The Official Site of the Carolina Hurricanes
surfzone365

GDT: Carolina Hurricanes Vs Buffalo Sabres, February 7, 2019 - 7:00 PM EDT

3 minutes ago, Raptor1102 said:

Does Ferland still play for us?  Sarcasm alert.  I have noticed since he was moved from Aho/Turbo line he has all but disappeared?  Those with more hockey experience correct me if I’m not seeing something.  Is he just trying not to get hurt in a contract year and going thru the motions?  Did Rod move him to prove a point about his asking price (to show he is over valuing himself)?  Don’t get me wrong....I really want to sign the Ferland we saw earlier in the year but I’ve been underwhelmed lately. 

I told Mrs Feeder that earlier. What's up with that?

40 minutes ago, AWACSooner said:

Why?  This team hasn't exactly given us ANY reason the past few seasons to believe that they can pull it off in extra innings...and given how the D performed, the team looked completely gassed the last 10 minutes of the game.  

Wrong.  How many ways can this be wrong?  What do past seasons have to do with tonight?  Best period was the 3rd period, the first skinner goal a fluke on an attempted icing that bounced off a skate right to Skinner who made a great play after a minute straight of ferocious fore check. 

Your sig says "Rod Brind'amour is the MAN" and you don't believe your own sig.  He coached that OT masterfully.  The D you complain about shut down Skinner and Eichel 3 on 3.  I could go on and on but there is no convincing manic depression, only therapy.

• Like 3

24 minutes ago, Raptor1102 said:

Does Ferland still play for us?  Sarcasm alert.  I have noticed since he was moved from Aho/Turbo line he has all but disappeared?  Those with more hockey experience correct me if I’m not seeing something.  Is he just trying not to get hurt in a contract year and going thru the motions?  Did Rod move him to prove a point about his asking price (to show he is over valuing himself)?  Don’t get me wrong....I really want to sign the Ferland we saw earlier in the year but I’ve been underwhelmed lately. 

Likely still recovering.  He didn't exactly come back in a solid way.

20 minutes ago, hag65 said:

Wrong.  How many ways can this be wrong?  What do past seasons have to do with tonight?  Best period was the 3rd period, the first skinner goal a fluke on an attempted icing that bounced off a skate right to Skinner who made a great play after a minute straight of ferocious fore check. 

Your sig says "Rod Brind'amour is the MAN" and you don't believe your own sig.  He coached that OT masterfully.  The D you complain about shut down Skinner and Eichel 3 on 3.  I could go on and on but there is no convincing manic depression, only therapy.

Rod can coach masterfully all he wants...it’s the players that win and lose the games.  And their performance sboth in past OT/SO and the final 10 of the third tonight gave me almost zero confidence that they would pull it out.  

Best part of TT's goal was it's confidence, he didn't have that swagger earlier in the year to deke a goalie out of his pants. 

• Like 2

TT had the benefit of starting his career under the tutelage of Patrick Kane, Teows, and that 2015 team. His experience and time in the Canes system is paying dividends. He is once again surrounded by a core of great players and all of this coming together is exciting to see. 

• Like 1

9 hours ago, hag65 said:

Likely still recovering.  He didn't exactly come back in a solid way.

Agree. I think he's been put on the third to let him ease back in. Even so he hustled like nobody's biz to get the ENG at Pitt. I love what Aho is doing with Neiderreiter and JWilly, but I have to think that down the stretch we see the FAT line out in must-score situations.

Edited by top-shelf-1

1 hour ago, legend-1 said:

Best part of TT's goal was it's confidence, he didn't have that swagger earlier in the year to deke a goalie out of his pants. 

The stride he made taking it to the forehand was explosive.

2 points on the road against Slugs fighting for their lives( like us)............. priceless

9 hours ago, AWACSooner said:

Rod can coach masterfully all he wants...it’s the players that win and lose the games.  And their performance sboth in past OT/SO and the final 10 of the third tonight gave me almost zero confidence that they would pull it out.   

I hear ya.      Time to put "history" in the rear view.  Starting with tonight.

Every game isnt going to be a Rembrandt. Hats off to the boys for fighting off the slugs two comebacks. Ugly wins are needed to survive in this league. Ferland.....he will be back and when he is lookout. 

1 hour ago, slapshot02 said:

Every game isnt going to be a Rembrandt. Hats off to the boys for fighting off the slugs two comebacks. Ugly wins are needed to survive in this league. Ferland.....he will be back and when he is lookout. 

Yea. I recall a team back in 05-06 that had games like this several times. You always had the feeling they could generate a goal when they needed it, and always found a way to win. Not saying that this team is that good, just saying that it reminds me of them in that way. At the end of the day, you could never count them out, and they did WHATEVER IT TOOK. Nobody looks at the score sheets at the end of season, when playoff seeding begins. Just record and points. 

Edited by sleekfeeder

OK. This one has me believing even more. 

I proposed elsewhere, and Roddy agrees, that when we get to our game, we are very very hard to beat. The vast majority of this one the Slugs had the edge and we were not on our game. I'm not calling this a no show, because it was not that, only that the Slugs had that half step on us most of the night (there were very important and notable exceptions). Even with us bringing our B game, we got two points in the enemy barn. I don't know if we're that good, or that lucky on this roll, but this game would have been a loss most years. This team "finds a way". It's amazing really. 

I also don't think this was one of McE's best nights either. Not many nights we're going to give up 5 goals and walk away with 2 points. 

This team almost never gives up, and has a notable ability to bounce back that other recent Canes teams lacked. 

It would be nice if just once we could get a really friendly scoreboard, but we picked up points on Pittsburgh and Philly even if it was just one each. We are now cleanly 3 points back without beans. 

We cannot stop Skinner, who I think is taking things personally and really really bringing it against us. Can't really fault him, but that is a bit of downer. That, and letting them get a point when up by 2 with minutes left, and an unfriendly scoreboard for the most part are the downers. But it always ends up coming down to us. Keeping this thing rolling is all that matters right now. And we did that.

Despite being tired, TT makes a very confident move to win it. That confidence seems to be team-wide right now.

12 hours ago, Raptor1102 said:

Ever since the trade, Calgary fans have said that Ferland was streaky, "disappearing" for stretches of games.  As the Committee considers our options with Ferland, hopefully they have a better feel than us as to whether he's just not fully back yet or whether we need to be concerned with less than consistent play if we sign him to an expensive long term deal.     

Wonder what the Buffalo players had to say after the game. We're used to that side of the coin. Be interesting to see how other teams respond post-game, especially in such a pivotal game.

And WOW our GDiff is almost + !!!!

Edited by sleekfeeder
  • Like 1

3 minutes ago, sleekfeeder said:

Wonder what the Buffalo players had to say after the game. We're used to that side of the coin. Be interesting to see how other teams respond post-game, especially in such a pivotal game.

Skinner staring off into space saying they just didn't get it done and they need to work harder is my guess.

I like Skins so don't get me wrong but his post loss face is disgustingly memorable. 

Edited by legend-1
  • Like 2

11 hours ago, AWACSooner said:

Unlike last year where I'd have no issue drawing comparisons on a roster that continued to refuse to change despite being punched in the face I would agree. This year, the roster's probably 25% different from game 1 to now and has an added scoring punch. I think you're going to find that around the Nino trade things turned for the even better and maybe you can let your confidence go up a bit.

Not going to lie, going to OT made me cringe but theres a little something different these days in that I didn't feel like it was over either.

Oh well NVM the players in the other lock room are apparently throwing middle fingers at their goalies.

Not one goalie, both goalies. 

I would venture to say their season's over if that's their locker rooms attitude.

FB_IMG_1549647714465.jpg

Whats crazy is this was on the defense not the goalies.

The goalies werent leaving McKegg wide open on the backside of the net, leaving McGinn wide open in the slot, not beating Teuvo to an open puck right out side the blue, not hustling back on TT's break away.  Did I miss of their lapses last night?  We had our own but man the goalies have to be saying :shakeshead:

If McGinn came out and said that about McE last night, I would be blasting him.  

1 hour ago, sleekfeeder said:

Very closely related to another thought I've had, which is how we as fans perceive a game and how much different it would be for the same game if the teams were reversed.  E.g., the Canes might steal a win, but in similar circumstances but with the roles reversed, we likely view it as Canes blowing it.  Or, Canes firing most of their shots into the opponent's goalies chest vs., roles reversed, Canes goalie played a great game.  

No big point here, just a matter of curiosity to me.  

1 hour ago, legend-1 said:

Oh well NVM the players in the other lock room are apparently throwing middle fingers at their goalies.

Not one goalie, both goalies. 

I would venture to say their season's over if that's their locker rooms attitude.

Yeah, that is sign of desperation that is not good. It seems to me that goalie is the ultimate position that you can't just yell at them to get them to play better, and mostly it will just make them more tentative and lacking confidence. Even if it's true, seems like nothing good comes out of throwing the goalies under the bus. So, keep at it Slugs.

Typical Skinner game; pots 2, but is on the ice for 3 even strength goals by the opposition. His weakness in the defensive zone was no more evident than his poor positioning and lazy play on the Faulk goal. JF was his man, and he was a spectator like the rest of us. I think it was Scotty Bowman that once said; "Great offense is a gift; great defense is commitment". Skinner could be the poster boy for that line of thinking.

• Like 2