The Official Site of the Carolina Hurricanes
Sportsfan-1-2

Can the hurricanes stay hot?

It's nice to see the Hurricanes playing great hockey. What, are they 13-4-1 in their last 18 games.  They were 8-3-1 in January and they're 4-1 in February thus far.  One point out of a playoff spot. IF they win today they'll leap frog Pittsburgh and IF Pittsburgh loses tomorrow Pittsburgh will no longer have a game in hand and we'd still be in front of them.  I hope they keep this streak going.  It would be heart breaking if they end this year like Florida did last year; ONE point out of a playoff spot.   If they keep this streak going (I do believe they will) how many points do you think they would need to get in the remaining 27 games to make the playoffs.  They have 62 right now.  All bets are it will take more than 92 (Florida had 96 and did not get in last year).  Do you think the Canes have a legit shot of 100 points this season?  If they keep playing like this I'm guessing they do.

The Nino trade is playing wonders for us; he's been hot.  Mrazek and McElhinney have been solid.  Sure, they've had their bad games (like the game in Buffalo for McElhinney) but we won so I don't care.  Mrazek had his 2nd shutout this season vs Rangers and we got the monkey off our back in NY, haven't won their in nine years.  Got a huge monkey off our back by winning in Vancouver in January.  I was stunned to find out we hadn't won their in 20 years.  McElhinney had his best game of the year vs Pittsburgh.  I'd love to see more of that from both him and Mrazek until the season is over.

I've been absent for a while because it seemed that whenever I watched them early in the season they would lose (I was bad luck to them) so I thought it best to boycott (check highlights the next day since I have the NHL app on my phone) so they would have a better chance to win.  It seems to have worked.  Because they're playing better, but now since it's crunch time I'm going to start watching them again and hopefully I won't be a jinx to them again.  So far, they haven't let me down.  I watched both the Buffalo and Ranger games in their entirety and bits and pieces of the Pittsburgh game.   I don't know what's really changed this year in regards to the teams play (except juggling of lines) from now to early on.  Don't see any changes.  It just seems they're getting the bounces now.  The law of avgs is finally paying dividends.  All the great chances they had early in the season that would not go in are now going in. 

Here's to hoping they stay hot and continue their great play in NJ today.  Here's to hoping Columbus, Washington and Pittsburgh all start playing mediocre hockey for us to leapfrog all of them.  I know that's a stretch but we are so close and have a chance to be in sole possession of the final wild card spot after today. 

With their play right now 100 points is not out of the question.  To do that they would need to have a combination of 19-8 (doubful; hard for a team to play 27 straight games without an OT loss in their somewhere), 18-7-2 (possible) 17-6-4 (possible), or 15-4-8 (don't see them getting 8 OT losses in these next 27 though).

Oh, and can we please lock up Aho long term.  I was happy to see TT and Martinook signed.

Lets go, it's crunch time.  Finish the season strong.

This has been the Crux of the problem the last 7-8 years. Get a run in January.. Fan's get hopes up.. get to 8th place.. get excited!.. BOOM! losing streak ensues, fustration builds.. rinse/repeat.

"Sometime" this cycle has to change- here is to hoping its this year.

As I mentioned in the other topic, to be safe, they need 98.   Mathematically, that even isn't assured, but to miss at 98 would mean that the Canes lost exactly the wrong games (i.e. like against CBJ and PIT) and the teams ahead lost exactly the right games (i.e. against Western teams).  In other years, 94 is good.  Not this year.  94 is a toss up.  96 is probable, but dangerous.  Go for 98.

To get 98, they need to play 0.670.   In their latest streak, they have played 0.750.  So, if they can just keep the heat up, with even a few missteps, they'll be OK.  However, go back to 0.600 (gives a result of 94 pts) and they are likely toast.  It is that close.

One more thing we were discussing after the Canes failed to score on another 5 on 3 in the Devils game...

There will be NO PLAYOFFS ATTAINED if the team cannot attain at least a slight degree of competence on the power play.  They will not stay hot.

That is all.

Edited by wxray1

I soooo agree with you wxray, and this pathetic PP parallels the years we've not seen playoffs. Why is it that this is a perennial problem? It's obvious that the key to beating the Carolina Hurricanes is to take penalties as the impotence that shows on the man advantage is a killer. It's no wonder that the Marley girl ad has found a home on our commercials, it's just so apropos. That company needs to put up a board around the ice, and further when this team scores a PP goal, instead of  boberry biscuits, they ought to hand out free samples?  Shish

• Like 1