyes for the blind.

I actually applauded these past three games when Tim Peel’s name wasn’t announced as one of the refs.

edit:

I know the refs were saddened with the loss of Mick McGeough, and it was tragic what happened to him...but he was hands-down, IMO (and probably the opinion of a lot of Stars fans) the worst ref of his era...he and Don Vanmassenhoven routinely botched calls, especially if you were the team playing an original 6 team.

I miss Bill McCreary, Don Koharski, and Kerry Fraser!

Edited by AWACSooner
  • Like 2

Just now, AWACSooner said:

I actually applauded these past three games when Tim Peel’s name wasn’t announced as one of the refs 

Peel is very biased.

• Like 1

I think about the only place in the game for the embellishment(only) call is the faked high stick reaction when no contact is made, and we've seen a few of those but NEVER called. Adding it to the tripping call like they frequently do just makes them look highly indecisive and questioning their own judgement, which for an official is as lame as it gets. If a man is tripped enough to warrant a call, then embellishment is a NON factor, IMO.

1 minute ago, 2ndsacker said:

I think about the only place in the game for the embellishment(only) call is the faked high stick reaction when no contact is made, and we've seen a few of those but NEVER called. Adding it to the tripping call like they frequently do just makes them look highly indecisive and questioning their own judgement, which for an official is as lame as it gets. If a man is tripped enough to warrant a call, then embellishment is a NON factor, IMO.

Except then Sidney just got carte blanche to do what he did a lot before embellishment became a penalty 

I've long been a proponent for making embellishment a 1 min penalty.

1. I can't see how, say, exaggerating a high stick or trip is as egregious as the original infraction. 
  2. Except for those brief intervals when the league decides to emphasize the call (or for some reason gets pi**ed off at Willy), refs seem loathe to call it, probably because they feel similarly to me about 1.  But if it were a shorter penalty, I could see them calling players on it more frequently.

Fell asleep between the 1st and 2nd periods.  Woke up around 2:30 and was going to FF to just the goals.  Such a good game I ended up watching the rest of it, lol.

Couple thoughts:

• Had to refrain from screaming "JUST SHOOT THE FREAKING PUCK!!!"  during that 5-on-3 PP.  Except the word wasn't "freaking".  After watching a bit of that I wanted Dougie out there; better to shoot too much than not at all.
  • Loved Faulk skating down Gudbranson when he tried to go after Svech. And not only did he protect Svech, he got us a PP out of the deal.  Backing up teammates was one of the things I've been extremely critical of Faulk for not providing over the first 5 or so years I've been closely following the Canes.  Great job last night.
  • Still need to show more, but Dougie is looking like he might actually have the capability of being the d-man we thought we were getting when we gave up so much in the trade.
Edited by LakeLivin

1 hour ago, RickD_99 said:

AWACS what happened to the little angel in your avatar? Man I'm getting old! 😪

Join the club

46 minutes ago, LakeLivin said:

Loved Faulk skating down Roussel when he tried to go after Svech. 

Actually, that was Gudbranson...Roussel tried to engage Nino

Finally watched some extensive portions of the game. Loved what I saw. Nino is paying dividends. Metro race is becoming interesting again.