The Official Site of the Carolina Hurricanes
surfzone365

GDT: Carolina Hurricanes Vs Buffalo Sabres, February 7, 2019 - 7:00 PM EDT

Some Sabre-Rattling of our Own!

Slavin.thumb.GIF.4f2f4265126097faf9a591909fee7385.GIF

CanesLogo.thumb.GIF.5b7e76a676b794ae416e75be9ff8de48.GIF   Vs   BuffLogo.thumb.GIF.70b78821d184a3952e22b70c49d4561b.GIF

KeyBank.jpg.e19dc2669aeb47d180394bea0434554e.jpg

7:00 PM EDT - KeyBank Center

Buffalo, NY

image.png.e88ee243dda46da956477b9cb58897b8.pngimage.thumb.png.d37487fb652bd7b88c700cd6ed268000.png

So...let's keep a good thing going why don't we??  The new-life Carolina Hurricanes (26-21-6) visit the somewhat cooled-off Buffalo Sabres (26-20-6) in a Thursday night tilt at KeyBank Center. This marks the second meeting of the season between the two clubs.  The Canes nipped the Sabres on January 11, 2019 by a 4-3 score in Raleigh.  Sebastian Aho netted two goals in the contest.  Carolina has been dominant against Buffalo in recent history, winning their last seven games between the two.

The game, for the foreseeable future, will continue to be one we make special note of.  Former Canes star Jeff Skinner, who has scored 31 goals thus far, is yet another former Raleigh skater Canes fans keep tabs on.  The Sabres started the season off red-hot, but have gradually dropped off a bit as the season has worn on.  Buffalo has lost six out of their last nine games played. A shootout 5-4 win over the Minnesota Wild on Tuesday night got the nasty taste of defeat out of their mouth, in which the Chicago Blackhawks had previously shellacked Buffalo 7-3 on their ice the game before.

Carolina responded to Sunday's frustrating 4-3 loss to Calgary in resounding fashion by blanking the Pittsburgh Penguins 4-0 in the Steel City on Tuesday night. The game was as equally shocking to Canes fans in a good way as it was to the sparse remnants of Pens fans booing their black-and-gold crew off the ice.  It was a dominant performance in most facets across the board. Curtis McElhinney stood tall by keeping all 23 shots out of the net, and earning his first shutout as a Hurricane. It is not hard to make the argument that it was one of the most satisfying responses and victories of the season.

The Canes will need to keep the same poise and focus if they want to extend their win streak over Buffalo to eight.  The Sabres may be in somewhat of a funk, but they still possess the personnel to burn you with the likes of Jack Eichel (17 goals/39 assists/56 points total), Sam Reinhart (13 goals/34 assists/47 points total), and Jason Pominville (11 goals/10 assists/21 points total).

Edited by surfzone365
  • Like 1

Since Buffalo owns the last substitution, Im sure they will avoid the Aho line when the Eichel line is up.

I am assuming they target the Martinook line. Maybe the Meanalenan line. 

The D pairing are fairly balanced so that shouldn’t be an issue.  

Make quick passes out of the D zone to prevent Skinner take aways and get to playing 5v4 hockey.

STs will be huge as well

Edited by gocanes0506

12 minutes ago, slapshot02 said:

Skins moved off of the Eichel line, must of read the BP instructions on "How to balance your scoring" thesis. 

One thing we don't talk a lot about on this board is the response that teams come back with after a catalog of film study is produced.  I heard some echoes of it early this season after the Canes' fast start, i.e. Nov-Dec were a product of teams adjusting.  (Personally, I think it was about the goalies.)

But anyway, could teams have collectively responded to Skin's start?   What does Brindy have in mind?

Another game that will test the character of our Canes. I  think they are up to the test. Weeks and the other guy on NHL Network, i think Daneyko, pick us to make one of the playoffs spots.

One would think that years of Roddy observing Skinner and what happened when he didn't play well, might give him some insight into how to slow him down. I think it has something to do with making his night hard by hitting and pushing him out from the net.

This feels huge in the sense that a win would be huge. It is far from a must win, but more of an "if they win" situation. If they win, of course, they put Buffalo two points behind us. But they also keep Buffalo's slide alive. Buffalo likely then responds vs Detroit at home, but then get WPG, NYI and a tougher schedule to finish the month out, and it could be a tipping point for them.

But mainly, it's what it would say about us. We would keep our run alive despite the hardest three games of our last remaining sustained road trip of the year and pass yet another test. 

I assume we get McE, and I like our chances anytime he starts.

2 hours ago, legend-1 said:

The guys had buffalo wings after yesterdays practice. Barbaric.

As far as they have Slugs for dinner today, I am fine. Go Canes!

8 minutes ago, OBXer said:

Make the slugs see red. The Canes will wear Red sweaters tonight.

Red vs Blue? That could look interesting. 

2 minutes ago, remkin said:

Red vs Blue? That could look interesting. 

I think the slugs are waving, I mean wearing white:whiteflag:

On 2/5/2019 at 5:29 PM, realmdrakkar said:

I'm not going to say it's over if they lose tonight, but they can only afford 1 loss on this trip and it can't be to Buffalo or the Rags.

Maniscalco - 'What's is going to take to come out of tonight's game with a win?'

Player - 'Well, Mike, we need to score more goals than they do.'

Score more goals than they do, guys.

Circumstances could certainly change between now and the end of the season, but for now i stand by this.  The Canes can only afford 1 loss on this trip and it can't be to Buffalo or the Rags.

Score more goals than they do, guys.

• Like 4

Obxer mentioned it before i added it, Sabres in white.

Edited by dinz
wrong timing