The Official Site of the Carolina Hurricanes
AWACSooner

GDT: Canes @ Rags...8 Feb, 2019

Carolina Hurricanes @ New York Rangers

8 pm EST, Friday, 8 February 2019

Let's face it...we haven't won here since Victor Hugo published Les Miserables...and I'm not in attendance, so breaking the Vancouver curse can't carry over.

At this point, all I can say is:
JUST WIN, BABY!

Need to put some goals in early. Typically B2B teams have the energy early and fade at the end. Take the wind out of the sails for the early so that they aren’t fighting at the end.

Hopefully we see Fleury in there for TVR.  

Aho’s line played over 20 minutes.

4th line barely played. 

Slavin, Pesce, & Faulk played over 23 minutes.

At Union Station 🚉 heading to the game. Got a good feeling about winning one at the Gahh-den. Go Canes! 😎

Edited by surfzone365
  • Like 5

If any stretch in an NHL season schedule can be considered "softening up" the remainder of Feb is certainly it. DAL the only real contender. Need a minimum of 12, bonus if we get more. Might as well pad it with 2 tonight and BREAK THE HEX against a club that's just really not all that good. After all, THIS IS HCRB's team now.

Hoping the D tightens up for Petr. Petr has played well but the D has forced him to be superman with the grade A chances against him in the last several starts. It would be nice for him to have a less physical game for once. Last 5 games GA 4,4,3,2,4.

Edited by slapshot02

34 minutes ago, 2ndsacker said:

If any stretch in an NHL season schedule can be considered "softening up" the remainder of Feb is certainly it. DAL the only real contender. Need a minimum of 12, bonus if we get more. Might as well pad it with 2 tonight and BREAK THE HEX against a club that's just really not all that good. After all, THIS IS HCRB's team now.

8th- @Rangers

10th- @Devils

12th- @Senators

15th- Oilers

16th- Stars

19th- Rangers

21st- @ Panthers

23rd @Stars

26th- Kings

Schedule lines up like you mention.  All 18 points are easily available, no world beaters in this stretch.  Based on the Montreal and the rest of the Metro, we may need 14 out of 18 to be in by February / keep up.  

Edited by gocanes0506

1 hour ago, gocanes0506 said:

8th- @Rangers

10th- @Devils

12th- @Senators

15th- Oilers

16th- Stars

19th- Rangers

21st- @ Panthers

23rd @Stars

26th- Kings

Schedule lines up like you mention.  All 18 points are easily available, no world beaters in this stretch.  Based on the Montreal and the rest of the Metro, we may need 14 out of 18 to be in by February / keep up.  

Teams tend to get in trouble when they look too far ahead.  All of their opponents are professionals and best mindset is to take each game one at a time, even one period at a time.  

Going to be a tough game to win.  Rags have the entire 1994 cup team in town celebrating their cup team this weekend.  Hopefully canes can play spoilers to the party tonight 

9 minutes ago, beboplar said:

Teams tend to get in trouble when they look too far ahead.  All of their opponents are professionals and best mindset is to take each game one at a time, even one period at a time.  

I dont think the team is looking ahead.  I am to see what we need to do keep the pace.  We're at a 70% win rate and a 73% point percentage since December 31st and we probably need to maintain that same pace through February to stay in the hunt. That is crazy. 

1 hour ago, gocanes0506 said:

8th- @Rangers

10th- @Devils

12th- @Senators

15th- Oilers

16th- Stars

19th- Rangers

21st- @ Panthers

23rd @Stars

26th- Kings

gocanes, "all 18 points are EASILY available", IDK? On paper maybe, but I hope that not a 1 of our 22 players has that attitude, because I see 9 teams that can easily beat us if we don't focus. 1st must break this jinx tonight, then worry about the next team. Go Canes

• Like 1

Who gives a crap that we lost here in the past?  All that matters is today.  We are on a back to back on the road, sometime take a look at the stats for that one (for all teams) and see what you see.

Regardless, no excuses.  Every game is important but I am not going to lose sleep over it if it doesn't work out in a tough situation.  12-4-1 since December 31 is +8 over a 17 game stretch, which projects to  +38 winning at that pace for a season.  Believe it or not, we will lose occasionally. 

I am enjoying this for what it is, my team winning a lot of games against teams I loathe.  If we win tonight it is nirvana.

• Like 3

I have to think this team now on this unholy roll has to look at that MSG record and go, "this stops here". 

I know we don't all read all posts, but I did put a pretty in depth analysis of the schedule just yesterday about half way down this page: http://fans.hurricanes.nhl.com/community/topic/24330-in-season-2018-2019/?page=86

Bottom line is two things.

1. The degree of difficulty of our schedule starts to pivot after this game to more winnable. 

2. The degree of difficulty for every team we are near in the standings will be harder after tonight. 

Of course this doesn't mean any team will automatically win or lose those games, and of course Rod isn't telling the guys, "just get through this next one and it get's easy". 

I tend to look at it differently. I look at the path to this point and see a team that has overcome a much more difficult schedule to establish it's game. So long as they don't let up, the teams we face after tonight mostly can't stop that game. 

As with last night, tonight will tell it's own tale. But the losing streak in MSG is just insane. But then, so was the one in Vancouver.

My caution about an "easier" schedule is that the Canes seem to sometimes play-down or play-up depending on the opponent (the recent Ottawa and Rags games as compared to Nashville, Calgary, Isles, and even TB).  Not sure if that's coincidence or an artifact of the Canes "game" being one of aggression bordering on desperation, where a slight subconscious letdown in an "easier" game could be fatal given that even the worst NHL teams are still NHL teams.    

• Like 1

I would agree that the playing down is a potential concern. Of course of all of the concerns out there, that's a pretty good one to have. Personally, I think an individual game is more of an issue for that vs. a string of games. 

Anything can happen of course, but somehow I tend to see this team just rolling it's game out there and not getting too overconfident about the opponent. It should translate into more wins, even if they play down a couple of times.

The thing that I'd get a bit concerned about would be if the goals start drying up. We are not playing a button-down game. It's the open it up and take the mistakes game that Brind'Amour said he wanted. So if the goals start drying up, we get back to losing probably.  I do find it encouraging though that this team is following the plan that the coach set out at the very beginning and it's working. That just seems more encouraging than not knowing what's working. 

Normally this would be a natural let up game. Two big road wins, including one with a mixed effort, heading into a back to back vs rested, and 3rd in 4, on the road...just natural to let this one slip. And we very well may. 

But...

This team is different. They've performed surprisingly well in B2Bs and even 3rd in 4 B2B vs rested. Also, I have to think that they are going to want to end that insane losing streak and this might motivate them. Mrazek is capable of stealing games too. 

I'm not laying a bet on this one, but I would not be surprised either way. Let the good times roll.

45 minutes ago, remkin said:

. . .

I'm not laying a bet on this one, but I would not be surprised either way. Let the good times roll.

Laissez Les Bon Temps Roulé!  (in before Kjunkane :P)

Edited by LakeLivin

25 minutes ago, KJUNKANE said:

Muy Bien, Mon Ami !!! But more correctly its Laissez Les Bon Temps Roule

Fixed, I know when to defer to the experts. :grin:

Edited by LakeLivin

I'm sure Mac's shutout and back to back assignment were duly noted by Mrazek.  I can see him as extra motivated and putting up a stellar performance tonight. :crossfingers:

• Like 1

1 hour ago, remkin said:

For a little more interest I'm betting on this one.Dangerous to do so with 3 in 4 days and the opponent rested but I'm taking the Canes while getting 1 1/2 goals. The over under is at 6.

5 minutes ago, slapshot02 said:

For a little more interest I'm betting on this one.Dangerous to do so with 3 in 4 days and the opponent rested but I'm taking the Canes while getting 1 1/2 goals. The over under is at 6.

Well 1.5 goals is good. We don't tend to get blown out unless we no show. Probably people looking at that horrendous losing streak and the B2B on the road. But lately betting on the Canes has been a good move.