Sign in to follow this  
remkin

Canes at Guins, Tuesday, 7 PM, Start the Trip Right

Recap of milestones last night:

Martinook's 300th game

Martinook now has a new career high in goals scored in a season: 12

Pesce now has a new career high in goals scored in a season: 5

McE has tied his career high for wins in a season with 12

Ferland has scored more goals this 2nd of the season than he did all the second half of last season: 2

Upcoming milestones:

Aho only needs 5 points to tie his career season high in points, 5 goals to match his career high, and 1 more assist to better his career assist high in a season

Other side note:

Faulk has is a change of +28 from last season.  He is currently +2 and ended last season with a -26.

Surprised Svech didnt get a goalie interference and game misconduct for coming within a foot of the goalie on his goal.😎

• Like 3

The Buffalo game is essentially a 1 game playoff. While the team can lose some assortment of very very few games to finish off the season they absolutely can't lose to Buffalo. Is this the year they finally put destiny in their own hands?

• Like 1

11 hours ago, LakeLivin said:

If recent play is an indication of an actual shift in the team rather than a hot streak, the rest of the year is going to be a lot of fun!

That's what my post earlier was actually addressing. Every year this is the question, as nearly every bad Canes team has had games and stretches where they looked good. I am constantly wondering if there have been enough tests passed vs failed to start to make an assessment on the likelihood that what we are seeing is the real Canes. Or more importantly, the Canes that will finish out the season. 

For me, this game took away most of the rest of the doubt that the break did not disturb the way this team plays. Yes, Calgary was not ideal, but past teams flat out laid down every time we played them on those Sunday afternoon games. And for the most part, the game was still there sans some breakdowns. But no team wins 82 games. Before the break we went 9-3-1 in the previous 13 games. Past teams, and even this one early in the year, would have come back from that break and faltered. Would have dropped the first game back, then laid down vs. Calgary, then been thumped in Pittsburgh. But this team gets 4/6 points and ends up dominating Pittsburgh in their building. 

I did look at the scoreboard last night and had to say, "Really?" Every team we wanted to lose won. 5-0. Theoretically a 3% chance of that happening. 

But it always comes down to us more than them. Yes, it's tough in the East. But we just keep doing our thing and it will work out.

This team is 11-4-1 over the last 15 games and showing no signs of slowing down. It would be nice if Montreal and Boston would help out, but we just need to beat Columbus and Buffalo if they don't (or outside chance Pittsburgh). We keep playing this game and I like our chances.

33 minutes ago, remkin said:

But it always comes down to us more than them.

Exactly.  It's always nice to get outside help, but ultimately having to rely on outside help means the Canes couldn't handle their own business.  Keep winning and what everyone else does won't matter in the slightest.

• Like 2

13 hours ago, wxray1 said:

Quick, somebody put a hex on Buffalo.

Why do you want to put AWACS on Buffalo?

(editorial:  The fact that we got 5 out of 6 points on the western Canadian trip with AWACS in the building for all 3 is the clearest indicator that this team has gotten over the hump that I have ever seen)

My commentary on last night.

We haven't played a really bad game since the Ottawa game.  That is one bad game out of 7, or 2 of 8 if you want to count the Rangers game, but then you have to go back further and say the 3 before that were good games so that is really 2 bad games in 11. 

If you want to say the Calgary games were bad I take issue with that.  I will not be surprised if they are the Western Conference representative in the Stanley cup finals, and we played a tie and a 1 goal loss with them.  They are the only recent team able to consistently break our oppressive fore check with ease.  We are giving the rest of the league fits with it.

2 bad games out of 11?  We are starting to see a consistency that we haven't seen in years.  This is with a clear talent deficiency in several areas that folks like to point out regularly.  But in spite of that, we are playing a system with what looks to me like 100% buy in.  Playing as a team will overcome talent deficiency.  Brindi is doing exceptionally well from my point of view.

Scoreboard watchers, enjoy watching, but do not despair.  Math is on your side.  For every winner, there is a loser.  These guys all have to play each other, there will be as many losers as winners in the end.  Just take care of our own business and there will be falling teams.  We are +5 now.  If we have 2 bad games every 10 from here on out I like our chances very much. 

Fun fact, with the win last night SportsClubStats increased our chances of winning the cup 0.1% to 0.3%     :)

Enjoy the wins, if you didn't have fun watching that game last night, you don't have a pulse.

• Like 8

1 hour ago, hag65 said:

Why do you want to put AWACS on Buffalo?

(editorial:  The fact that we got 5 out of 6 points on the western Canadian trip with AWACS in the building for all 3 is the clearest indicator that this team has gotten over the hump that I have ever seen)

Sorry, gotta fly a sortie on Friday...but I told y’all it wasn’t me 

• Like 1

Last night was a great game for the Canes and the way we dominated them left me feeling really optimistic.

Having said that, I've got to remind myself that these Pens aren't the same team as the last 2 Cup winning Pens teams.  And that Malkin wasn't out there, which could have effected more than just his line depending on how they filled in for his absence. 

Don't get me wrong, it was a great Canes performance.  I'm just trying to balance my subconscious/ emotional response (similar feeling as if we had blown out TB or Calgary) with a more rational one (we blew out a good but perhaps no longer great team that was missing a legitimate star player). 

2 hours ago, LakeLivin said:

Last night was a great game for the Canes and the way we dominated them left me feeling really optimistic.

Having said that, I've got to remind myself that these Pens aren't the same team as the last 2 Cup winning Pens teams.  And that Malkin wasn't out there, which could have effected more than just his line depending on how they filled in for his absence. 

Don't get me wrong, it was a great Canes performance.  I'm just trying to balance my subconscious/ emotional response (similar feeling as if we had blown out TB or Calgary) with a more rational one (we blew out a good but perhaps no longer great team that was missing a legitimate star player). 

Well we're missing Jordan Staal who has a history of shutting top centers down, so there's that.

But we really beat them pretty soundly too. 

For me though, it's the last 16 games now. Add to it that Brind'Amour insists the game has been there a lot longer, just not getting consistent results until the last 16. And while we've had some, mostly we're not beating back up goalies in many of those.

I guess playing Calgary and Tampa close, 2/3 on the road, helps too.

In the last 16 games we've not shown up twice. In the 14 games we played our game, we've been in every game till the end. It just feels like if this team shows up they tend to win against all but the most elite teams, and even then keep it close. 

1 hour ago, remkin said:

Well we're missing Jordan Staal who has a history of shutting top centers down, so there's that.

But we really beat them pretty soundly too. 

For me though, it's the last 16 games now. Add to it that Brind'Amour insists the game has been there a lot longer, just not getting consistent results until the last 16. And while we've had some, mostly we're not beating back up goalies in many of those.

I guess playing Calgary and Tampa close, 2/3 on the road, helps too.

In the last 16 games we've not shown up twice. In the 14 games we played our game, we've been in every game till the end. It just feels like if this team shows up they tend to win against all but the most elite teams, and even then keep it close. 

Oh, I'm with you on all that, and my optimism has soared.  I just don't want my emotions tricking me into believing that we're now a "TB level" team.  Our margin of error is so much smaller.

13 hours ago, LakeLivin said:

Oh, I'm with you on all that, and my optimism has soared.  I just don't want my emotions tricking me into believing that we're now a "TB level" team.  Our margin of error is so much smaller.

Yeah, despite me Cherry picking in this 16 game stretch, I'm not there either. Even Tampa on it's game doesn't win every single game it shows up for. That has to cool off some. But on balance, I do think this team is hitting it's stride and has legitimately elevated it's game enough to get in. This doesn't mean they can't cool down. 

Another reassuring thing is that we have had  some injuries: Pesce, of course J Staal out for almost all of this, Ferland, even had to throw Ned in there, but have kept mostly winning.