The Official Site of the Carolina Hurricanes
AWACSooner

GDT: Canes @ Debbils, 10 Feb 19

6 minutes ago, bluedevil58 said:

Typical story playing out.

Actually, no, over the past 16 games. But you had to be here to know that.

Also, in the future, please attribute your posts when appropriate. i.e., How To Be A Pretend Fan, Epilogue: What To Post When You Just Want To Come Off Like A Moron.

Gotta say we fought very hard to tie it. I only saw last part of game on nhl network since I live out of the Canes viewing area.  I know we aren’t going to win every game but it’s tough losing them to teams below us. 

1 minute ago, top-shelf-1 said:

Actually, no, over the past 16 games. But you had to be here to know that.

Also, in the future, please attribute your posts when appropriate. i.e., How To Be A Pretend Fan, Epilogue: What To Post When You Just Want To Come Off Like A Moron.

I apologize for having this thing called "a life".  I do not need to be on here 24-7 to be a fan.

This was a Hurricanes type game that they Hurricaned up. If we beat Ottawa then we’re still okay.  

PP still sucks

Rod has to get the team to understand we cannot have another period like period 1. We should have dominated that period with their 3 penalties, yet we left down 2-0.  

Edited by gocanes0506
  • Like 4

13 minutes ago, 2ndsacker said:

Pesce overskated the play. Guard the trailer when someone else has the pass.

Pesce got puck focused instead of picking up the trailer. Let Faulk and Mrazek worry about the shooter.

Yes, warned as I was and several did so about this being a "trap game", I let my heart rule over my head. As top points out above, if we learned and play our game against Ottawa, then all will be well. So easy to forget the tremendous effort this team has expended in the 3 road wins, and though the Devils surely played the night before, they are playing lose with nothing to lose and pride in themselves. And they obviously were warmed up to start while we sleepwalked thru that 1st period.That and the pathetic power play which defies my reasoning to understand why we just do not seem to master the art of scoring on the man advantage, FOR 9 YEARS NOW. Absolutely no DYNAMIC movement. It just seems to me that if our players would pay attention to several other team's PP that they would pick up pointers by osmosis, but I suppose that you've got to play with the cards (players) you are dealt?  

Wasn't the last game against the Devils the one where Williams got called for the phantom goalie interference? The call against Nino was huge and likely cost the boys at least a point. You obviously never know how things will go with that much time left in a tie game, but the push from the Canes looked to me like it would've been good enough to at least force overtime, possibly more.

Can't win them all, but tough to swallow yet another game where a bad call had such a large impact on the final result.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, bluedevil58 said:

I am a realist.  Until this team proves me wrong and actually makes this thing called the playoffs I will stand by my statements until proven otherwise.

It’s coming. I believe!

On 2/5/2019 at 5:29 PM, realmdrakkar said:

I'm not going to say it's over if they lose tonight, but they can only afford 1 loss on this trip and it can't be to Buffalo or the Rags.

Maniscalco - 'What's is going to take to come out of tonight's game with a win?'

Player - 'Well, Mike, we need to score more goals than they do.'

Score more goals than they do, guys.

Wasn't able to watch today so i had to live the game vicariously through reading the posts here when i got home.  Never want to lose a game but i stand by what i said - can afford 1 loss on this trip and it can't be to Buffalo or the Rags.  And it wasn't.  They win in Ottawa, all is still well.  The age-old critique of the power play obviously still holds true - they have to get it going.  But, again, beat Ottawa and we live to see another day.  I'll be watching.

2 hours ago, Stealth-ch1 said:

Wasn't the last game against the Devils the one where Williams got called for the phantom goalie interference? The call against Nino was huge and likely cost the boys at least a point. You obviously never know how things will go with that much time left in a tie game, but the push from the Canes looked to me like it would've been good enough to at least force overtime, possibly more.

Can't win them all, but tough to swallow yet another game where a bad call had such a large impact on the final result.

Stealth, I don't recall the call on Williams to which you refer, but this one on NN was certainly more 50/50, with both struggling for position? IMHO, and with my admitted team bias, I thought NN got pushed inward from the overhead angle. My again biased problem with the call was that it was made from the left judge, thus he could not appreciate the struggle going on from the right? Apparently HCRB thought it was either the correct call or too very close to call, so didn't challenge? If the goal would have been allowed however, I think we would have won the game, but I guess those are the bounces?

4 minutes ago, KJUNKANE said:

Apparently HCRB thought it was either the correct call or too very close to call, so didn't challenge? I

Or he’s lost so damn many of them that he’s given up trying even when there’s a good chance he’d win.

18 hours ago, Canesfanforever said:

I have always hated the devils ,   they are like a  skunk their stench  tends to linger !  Someone quick get the tomatoes  and drown that smell  they put on the Canes !

Forgot to set my DVR so missed the first half of the game.  Apparently that was a good thing, as the boys looked pretty good from where I picked up the game.  Too bad they didn't start on time and couldn't finish it off once they did start.

Anyways, reading through this thread after the game I realized that I might be able to bring something positive to it, at least to some pet owners.  Tomato juice doesn't neutralize skunk spray, but there is a solution that actually does work.   I successfully used it on my dog when he was sprayed by a skunk years ago. :thumbsup:  

The recipe and some other interesting info from the guy who formulated it:     http://home.earthlink.net/~skunkremedy/home/sk00001.htm

The story behind the discovery:      https://www.chicagotribune.com/news/ct-xpm-1994-11-25-9411250251-story.html

[Should also work to neutralize the odor of decomposing flesh, as the same compounds (thiols) make it and skunk spray so stinky] 

Edited by LakeLivin

Can't win em all, but boy I wish they'd beat the teams below them in the standings with more efficiency. It's easier to chew on losing to a team way above you, it makes sense. Losing to the Devils, doesn't whether it was a trap or not.

It was a disappointing loss. We did make a game of it and never stopped looking for the equalizer. Nj wasn't very good but neither were we.I came away thinking I'm not sure anyone deserved to win that game.  I guess the lesson is nobody is going to hand you a win. You need to earn it.

I hope we as a team came away from the loss a little angry with something to prove. Prove that as a team we are better than how we played Sunday.

We are still in the hunt.

• Like 2

12 hours ago, KJUNKANE said:

Apparently HCRB thought it was either the correct call or too very close to call, so didn't challenge?

I think there is nothing HCRB could challenge. NJ could challenge in case it was goaltender interference, but even though it was not (as assessed by referees).

According to them, it was just Nino interference on the defenseman - I believe it is not challengeable from our side. Correct me if I am wrong, hockey minds.

Watched the game later on DVR. I know when the Canes are sluggish by how much I use fast forward. They just didn't have their legs or game or whatever to start. 

After reading all of the angst in this thread during the game, I have to point out. It's just one game. Every team has them. It sucks to watch it, but just be glad you didn't spend big bucks and drive to Raleigh for it. These guys had two of these in a row during this very run and came out of it to go on more wins. 

NJ was there for the taking, without Taylor Hall and a few other guys, but they have lost a few in a row and were not going to just lay down and die, which is what it would have taken in the first. Luckily they are pretty underpowered and we almost got it anyways. If Svech had scored on his doorstep chance, and immediately tied it 2-2 it likely would have gone differently.

Anyways after battling hard to win all three road games in the 3/4 nights, this was the let down game, and despite it all we almost got there. But it was a let down. Throw it out. 

I will say this. It would sure be nice to keep the run, get some help and not only get into a slot, but have a little cushion. Because until then, every game will feel like it is everything, and after taking 6/6 points on the most brutal part of the road trip, one let down game will open the doors to negative-ville and the perma bear will pop out of hibernation to tell us all is lost. 

Two things give me pause here. One is the continued woes of the PP. We got an early one in this game, and it was so lifeless that is just seemed to be telling the rest of the team, "we're taking this one off boys. Just go ahead and get some rest." You don't have to have a great PP to win, but a bad one hurts and has to be overcome. And two is that I just cannot believe in Mrazek. I know that there is the "we hung him out to dry", but he also hangs himself out to dry sometimes. Overall we have a pretty solid D, especially compared to past years, so I just can't overlook that fact that at some point your save % can't be excused away. 

I'll put more on that elsewhere.

I think Ottawa looms large though, because the first game back from a long trip is another historical trap game. 

rem, there's a poster on CC by the handle of flyingmybroomstick, who's a fellow Czech and obvious admirer of Mrazek. I say this as I frequently want to assuage his angst for his countryman, but I'm just not all that into PM as our permanent goalie solution. My thought, as you express, is similar, in that Yes, Mrazek is "hung out to dry", but how much of that is on him? It's obvious that he's a wanderer, and even with the benefit of McIlhenney in his ear, setting the example of letting the play come to him, and obviously taking a 1 year contract "to prove himself", admirable as that sounds, he's not been able to unlearn that tendency. So yes, I've got to say that it's apparent that our goalie problem has not been solved.

43 minutes ago, remkin said:

And two is that I just cannot believe in Mrazek.

I can't either, but i do think that outside of McElhinney he's the best goaltender the Canes have had since 2009, which says something.  Might say different things to different people, but it says something.

7 minutes ago, realmdrakkar said:

I can't either, but i do think that outside of McElhinney he's the best goaltender the Canes have had since 2009....

Marginally, maybe. Part of it might be a style thing, where his goals just don't look as soft as some of Cam's in the off years, and some of it is getting 4 goals/game in run support hides things, and some of it is being directly compared to the likes of Scott Darling.  But there is a reason he will likely see his 4th team in three years next year. I'd predict he's struggling to stay in the NHL in a year or two. I don't wish this for him. But I don't think he's our solution either. This is a very hard nut to crack though. Maybe we should pay Bob....no proabably not...

You know who would be a good back up? One Antoin Khudoben. But he's got a year left in Dallas and they aren't giving him up. 

I don't know the answer, but this team with a top 20 goalie would be ready next year to make the playoffs even without picking up another forward. And when the do that AND pickup another forward? But getting that #1 goalie is much harder.

38 minutes ago, remkin said:

Marginally, maybe. Part of it might be a style thing, where his goals just don't look as soft as some of Cam's in the off years, and some of it is getting 4 goals/game in run support hides things, and some of it is being directly compared to the likes of Scott Darling.  But there is a reason he will likely see his 4th team in three years next year. I'd predict he's struggling to stay in the NHL in a year or two. I don't wish this for him. But I don't think he's our solution either. This is a very hard nut to crack though. Maybe we should pay Bob....no proabably not...

You know who would be a good back up? One Antoin Khudoben. But he's got a year left in Dallas and they aren't giving him up. 

I don't know the answer, but this team with a top 20 goalie would be ready next year to make the playoffs even without picking up another forward. And when the do that AND pickup another forward? But getting that #1 goalie is much harder.

Marginally, yes. 

The one place i disagree with you is that i do re-sign Mrazek... to a 1-year team-friendly contract (and a 2-way at that, if he'd sign it) while keeping my eyes open for someone else, and if we find the guy, Petr's either picked up on waivers or he ends up in Charlotte where he's the first callup.  I don't count on him as the guy in Raleigh, but i'd rather have him in the hip pocket if no one else works out and McE signs elsewhere or is injured (McE is still the priority within the system, though).  I wish i could say i'd be just as confident with Nedl, but i'm not.  Hopefully we bring in someone over the summer, though, and if so, thanks Petr.  He's a bird in hand, though, who i have more confidence in that Nedl or Darling.

For me it depends on McE. If he has no interest in staying, I might look at Mrazek. But probably still not. I try for a different #1 beg McE to stay on, and if he wont' go clean slate. 

The exception for me would be if Mrazek suddenly started to up that save % at the end.

• Like 1