The Official Site of the Carolina Hurricanes
Sign in to follow this  
g105

Goalies

With the news that Scott Darling has requested and been granted a leave of absence, I started thinking about all the goalies who have played here.  Some good, some not so good.  Overall, who do think was/is the best?  I guess I'd say Martin Gerber.  Then maybe Cam.  Too bad we've never had a stellar goalie like Brodeur who was consistently good over a long time.

Irbe says no!

And Kevin Weeks had his moments too. The early days saw some good netminding. A couple deep playoff runs

Edited by Derailed75

1 minute ago, AWACSooner said:

Best tandem we ever had was definitely Irbe and Weekes

Even better was the brief period when we were juggling Irbe, Weekes, and Barrasso.  Yow.

If we're just going on name recognition then it's USA Hall of Famer Barasso, if we're going on who gave the Canes the best years it was Cam 2008 to 2012 with a big exclamation point on his 2010 season. Really missed the boat not putting a better team in front of him in that span.

• Like 2

Best goalies in order 

1. Irbe 

2. Ward 

3. McElhinney 

4. Gerber 

5.Weeks 

6. Kidd 

7. Khudobin 

8.  Mrazek 

9.  Barrasso 

10.  Lagace 

Edited by Canesfanforever

I copied this from another forum, so no idea as to when the article was or how much credibility to put into it.  But it does make me hopeful that perhaps Mrazek's history of wild inconsistency might be in the process of being fixed..

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

There was an article not so long time ago in czech press, discussion with Petr. He told them that in Carolina he has by far the best support staff (goaltending coaches etc) in his whole NHL career, and that he is learning a lot of new things, which should help him in future. 

• Like 2

1 hour ago, LakeLivin said:

I copied this from another forum, so no idea as to when the article was or how much credibility to put into it.  But it does make me hopeful that perhaps Mrazek's history of wild inconsistency might be in the process of being fixed..

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

There was an article not so long time ago in czech press, discussion with Petr. He told them that in Carolina he has by far the best support staff (goaltending coaches etc) in his whole NHL career, and that he is learning a lot of new things, which should help him in future. 

Likely another example of how "change of scenery" might be all that it takes to get a pro hockey player untracked, ala NN? 

35 minutes ago, KJUNKANE said:

Likely another example of how "change of scenery" might be all that it takes to get a pro hockey player untracked, ala NN? 

I'm hoping it's more than that.  If it's just a change of scenery I could envision a regression somewhere down the road.  But something like coaching seems like it could generate a permanent improvement.  :crossfingers:

• Like 3

Well, look how long Dubnyk was a backup and how many teams he went through before he finally caught on 

1 hour ago, LakeLivin said:

I'm hoping it's more than that.  If it's just a change of scenery I could envision a regression somewhere down the road.  But something like coaching seems like it could generate a permanent improvement.  :crossfingers:

Cant believe he was happy being buried on 3rd and 4th line prior to coming here. Instant satisfaction moving into the top slots.

1 hour ago, slapshot02 said:

Cant believe he was happy being buried on 3rd and 4th line prior to coming here. Instant satisfaction moving into the top slots.

I was referring more to Mrazek, who said he's getting coaching and support he never got anyplace else.  I doubt Nino is seeing much new other than motivation from Brindy.

• Like 1